Author Topic: best type of paint  (Read 11846 times)

Offline Clong

• playmo emt
  • Playmo Addict
best type of paint
« on: October 26, 2010, 19:22:25 »
Im getting ready to start my first custom ever  ;D. But I need advice on what paints to use.  ??? (my first sets will be modern city theme.)

please help :-[
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 19:53:04 by Clong »

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: best type of paint
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 19:30:56 »
Hi Cris. I use Enamel HUmbrol. It gave me very good results when using an airbrush.  :wave:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 19:53:36 »

I'm getting ready to start my first custom ever  ;D. But I need advice on what paints to use.  ???

Painting Playmobil figures (Klickys) can be a very frustrating and unrewarding task. Most paint does NOT adhere very well to the plastic material that Playmobil uses to make their figures.

If you want to "play" with your figures after you paint them, then you might want to take them completely apart. Put the inner frame, the belts, the head and the hair aside. You probably don't want to paint either the frame, the belts, the head or the hair ... ;) Tape the hands (or anything else that you don't want to paint - like the boots or the shoes) with blue masking tape.

Spray everything that you want to paint with Krylon Fusion "Dover White" paint and let dry overnight.

The Krylon Fusion paint adheres very well to the Playmobil plastic and will give you a great base coat for whatever colors you might want to use.

Testors makes a great enamel paint with a large range of colors in small bottles that are perfect for painting your Playmobil Klickys.

Round sable brushes can be cleaned with Testors thinner and will give you a nice smooth finish.

Since you live in the States, all of these products should be readily available.

Good luck and have fun,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 20:08:30 »
For vehicles I spray first with Plascote, then primer and then acrylic car paint.  If I want particular colours made up to RAL standard, then I go to Halfords and have them made up to order.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Clong

• playmo emt
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 21:06:05 »
Thank you all for the great advice :thanks: please keep it coming. I will post my pics as soon as I finish the set.

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 21:12:38 »
This is a great topic.  I also thank you for the information. 
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:48:00 »

Testors makes a great enamel paint with a large range of colors in small bottles that are perfect for painting your Playmobil Klickys.

Very helpfull and interesting subject. Thanks everyone for their input.

Richard, do you use primer with testors paint too?
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 13:58:53 »
Very helpfull and interesting subject. Thanks everyone for their input.

Richard, do you use primer with testors paint too?

Primer is best to use if you are changing from dark to light colors, or changing from a bright color like yellow to white etc. Using primer will aid in not needing to use multiple layers to hide the existing color causing a build up distorting fine details. I use an air brush with various Testors enamels. If you are just changing from a different tint of the same color, Testors paint can be used without primer. Remember the less paint you use the more detail will show through.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 19:54:47 »
Does anyone know that actual type of paint / ink that Playmobil uses in their factory?

Does anyone use a clearcoat over what they have painted? 

How about experience using Gunze Sangyo or Tamiya paints on them?  (yeah, I know, I should experiment myself and report my findings ... however, it is quicker to ask)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 20:23:27 »
From my visits to the Playmobil factory in Malta, the latest one since the new factory opened, I can say that the process is cellulose based.  It is also a printing process and not a painting one.  However, my most recent visit was some years ago and the process may have changed since then.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”