Author Topic: Lost Kingdoms  (Read 6575 times)

Offline TableKnight

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Lost Kingdoms
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2024, 18:03:52 »
I was going to go in-depth about Rescue from the Dragon Fortress, Escape from Rock Castle, and Knight: Hero of the Kingdom in a similar manner as with Hype and the Kingdom series, but instead, I decided to make a proper family tree of the kings of Liore to show my ideas on the topic!

I used the shields from Tiermann's Animobil at http://animobil.info/shields/text/5d0863aa-379.html (hope that is okay!) and arranged them the same way I have arranged family trees for my other projects. I have also divided the family tree into six 'eras' that roughly align with the generations. I would love to hear your thoughts about it!  ;D

Era of the Kingdom 1

Artaher was king of Liore during the events of the Kingdom 1, where Hathol Dagnir of Ithis invaded Liore and besieged Ortirith. Dagnir allied with vikings from Kolmar, who sailed down the River Jaon to join forces at the Marduin crossing. Though greatly outnumbered, Artaher was reinforced by knights from Torras as well as the Brotherhood of the Swan, led by the famous knight Akron.

The siege of Ortirith's castle lasted several days, and the soldiers of Liore were able to hold off the Ithisian and vikings. Ultimately, Artaher and Akron were murdered by Dagnir during the siege, but the Ithisan army was pushed back and out of the country. Athrald, still a boy,  was crowned king by the nobility of Liore.

Era of the Kingdom 3

After the death of his father, the boy king Athrald was crowned king of Liore. Twenty years after the Siege of Ortirith, Liore was threatened by barbarian armies from Logar (Kingdom 3) led by Brutus and Gullmus Grimpus. They, like the Kolmaran vikings, also sail down the River Jaon and Marduin towards Liore. Corin Dagnir, son of the repentant Hathol, came to Athrald's court and pledged allegiance.

The barbarians laid siege to Ortirith's city and castle, and the battle saw many losses on both sides, though the men of Liore prevailed. After Corin's heroism, Athrald arranged a marriage between Corin's daughter Rorlena and his heir, Edgar. The remaining barbarians are allowed to settle in the eastern reaches of Liore thanks to the generosity of Athrald. During this time, the warrior daughters of Akron also make a name for themselves.

Era of Taskan I

The reign of Edgar saw discontent and further strife within Liore, with Grimbeard of the Rock rebelling against the king after Norbert defeated him in a joust (Rescue from the Dragon Fortress). Grimbeard kidnapped Norbert and brought him to Rock Castle where he was forging an alliance with the settled barbarians, but Norbert was freed by a knight of Liore. Following this, Grimbeard led an assault on Ortirith but was defeated.

Later in Edgar's reign, Grimbeard kidnapped Edgar's daughter Laura intending to ransom her, but she was rescued by Edgar's chosen champion, Sir Alexander (Rescue from Rock Castle). Grimbeard and his vassals would submit to Edgar, but continued to harbour their grudges.

Era of Taskan II

When Norbert succeeded his father, his reign was troubled and left Liore in a dire state (Knight: Hero of the Kingdom). The Great Storm left the land flooded, its structures damaged, and many of its inhabitants turned to stone. Forces led by Benedict the Dark devastated the land from their fortress at Dragon Head Cliff in the Land of Dragons, but order was restored by Sir Brian of Red Root who was betrothed to his daughter, Gertrude.

Norbert died without a male heir, and the throne passed to Lothair instead of his daughter. Lothair was regarded as a good king, and made many arrangements for his succession. However, after his death, Lothair's brother Toric stole the throne from his nephews, imprisoning many of their supporters and forcing them into exile in Angost.

Era of Taskan III

When the twin princes Lekler and Lother came of age, they waged war against their uncle for the crown of Liore. The two were supported both by Liore exiles, and forces from Angost at the behest of their king and Lekler's father-in-law. Once Toric was defeated after a great war, Lekler did not wish to share the crown with his younger twin leaving him embittered.

Years later, Lother attempted to rebel with the support of some lords loyal to his cause, but they were exiled to the southern mountains which bordered the Land of Dragons. Throughout Lekler's reign, there were several more uprisings in Liore both by Lother loyalists and the supporters of Gertrude's family's claim, leaving the kingdom greatly damaged by war.

Era of Taskan IV

After Lother's exile he allied with the Lords of the Rock and he planned his revenge. Lother was captured in the Moon Wood and was imprisoned in Ortirith's dungeons, soon dying. His son, Gram, would his father's plans come to fruition and waged a terrible war of conquest in Liore, slaying much of the kingdom's nobility and bringing Ortirith to ruin. Princess Lyzothe fled to Torras, eventually wedding its king Taskan IV, and Lekler was slain by Gram. Following mass purges, Gram became king and ruled with the dragon banner of the Rock.

Years later after the Second Torran Civil War and the defeat of Barnak, Taskan IV supported Lyzothe's brother's, Derod's, bid for the throne and deposed Gram. Derod was able to rebuild Liore and cement it as a strong ally of Torras once more.

Hope you all like this!  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 19:08:08 by TableKnight »
-TK

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2024, 15:55:34 »
That's a great family tree with heraldry, history, allegiances and betrayals adding fascinating details!

Just one point...

Later in Edgar's reign, Grimbeard kidnapped Edgar's daughter Laura intending to ransom her...

Wasn't Laura Edgar's sister?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline TableKnight

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2024, 16:41:00 »
Thank you very much! It took a bit of time piecing things together from Playmobil media + my own extrapolations, and it was a lot of fun inventing new characters and histories to fill in the gaps  ;D

I plan on making a much larger family tree for Torras' kings, as well as releasing the map of the world on here for you all to see (I made it a few years ago but I am excited to share it!) I just wish I had a space where I could make some accompanying dioramas   :( Oh well, the joys of renting  8}

Just one point...

Wasn't Laura Edgar's sister?

Good catch! I forgot to change that! It stems from an older version and a different interpretation of 'Rescue from Rock Castle' as I wasn't sure if in the game Princess Laura would be the king's daughter or a different relation. Because of the way I wanted the timeline to go, and validated by the fact that in the game (from memory and some clips I could find) the king never says '"my daughter", I decided that it might be better for Laura to be Edgar's sister! Thanks for spotting that I didn't change the write-up though  :lol:
-TK

Offline TableKnight

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2024, 13:52:41 »
I promised a map, but how about two  :lol:

Below is the the map of Ombaroth, which is the the name for the continent which has all of these kingdoms, and it includes many realms and coats of arms! I originally made this map a few years ago, but it still quite up to date showing where all of these places are in relation to each other and expands upon my map on page 1 :knight:

Note the Viking realm of Kolmar and the Barbarian lands of Logar in the north, showing that their armies went quite far south to besiege Liore :viking: There's quite a few dwarven kingdoms too, such as Kardum in the north, the Crystal Caves in the Palogrim Mountains surrounded by the expansive Plains of Ingelil, the city-state of Angarond just east of Torras, and the Kingdom of the Gold Hills to the south.

The Land of Dragons is one of the largest regions, home to good and evil dragons and their worshipers. Nestled in a hidden valley was the Scattered Forms home to the murcheners (rabbit heads  8}), and all across the continent are hidden realms of elves, gnomes, and more! There's quite a few fantasy races which I want to include in this project, here's the list of all the races and monsters that I've written bits about (and want to include in playmo-form  :D)

Dopplers • Dragons • Dwarfs • Elves • Faeries • Fauns • Frogmen • Gnomes • Goblins • Halflings • Humans • Mermen • Minotaurs • Murcheners • Mushmen • Rockmen • Sprotlings • Trolls • Undead • Vampires • Werewolves

Some of these I don't know how I will make klicky's for. I intend to use kid-figures for halflings (and those with beards for gnomes), green-skin + dwarf legs for goblins, faun legs for Minotaurs, but I have no idea about frogmen or rockmen!

And now for the second map :knight: This is still work-in-progress and I will make changes as I go along, but here is western Ombaroth specifically centred around Torras. I used Tiermann's coats of arms for this map, as I have tried to line up klicky heraldry with the kingdoms as best as I can (Walad and Suls doesn't quite line up though!)  ;D

Hope that you all like these maps and my ideas, I want to keep expanding as much as I can and I have a few klicky's on the way to represent some armies and characters  :)9

This could turn out to not only include a lot of Playmobil's knights themes and games, but I am really open to ideas from you all! I do wish that the Kingdom Map threads were still active/around as that (and Playmundo on Playclicks!) seemed like a really great source of inspiration and community, and while I don't think any of my stuff is even close to reaching that level I like the idea of a project becoming a resource of some kind in the future (I have made encounter tables, local maps of Balwen, and more...I don't think I'm ever going to let my dreams of a playmo-TTRPG fade away!). Sorry I am just rambling now  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 14:01:39 by TableKnight »
-TK

Online Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2024, 21:21:08 »
Beautiful maps  :lens: :inlove:
How did you make them?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 07:29:39 »
They truly are very attractive maps TableKnight! That first one reminded me strongly of JRR Tolkein's Middle Earth maps on the endpapers of the hardback Lord of the Rings books I borrowed from the library as a child. :)
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline TableKnight

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2024, 10:52:45 »
Thank you very much Macruran and Graham! Really happy that you like the maps  ;D

How did you make them?

I use Inkscape for mapmaking, and I have a drawing tablet as well which I used to draw the coasts and rivers (although with the larger Ombaroth map I did everything with a mouse!). I drew mountains and trees to then copy across the entire map (hopefully) in an organic way, that part did take a while though  8}

That first one reminded me strongly of JRR Tolkein's Middle Earth maps on the endpapers of the hardback Lord of the Rings books I borrowed from the library as a child. :)

I too was (and still am!) utterly enthralled by the Tolkien's maps, and I have very fond memories of being inspired by them to draw many maps as a kid! Happy to hear that the first one echoed a bit of LotR's map style  ;D
-TK