Author Topic: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2  (Read 11277 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2024, 14:40:37 »
Looks like moving production to China might be off the table for now under current political conditions. I didn’t know the EU didn’t need affordable Chinese goods.

So my updated suggestion is to move production to a Chinese run mega-factory into Mexico

Playmobil has been been desperately trying to crack the US consumer nut since it’s infancy. Moving into neighboring Mexico would give it easy distribution due to our current nonexistent  border 

Then finally I’ll have a valid excuse to go visit Oaxaca

If the Americans attempt to collect import duties, I’ll just go down the street and walk across
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2024, 23:41:18 »
Given the mess the world has been in since covid thanks to China, it's not a good idea to keep putting manufacturing into the hands of that place - cheaper isn't always better.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2024, 18:38:44 »
I think they have no idea what they are doing... 

I hope they do get their act together.. at least.. please please please outlive ME!  :P

We as a community know more about the history and possibilities of their product than most of their management does.

I think that is a HUGE understatement. Overstatement?  I mean... look at the mess with the asterix fort.. I can just imagine it.. "wait, there was a playmofort?"   ::)

tahra's wallet only has emotions - JPSA's has a gun!  :captain:

Are you NUTS?! Imagine mine with a gun!  :0

Just need a about 50 of set 7400’s

YES!! (makes sure wallet didn't see this)

It really led to collapse of support for Novelmore and the entire Ducklas fiasco since Duck on Call was supposed to be supported by a full video series.

The sets were... strange. And the prices?! Who's buying a 50-60 eur odd vehicle for little kids!?

I DID watch the availale ep (s?)  - it was horrid. The story was awful. I don't remember, just that it was a lousy lousy message to pass to kids. Or anyone. They were beautiful though. I would still like to get the klicky, before being transformed into the duck (that I also have, and actally love ;) )

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2024, 08:25:20 »
Looks like moving production to China might be off the table for now under current political conditions. I didn’t know the EU didn’t need affordable Chinese goods.

They tried that once for their 25th anniversary - a free Playmobil torch with a special set - and the torch was rubbish and produced lots of complaints.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2024, 01:41:53 »
look at the mess with the asterix fort

You're talking 71542. I just got one - the building at least (used, and at a reasonable price). It consists almost entirely of parts of the last generation Western fort ("Fort Brave" 5245 / 6427) plus no more than one new part: the pointed tower rooftop (ETN unknown to me), commissioned, presumably, in order to match the expected Astérix look. It has been done many times before: the wooden palisades of the Western forts are easily adapted to the Celtic/Roman world, so it's good to see the company selling one such set. What bugs me, though, is the price. RRP at 80 € for 5 figures and a fort front is just avarice. I would never have purchased one at that price, and I am a fan!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2024, 08:00:42 »
You're talking 71542. I just got one - the building at least (used, and at a reasonable price). It consists almost entirely of parts of the last generation Western fort ("Fort Brave" 5245 / 6427) plus no more than one new part: the pointed tower rooftop (ETN unknown to me), commissioned, presumably, in order to match the expected Astérix look. It has been done many times before: the wooden palisades of the Western forts are easily adapted to the Celtic/Roman world, so it's good to see the company selling one such set. What bugs me, though, is the price. RRP at 80 € for 5 figures and a fort front is just avarice. I would never have purchased one at that price, and I am a fan!

No, I meant the incompatibility of the "palisades"... At least it was reported that way - I gave them up, though they look beautiful. I'd need a bunch for them to be of any use, so I might as well add to the old one...

That set is just misnamed (should be a fort entrance or something). And WAY overpriced (as most sets these days) - not a big issue in playmoland, where you can buy the sets for peanuts in a bunch of stores, but in the rest of the world...  :(  (especially after you know the prices there - another time playmobil makes fun of the customers, selling sets for 500 or 75 and them selling them themselves for 100 or having them in other stores at 12)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2024, 23:06:03 »
They tried that once for their 25th anniversary - a free Playmobil torch with a special set - and the torch was rubbish and produced lots of complaints.

That has nothing to do with the capabilities of Chinese manufacturers. It’s the fault of the person ordering the product. China has (as most do) a tiered system. Quality 1,2 or 3

If a customer orders an inferior quality product due to the cost savings you can’t blame the factory

You get what you pay for

If you want a quality Chinese product…..pay up
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2024, 08:38:55 »
That has nothing to do with the capabilities of Chinese manufacturers. It’s the fault of the person ordering the product. China has (as most do) a tiered system. Quality 1,2 or 3

If a customer orders an inferior quality product due to the cost savings you can’t blame the factory

You get what you pay for

If you want a quality Chinese product…..pay up

This was 25 years ago, so things may be different now.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”