Author Topic: Rome-Egypt  (Read 7072 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
Re: Rome-Egypt
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2011, 17:05:34 »
Mmm. I remember an animated Treasure Island too. This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk8VT5BsUfc&feature=related

Then there was also Monkey Island. But still, as somebody said, Asterix has always been massive in Europe, and Asterix = Romans, so ...
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 17:07:43 »
And then there was Treasure Planet a little later. i was older then though. Anyone remember that one?
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 17:58:37 »
Treasure Planet (the animation) is one my favorite modern movies from Disney .

Don't think that it's just the movie, remember the flood of toys and merchandise that comes out whenever a new Disney feature goes to the big screen. And look at Ben 10, in the small screen: IMO a poor and silly cartoon, but any kid in the world knows who the character is. So even if we "only have" POTC recently, it made a huge impact all over the world.

And for those who don't know Asterix yet, take a look here. The movies are pretty lame, but the books are fantastic. The worse part is that even after almost 30 years since I first read the books I still laugh at some of the jokes  :P  :love:.
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 18:22:22 »

Don't think that it's just the movie, remember the flood of toys and merchandise that comes out whenever a new Disney feature goes to the big screen. And look at Ben 10, in the small screen: IMO a poor and silly cartoon, but any kid in the world knows who the character is. So even if we "only have" POTC recently, it made a huge impact all over the world.

I would say that every kid in the world knows of pirates or at least the concept of them but only kids who watch TV know about this ben 10. Disney is just some corporation now that is all about mass marketing trends . Most of the new material is here today and thankfully in the trash tomorrow. It was different when Walt was there but now  :eh?: We will not even let our kids watch most of it due to its moral compass gone astray. Playmobil (at least used to) try to have a universal innocent appeal that any kid (in their target market) could recognize and relate to over many generations.

I would hate to see Playmobil take the same path as lego or disney and sell out to short lived trends

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 18:25:52 »
Would you expand on the moral compass bit? Im curious ...

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2011, 18:32:23 »
Would you expand on the moral compass bit? Im curious ...

Yes I will send you a PM later to not distract to non Playmobil subjects  :)9

I want to go look at more of the neat new sets  :confetti:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 18:37:42 »
Yes I will send you a PM later to not distract to non Playmobil subjects  :)9

I want to go look at more of the neat new sets  :confetti:
;D

Been going in and out of that PDF link all afternoon. I can't wait for September/October  ::)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2011, 19:29:40 »
Treasure Planet (the animation) is one my favorite modern movies from Disney .

And for those who don't know Asterix yet, take a look here. The movies are pretty lame, but the books are fantastic. The worse part is that even after almost 30 years since I first read the books I still laugh at some of the jokes  :P  :love:.

I love Asterix! ;D :lol:
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2011, 20:02:35 »
So do I and D does do, although I struggle with whether it is "age appropriate". I think the answer is no. but I let him watch anyway.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2011, 20:06:36 »
When I read it to my son, I usually "translate" a lot of stuff, since most of the jokes would be lost on him. Still, he loves it to death though he thinks Cleopatra is Julius Cesar girlfriend  :-[.
Cheers!
Luciano