Author Topic: I'm Anthony, from Canada  (Read 862 times)

Offline anthony120293

• Playmo Pal
I'm Anthony, from Canada
« on: October 04, 2024, 17:46:11 »
Hello everyone!

My name is Anthony and I'm from Canada. I'm 30 years old and have been collecting Playmobil since I was a baby. My older brother had a few sets so I've had Playmobil throughout my whole life.
Although I didn't actively collect for the past 10-12 years, I'd always reminisce by going through the catalogues and by rebuilding some of my older sets. I'd also occasionally go to the toy store and buy one of the smaller sets.

This past August, we had a record rainfall in my city and the basement where all my Playmobil and catalogues were located was flooded. The basement had almost 5 feet of water. I cleaned the toys but the boxes ruined, and even some of the toys were not really safe to keep. The catalogues that I collected over the many years were also destroyed.

It was a very unfortunately event, but at the same time it made me realize how much I miss collecting Playmobil (and the catalogues).
So this brought me to this forum. I look forward to slowly building up my collection once again and enjoying exploring and searching for older sets that bring me back to the good old days.
I look forward to meeting everyone and exploring more of this wonderful hobby with all of you.
Thank you for accepting me as a member and I look forward to it!  :)

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
Re: I'm Anthony, from Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 20:30:33 »
 :wave:  :welcome:  :wave:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2024, 08:50:16 »
Great to meet you, welcome Anthony. I'm in Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK.
What a tragedy for your childhood Playmobil! You may be able to replace the catalogues over time, though specifically Canadian ones may be harder to locate.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2024, 15:39:20 »
Welcome from Oregon!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2024, 09:43:46 »
Welcome from Portugal!

I am very sorry about your collection :(

I would think most playmo stuff - not boxes or catalogs, of course - would survive a flood well (as longa as not lost) - though I have no experience, thank the gods.

Offline anthony120293

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2024, 14:28:50 »
JLMatterer, GrahamB, Tiermann and tahra,
Thank you very much for the warm welcome. It is very much appreciated!! :)
This seems like a great community and I appreciate your kind words.

To be honest I do not mind where the catalogues are from. It would be best if I find Canadian ones, but I just enjoyed the images the most, which is universal. One user was kind enough to share online versions of the catalogues which has been great to go through again!

The Playmo is not really ok to use because the dirt and "stuff" (partial sewage water from overflowing sewage) got so deep into the cracks of the toys. I tried using a toothbrush to clean but it just doesn't feel the same.
Thank you so much again for your kind words. The collecting begins anew  :)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2024, 18:52:08 »
Welcome from yet another of your southern neighbors!

I'm sorry to hear you got flooded. Did you lose any stickers or paper parts? Depending on the set, one of us might have scans.