Author Topic: Playmobil will launch a Ghostbusters line in 2017  (Read 13571 times)

Offline bogol

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • FOCKENBERGH AERKOSMO
    • @mplified ideas
Re: Playmobil will launch a Ghostbusters line in 2017
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2016, 16:49:30 »
I am totally underwhelmed. PM doing a license is weird enough, but Ghostbusters? The new movie seems to be a total flop, not much to win from there. And the old one probably doesn't appeal very much to today's children. I may buy some stuff, some other collectors maybe as well. And then? If PM really wants to do a licence it should be something big, which will sell a lot, like Star Wars, LoTR, Game of Thrones or Star Trek maybe. But Ghostbusters? I really don't get it. You made such a great list of themes based on great literature in the public domain. So many possibilities, so license-free. And geobra gives us Ghostbusters... Well, still better than the Gremlins.... (Btw, the first Terminator movie was also released in 1984.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 17:25:08 by bogol »

Offline Scribbler

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2016, 23:56:57 »
I wouldn't mind a "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" tie-in. Imagine all the new animals!!!! (BUT if they do, they have to include stuff from the original Potter stories too... just saying.)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2016, 09:00:24 »
Unfashionably late as always, but still cool that Playmobil has finally seen the light re licensing. Problem is, the film was a flop, and if sales are bad, they might rethink the strategy. Should have gone with Star Wars or something like that. I imagine it would require lots of resources for the production of vehicles, and it would be more expensive than Lego. Lego star wars ships, like x-wings and tie fighters, are built from common, basic elements that can be produced and used in any number of sets, but with playmobil it would require new molds and so on. A man can dream. Imagine Uncle Lars, homestead, sandtroopers and dewbacks, Yoda's hut ...
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2016, 14:31:49 »
Soon they will be teaching Star Wars in primary schools.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2016, 15:13:51 »
Current reports on the new film are saying there will probably be no sequel, but that an animated movie & TV series may happen. That may be good news for Playmobil if it does occur, but the new film certainly seems to not be a success for Sony.

"Sony won’t comment on whether it has banished a sequel to the netherworld, but perhaps tellingly, a rep says the studio actively is pursuing an animated Ghostbusters feature that could hit theaters in 2019 and an animated TV series, Ghostbusters: Ecto Force, which is eyeing an early 2018 bow."

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/ghostbusters-heading-70m-plus-loss-sequel-unlikely-120409710.html

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2016, 23:34:21 »
Ghostbusters is a feminist vehicle full of man jokes and blatant sex changes for the principal cast. They even started with three white scientists and added a black person for muscle which is what happened in the original and that was the less enlightened 80s.
The director's publicity shots of himself included lying on the ground and being stepped on by the female cast.

No one had a problem with Charlie's Angels or any of the female action star roles that have appeared over the last few decades. Then this trainwreck arrives and suddenly the hate is because of sexism! 8} No, it is simply a bad movie which wastes the talents of what I understand are a couple of very good comedians.

It's a real shame that it will impact sales of this new line but at least they hedged their bets by having male ghostbusters (as well as female?) which will keep the original fanbase happy.

Perhaps they should do spin off Super 4 series but aimed at slightly older children. Alex goes off on his own adventures and the storylines could be based around Grimms Fairy Tales.
Gene and Doctor X face off against extra-terrestrials, deal with setting up a colony on another planet/moon. Ruby, Sharkbeard etc sail through a mist and end up in the Caribbean during the 18th century and they have to find their way back home while avoiding the various navies of the times and historic pirates.
Then they can tie in Super 4 with existing themes and also expand those themes.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2016, 02:24:21 »
Remember it's the original  movie that they have licensed.  Not the recent remake.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2016, 12:54:36 »
Yes sorry, I realise. It's a free for all with the GB these days. PM, Lego, Mezco, Diamond Select and a dozen other companies, all competing for the same market segment.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2016, 21:02:53 »
Not a good sign for toy sales?

http://pagesix.com/2016/07/07/ghostbusters-toys-are-already-on-the-clearance-rack/

Does not bother me, I just want the car, and if playmobil wants to put a new toy on the shelf only for Walmart/Target/Sears/The Bay to slap a 20% off on it I am all the more for it :D
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll