Author Topic: Making new parts with resin  (Read 5570 times)

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
Making new parts with resin
« on: August 31, 2010, 14:56:28 »
Hi!
As promised when I introduced myself, I'm starting a new thread about resin. How to make new parts? How to repair broken parts? Etc..
I don't have all the answers myself as I'm a newcomer in this subject.

I've been using/sculpting resin for over 10 years now in my practice. I'm a dentist. Obviously, knowing how to shape, sculpt and polish a temporary crown with resin did help when I started helmets. I made few trials last summer, then gave up. Then, cooster67 came home and saw my work and was quite enthusiastic, so I gave it another try during my summer holiday this year.

To start with, the materials I use are Magic Sculpt Resin (black), Plastiline (not Plasticine, Plastiline is a trademark, it comes in different colors according to its stiffness, I use the gray one), and Milliput (white). I have a few tools too: a craft knife (X-Acto with different shapes for the blades), a surgeons' knife, a nail file (metal, not cardboard), and some carving tools I used for wax when I was a student. I use a Proxxon mini power-driil with a selection of burs that I brought home from work.
The Proxxon is mostly used for the early stages of shaping, when thick layers of resin need to be removed. And of course you'll need water-sandpaper, lots and lots of water-sandpaper!

Getting started: You'll need an old playmo head, with it's hair. With plastiline, you need to fill completely the gap between the bottom of the hair and the shoulders, chest and back (all around the head) if you use a torso to hold the head, thus, also covering the face. I prefer to use the head alone and make a small stand for it with more Plastiline.
Last, but mostly important: you have to insulate the hair so the resin won't stick to it!, use Vaseline oil, olive oil, or whatever fat you want but you've got to insulate.

Then:Prepare a small amount of Magic Sculpt (instructions on the boxes), the size of a playmo head altogether, then you can either spread the resin on top the head giving a very rough shape of what you've decided to create. The important thing is to have an even thickness of material everywhere, it's always better to have too much cos you sculpt by removing material.
Or, when you've grown accustomed to the material, you can add small chunks of resin, one at a time, to create the different parts of your helmet. This will spare a lot of work with the drill, and a lot of dust in the house!

OK, let me take some pictures now.

Life in the so called space age...

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
Re: Making new parts with resin
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 15:16:18 »
Pictures done.
Here we go!
1_General view, Magic Sculpt, Milliput, Plastiline (the gray sick), etc..

2_Carving tools.

3_Some older projects. The one on the right hand is a helmet at its first stage. I never actually used this one.

4_Newer projects. A Spartan, a Greek (I know Sparta's in Greece too!), a Roman, and a Saracen helmet. None's completely finished, I still have a lot of sanding to do.

:wave:

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 15:18:40 »
More...

5_An older Saracen helmet.

6_An older Spartan one, with its Mohawk (King Leonidas's). I started this one again because it looks better if the cheeks and nose don't join (merge? please edit if necessary, thanks).

7_The Greek helmet with its Mohawk.

I also have a few closeups of the Spartan and others, we'll see if you behave.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 15:26:16 »
WOW WOW WOW!!! These are amazing!!! I see studying and practicing dentistry has indeed payed off Arnaud!!!!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: My father was a dentist...but he could not make the things you do  :D :D!!

You even use dentistry tools! This is so great!!!  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 19:54:02 »
Remarkable work, Arnaud!  Thank you so much for sharing the how-tos.  I just found Milliput in my local craft store, had never heard of it before reading the topics here.  I am anxious to try it out. 
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 20:47:53 »
Thanks for your comments. Tomorrow we'll go to step two we have to wait for 12 hours for the resin to harden.
Nighty night!

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 21:00:16 »
really great work Arnaud!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o playmobil should make these greek helmets ,it's like taken from Pericles 's golden age ,really beautifull  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 23:33:19 »
Thank you so much for sharing!! Great work can't wait for part 2 :-)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 01:39:55 »
Great job Arnaud! :o
I have my own way of making Greek helms,
Though they don't look quite as pretty as yours. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Mina

• Playmo Fanatic
    • our Playmoblog
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:00:15 »
wow!! this is awesome :) and thanks for the how-to, that's really interesting...

If one had told me that being a dentist could help in customizing Playmobil, I wouldn't have believed it!
I don't wanna grow up!

http://playmolocle.romandie.com/ -- our Playmoworld

http://moonymina.deviantart.com/ -- my non-playmo creations