Author Topic: Prototype jeep incident support unit  (Read 6806 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Prototype jeep incident support unit
« on: March 14, 2007, 19:46:43 »
This morning my DS order arrived which allowed me to put together this prototype jeep support unit.  I've been thinking some time of a support unit for the new fire engines nearing completion (well, one is completed) for Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade.  At first, I toyed with a flat truck carrying palettes and a forklift on a converted 3880, but abandoned it as too much work at the moment.  (Tim, if you still have the pics, maybe you'd post a couple.) Finally, I bought an old red jeep and trailer off eBay and liked it so much others followed and became the basis of a number of small incident support units.  So here are photos of the first of them.  The livery is still undecided - I like the orangey red and the creamy grey livery, but wonder about the front mudguards and side sills being white or yellow (although this could be a bit of a fiddly paint job and I certainly don't have time for it now).  Experiments are being carried out on carrying one of the palette trucks from set 4474 on the trailer for unloading purposes, and there are also plans for a light pump based on a jeep.

There would be a jeep and a minimum of one trailer unit at each station, specific to that station but available to any incident.  The trailers would be ready loaded, e.g. one with foam, one with digging tools and so on.  There will be a spare jeep at HQ.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Prototype jeep incident support unit
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 20:02:42 »
The grey top is from the new release jeep for 2007 and with a bit of trimming to the side tabs which hold it in place fits pretty well perfectly (the gap between it and the jeep body is not as big as it appears in the photos).  The blue light is from the re-issued old fire engine and the light holder comes from the snowplough (and is still available from DS).  The light holder has had to be slightly modified and I may try other ways of fitting it (currently, it is fitted in to the fuel filler!).
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 20:59:57 »
Nice little jeep and trailer, playmofire! :yup:

Very well done.

Jimbo

Offline Outback

• The Original Playmo Jeep Guy!
  • Playmo Fanatic
  • Everything Playmobil Jeep!
    • Jeepmobil is being revamped - but there's Jeeps here!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 22:22:33 »
Gordon, COOL!!!  8-) I like this set-up. Very smart looking.

Glad to see you could make the soft top work too. Can't wait to get these parts locally myself. I also like how you've dealt with the flashing light issue. I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects. Can you post the part numbers?

As to paint jobs, you may be able to avoid paint by using the yellowish 3018 or 4206 chassis with your red body parts. Likewise for white you could use the old 3143 or 3478 chasis.

One additional note - the windshield frame from 3018 looks as if it could also be the same grey colour as per the soft top. If you want a closer match, that would be the one.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 23:01:36 »
Gordon, COOL!!!  8-) I like this set-up. Very smart looking.

Glad to see you could make the soft top work too. Can't wait to get these parts locally myself. I also like how you've dealt with the flashing light issue. I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects. Can you post the part numbers?

As to paint jobs, you may be able to avoid paint by using the yellowish 3018 or 4206 chassis with your red body parts. Likewise for white you could use the old 3143 or 3478 chasis.

One additional note - the windshield frame from 3018 looks as if it could also be the same grey colour as per the soft top. If you want a closer match, that would be the one.

Thanks, Dunc.

Part numbers are:  soft top 30 27 5940; blue light 30 02 1230; light support 30 05 9700.

The chassis are the old 3478 and I suspect that the creamy grey was one time brilliant white.

I tried the grey windshield but preferred the black version and the black bumpers (fenders) as it is a good strong contrast with the body colour. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that the original design of windscreen is too low for use with the soft top so the current slightly taller version has to be used but with the old, taller wheels this look fines.  (I feel that with the current lower, wider wheels the taller screen makes the whole vehicle look top heavy.)

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 02:47:19 »
Thanks Gordon.

Do you guys have the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser over there on the Island? If so grab one. I have found that they are great for cleaning up playmo plastic and will not hurt any printed graphics if used cautiously in those areas.

I used one to help clean up an old yellow'd boat I had here while using the standard soapy detergent and toothbrush method, and amazingly enough, it got it to look damn near new again. I don't know what these things are or what's in them, but they work wonders. 

It's worth the couple bucks to try and if you don't ike the results, give it to the wife for the kitchen. She will love it.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:23 »
I'll have a look for it Dunc.  For these, I used the soap and water method with an electric toothbrush and then a clean up with first T-Cut cutting liquid compound followed by car polish.

Yup, found some on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:57:13 by playmofire »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 15:08:50 »
Further testing of the prototype has led to a change in the siting of the blue light, a change in how it is attached, and the introduction of a whip aerial.  This has been achieved by cutting down the light holder and using a three-way fort connector to attach the items to the windscreen. This system has the additional advantage that by using a two-way fort connector on the other side of the windscreen the jeeps can operate with two blue warning lights.

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 16:59:35 »
Yeah that looks different. Good idea using the connectors. All sorts of possibilities open up. I think I prefer the light on the back corner, but that's just a quirk of mine.

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
    • Playmobil Fire Department
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 17:28:36 »
Looks great, Gordon.

Having special response trailers really is starting to fly in the US now. I plan to make some more soon, but first, I'm starting on a new heavy rescue.  >:D

Ben