Author Topic: WINTER OLYMPICS  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: WINTER OLYMPICS
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:23:46 »

I think they may have a toboggan and rider coming out in May to capitalize on the Olympics!  :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Gepetto ...

I suspected that there might be some hidden humor in their madness ...  :P
(So, why am I crying? ...)  :'(

All the best,
Richard

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 04:43:40 »
Hi Richard

I did not read all the posts yet but I am sure Playmobil is on it and like Gepetto mentioned Geobra is on it and the whole theme will be out in 4-8 years, and us in the US will be lucky to see them longer than one year in production :P

Can we please just figure out how to put a little fantasy in this, it would be so much easier for that one designer lady put some color into this  :cheerlead:

I do agree, Playmobil missed the boat. I do not watch the Olympics or follow them at all so I really did not see this pathetically missed marketing and sales opportunity coming. I guess every 2 years they could do the summer and then the winter. Has Playmobil ever tried to do it ? I would imagine the Audi logo-ish thingy is trademarked, so they do avoid any licensing products.  If so maybe there just are not the #'s to sustain a whole production ? There must be something stopping these opportunities ?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 14:01:40 »

There must be something stopping these opportunities ?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

I think that you may be absolutely correct, Ras!

Let's see, what could be "stopping these opportunities" for Geobra?

Please check all that apply:

__ Lack of Foresight

__ Lack of Leadership

__ Lack of Courage

__ Lack of Perception

__ Inability to Change

__ Other ? ...

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 15:08:24 »
I agree with all those and especially the last one Richard. Geobra are still directed by the same old man at the top, and until he gives more creative freedom I think they will always seem tramelled. The design team seem to be doing what is expected of them, nothing more.

They've just produced an (Award Winning?) Secret Agent theme? This is only copying what Lego did.
New Castles and Knights? Really just a revamp of the old stuff, I'll enjoy it but it's not groundbreaking.
Dinosaurs? Dinos have been popular with boys for decades, it's suprising they didn't do them sooner (maybe Hans Beck stopped them)
Ghost Pirates? Can anyone say "of the Carribean"?
Dragons and Dragon Knights? Maybe a little innovative, and they've raised a few eyebrows from people who worry that Geobra are losing touch with their roots.

I do note that Lego has also not capitalised on the Olympics, but I think Playmobil is ideally suited to creating "pocket mascots". With Lego you have nothing to play with until you've assembled the set, with Playmobil it's often virtually ready to play with out of the box.

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 15:17:36 »
so.....
have any of you created any winter olympics scenes?  i would love to see some photos if you have time.  not having the extensive collections that many of you have, i enjoy seeing your projects.  (although i suppose the emergency room is a distant part of the olympics, although hardly a featured scene.)
kaethe

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 16:01:28 »

I think that you may be absolutely correct, Ras!

Let's see, what could be "stopping these opportunities" for Geobra?

Please check all that apply:

__ Lack of Foresight

__ Lack of Leadership

__ Lack of Courage

__ Lack of Perception

__ Inability to Change

__ Other ? ...

Hi Richard

All the reasons you gave are internal conditions. I was thinking more on the lines of an external situation that may exist. I mean somebody at Geobra must have brought this up at a meeting. It just seems so simple and a lot of the molds like you showed already are there. If there is less upfront cost than you profit margins are much more appealing to do it. I know how larger companies sometimes get stuck in ruts especially if overall they show growth .

This is quite a theme that would seem to be right in line with Playmobil's philosophy. It is not short live, encourages exercising, not waring, countries coming together, they have plenty of time to prepare for special host countries exclusives . I am surprised that very few companies tries to capitalize on this event.

Could it be that a lot of kids are not interested in Olympics? If kids are not watching why would they ask for a toy about it. The parent is not likely to want to play Olympic cross county skiing or figure skating unless they are like us  8}

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 17:22:41 »
It's true what you are saying Ras, & Richard! Just think if Playmobil had come up with a neutral outfit, or found a way to put uniforms like they did on the soccer player themed figures, even possibly getting permission to use countries actual color schemes, (they had 4 years to get this handled), the potential would have been unlimited! Everyone actually attending the events look for souvenirs! Playmobil could have made limited editions of the popular athletes in figure form, & who wouldn't want to buy a figure set for $5.00 to $15.00 with their respected countries colors adorning a PM figure? A great amount of people attending the games grew up with Playmobil in their home country! They could have also offered a bob sled team, downhill skier, luge racer, etc. in a special PM member mailer! A true lost opportunity!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 17:47:59 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 17:29:20 »

so..... have any of you created any winter olympics scenes?

Nah ... we're all too busy trying to help Geobra to continue to be a solvent and successful toy company, Kaethe ...  :lol:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 17:41:44 »
I know Playmobil somehow soiled their copybook with McDonald's, but you'd think they could try a Giveaway with some other Fast Food (or Restaurant) Chain in the USA. Burger King, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Arby's, Jack in the Box, Wendy's and Carl Jr's are the fast food chains I can think of (in just ten seconds) that would welcome a marketing advantage against Mickey D's.

What Geobra always seem to overlook is that every collector (child or adult) starts with one set or figure. Give away 10,000 figures and you'll sell 1,000,000 on the back of them.

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 17:58:39 »
 I agree Martin, it would be cool for PM to try the fast-food giveaway again.  The problem I see though, all the toy premiums nowadays have some action feature and are all always riding the coattails of the latest Disney movie.  I just don't see any of the big chains taking a chance with Playmobil, even as a freebie with a kid's meals. 
As far as the Winter Olympics goes, I agree PM should have had a couple figures to commemorate, seems really elementary, but not a huge line, because playing Olympics would be yawn-city, kinda like watching the real Olympics.   ;D