Author Topic: Kidults buying power grows  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Kidults buying power grows
« on: June 25, 2024, 15:13:42 »
“According to the Toy Association, over half (58%) of adults bought toys and games for themselves last year. Top favorites included board games (purchased by 65%), arts, crafts, and building sets (61%), collectibles (53%), and video games (52%).”

“ Enter the “kidult.” The NPD Group defines this demographic as consumers ages 12 and older, and is the biggest driver of growth for the toy industry this year, according to the firm.”

https://www.emarketer.com/content/move-over-kids-kidults-new-demographic-shopping-toy-aisle#:~:text=Enter%20the%20“kidult.”%20The,year%2C%20according%20to%20the%20firm.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Re: Kidults buying power grows
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 06:51:46 »
Interesting that you posted this yesterday when I ordered more playmobil in a single day than I ever have. (After buying practically nothing for 8 years.)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 10:15:26 »
I'm not surprised, but since when is a 12-year-old considered adult?

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 13:33:42 »
I'm not surprised, but since when is a 12-year-old considered adult?

I'm also not surprised, but can you really count 'board games' or 'video games' that are explicitly aimed at adults, and even arts and crafts kits as toys?

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 14:11:31 »
I guess 12 year olds are considered adult since they started calling books written for teens as young as that, 'young adult' for some reason.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 19:58:02 »
Yes that is odd , a 12 year old is hardly an adult

Perhaps is the puberty effect on purchasing decisions

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 08:53:31 »
I guess 12 year olds are considered adult since they started calling books written for teens as young as that, 'young adult' for some reason.
That may be because a lot of adults like them too. In any case, books are different. There's a noticeable age overlap between kids who want toys and kids who read grown up books.
At 10 I stopped going to the kid's and teen's section of the library, and I was in the early years of my Playmo collection. At 12 I was reading gory, violent adult books and was saving up for a dollhouse.

I'm also not surprised, but can you really count 'board games' or 'video games' that are explicitly aimed at adults, and even arts and crafts kits as toys?
Yeah, I wouldn't count kits and games that are intended for adults.