Author Topic: Set 71680:10 Asterix characters  (Read 1003 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Set 71680:10 Asterix characters
« on: July 15, 2024, 18:14:58 »
Recently released, this set is available for 45 Euros on the Playmobil German site. That works out as 4.5 Euros per figure, which I suppose is quite reasonable for a Licensed figure (all 10 figures, plus Dogmatix, are closely based on the Goscinny/Uderzo original cartoons).

Getting this set would be one way of getting ten of the Asterix klickies, for example if you wanted to fill all the seats at the banqueting table in set 70931; the box art on 71680 actually suggests this:

I wonder why Caesar is creeping about in the background? Perhaps all his spies have fallen foul of the Gauls? And did the Gauls really have birthday cakes?

Anyway, the banquet set 70931 already has Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix in it.

Here are the (English) names of the ten figures and which sets they have already appeared in:

Asterix has previously appeared in sets 70931, 70933, 71087, 71148, 71160, 71269 and 71542.
Dogmatix and Obelix have both previously appeared in set 70931, 71148, 71160, 71268 and 71542

The fourth figure on the top row has not been in a set before, but I found her on German eBay, described as 'French promo.' Please tell us if you know more about this figure.

So, in conclusion, I do not think I will be buying this set as all the figures duplicate ones which can easily be obtained in other sets (unless you live in the US/ Canada), apart from the French Promo.

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Re: Set 71680:10 Asterix characters
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 14:54:25 »
It honestly seems a little pointless with Asterix and Obelix already appearing in so many sets and them being easy enough to pick up in a small one.

Also odd that Ceasar and a random clicky are in there as well instead of other familiar faces of the village. Like I don't think the blacksmith and his wife ever made an appearance yet at all. Nestorix and his wife would also be better picks.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 16:06:42 »
It honestly seems a little pointless with Asterix and Obelix already appearing in so many sets and them being easy enough to pick up in a small one.

From a marketing perspective, I'd assume this is aimed at adults who might want the figures to display but not whole sets, so it works quite nicely for them to have it as a complete set

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 22:01:50 »
I bought this set as part of an eBay Asterix bundle; I already have all of the figures, including the French promo, so I won't be opening it any time soon... if ever.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 09:23:45 »

Also odd that Ceasar and a random clicky are in there as well instead of other familiar faces of the village. Like I don't think the blacksmith and his wife ever made an appearance yet at all. Nestorix and his wife would also be better picks.
The blacksmith is an obvious one that is missing. I'm glad they've done a couple of characters from the newer books by Ferri but the blacksmith and his wife should be the next ones done which would then complete the main village buildings. A roundhouse would be nice at some point if the series continues and a couple of children with an assortment of helmets.

I think Graindemais would have been a better fit in this set than Caesar. Okay he's not a Gaul but he's dressed like one. Actually the Norman kid isn't a Gaul either but he's a lot closer than Mr Caesar.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 09:39:23 by Klickteryx »

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2024, 00:15:39 »
Thanks for the review, GrahamB! I'm over the moon with the Asterix theme,* also the recently released sets like the 10-characters pack you have presented. Official prices are impossible but here in Germany it is easy to get them at massive discount, even immediately upon release. The new chariot is awesome, as is the aquilifer that comes with it (picture centre) – the first appearance of the standard Playmobil roman legs in Asterix green! :love: Nice variation with the skirts. Need to get a dozen of him.

They are overdoing it with the muscle arms, imho.

Take care, you all!

* With the exception of the Asterix and Obelix figures, because the first is a child, and the second a ... troll? At any rate, not a klicky. Was able to avoid Asterix so far, but unfortunately ended up with a bunch of Obelix while stocking up on architecture parts in set 71268 Edifis and the Battle of the Palace – need to get rid of those. :loco:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2024, 06:59:43 »
Great picture and very nice print on the scabbard. Give the Obelixes some big axes and swords and sell them as a warrior group.