Author Topic: THW jeep and trailer  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: THW jeep and trailer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 15:57:41 »
Is it just me or is the trailer missing  ???
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 16:18:54 »
Hello Gordon,

Excelent custom as allways ! You allways do such a good job on the paint work that you really can't tell that it has been painted. Where do you do your painting Gordon ? I allways do my painting outside but find that the 'atmosphere' has a lot of effect on the paint. I tried varnishing something a while ago and it was either too hot or too cold and in the end the varnish came out looking like it had a very fine layer of mist on the surface :o

Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your kind comments.  

For painting I use the garage with lots of dust sheets down as I painted the garage floor this year in  a nice shiny orangey/red finish so it looks smart to prospective house buyers.  I always see that the parts to be painted are dry and warm, letting them  warm up in the dining room in the sun.  If there isn't enough sun, then I use a hairdryer on low heat.  I let the paint sprays warm up inside too, but not letting them get too hot as I don't want them exploding and decorating the dining room walls!

To get a good shine (I just noticed the typo here and corrected it), it's important to paint when it is warm (16C or 61F minimum) and dry.  Moisture or dampness in the air will give the surface a "bloom" (that's the "mist" you mention) which you can't get rid of.  That's why I choose warm, dry days and paint inside.  (Painting inside has the added advantage that it can be dry inside while a bit damp outside.  I only paint outside if it's still, warm and dry.

For painting, I wear overalls, a face mask (two actually, a soft material one with a proper 3M filter type over that) and goggles (to keep the paint spray off my glasses).

The blue paint on this custom was made to order as it had to be RAL 5002 by Halfords using their minimix professional system.  It's £10.99 for 300ml but it is an excellent paint to work with and the can has a very fine and broad spray pattern which largely accounts for the good finish.  I intend to have even standard colours such as white made up using the minimix system in future because it is so good.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 14:11:44 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 16:20:39 »
Is it just me or is the trailer missing  ???

Don't worry, the trailer is missing! As some of the photos of the trailer had it attached to the jeep which was missing its blue light, I decided to do them again but haven't had the chance yet.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 22:46:22 »
Hello Gordon,

Thank you for explaining your painting techniques. I have allways been curious how you achieve such fine results. The only covered area that i have at the moment is our shed but it gets even damper in there than outside :lol:. I have noticed the bloom on paint before but luckily it only happens on rare occasions. It tends to be worse with certain colours as well. I will look into the Halfords spray paint as it sounds very good. I use Holt's automotive spray paints at the moment.

Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 14:13:31 »
One thing I forgot to mention about the painting process was that after a fine sand down I then spray the model with plastic primer which makes the paint "stick" better.  Then a coat of grey, red or white primer as appropriate, followed by the top coat.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 14:47:09 »
so let me see if i get this right   ???

1 Sand it
2 plastic prime it
3 color prime it
4 top coat
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 18:35:12 »
so let me see if i get this right   ???

1 Sand it
2 plastic prime it
3 color prime it
4 top coat

Yes, although I should add "wash it" before and after sanding it.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 19:04:25 »
Ok 

1 wash it
2 sand it
3 wash it
4 plastic primer
5 colored primer
6 colored top coat

Maybe someday when you do it again you could do a picture " how to " on your technique. i am sure it would be helpful to all the would be customizers out there especially on what products you use . Model airbrush or store can, cleaners, enviorment, heat, spray style, how many coats, etc........... just an idea 

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 19:41:40 »
I'll give some thought to that Rasputin.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 19:59:44 »
Now here's the trailer.  It is the small trailer from the safari jeep set.  It's in line for a bit more custom work as I'm planning to try my hand at making a small canvas type cover for it.