Author Topic: Chicago Style Fire Engine  (Read 5510 times)

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
    • Playmobil Fire Department
Chicago Style Fire Engine
« on: November 24, 2006, 18:41:25 »
Hello everyone,

This is the first custom I've done in a while. I have to say it's kind of growing on me.

Ben

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Chicago Style Fire Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 18:44:44 »
Nice one, Ben, the old black over red of Chicago.  And it looks very neat.

What type of paint did you use, please?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 19:48:23 »
Nicely done, Ben ...

I looked at some photos of Chicago's fire trucks and your fire engine is spot on!

All the best,
Richard

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:38:31 »
Hey Guys,

First off, I'm glad you both like it.

Gordon - I used testors model spray paint. I'll have to look up the exact number and all.

Richard - Thanks for putting up some pictures of some Chicago trucks. I've always wanted to do a custom like Squad 2A.  ::)

Ben

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:10:03 »
Very cool custom truck, Ben! 8-)
The black makes a really interesting contrast to the red, and your paintwork looks very neat indeed. :yup:

Thanks for the pics, Richard. :) Saved me having to go googling for some reference. ;)

Offline Dan

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 10:34:22 »
Very nice.  On different coloured fire trucks Coventry in England has yellow ones I believe.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 16:24:18 »
Very nice.  On different coloured fire trucks Coventry in England has yellow ones I believe.

I believe that Coventry only had yellow fire engines briefly in the early 1970s.  Diane and I were married in 1972 just before Christmas and went into Coventry and saw one in the city centre as the centre piece for a collection for the Fire Services Benevolent Fund.  This was about the time the new colour had been introduced.  Earlier on, West Sussex had some bright yellow fire engines, and later on Somerset had a yellow RTA unit based on a Mercedes van.

The Isle of Wight was the last brigade in England and Wales not to have red fire engines.  Until the early 1990s they, rather appropriately, had white as the main colour with a red stripe round the waist, and very good it looked to.

In the 1970s, the Home Office ruled that fire engines had to be red in England and Wales, though no specific red - there is no official colour called fire engine red.  This regulation doesn't apply to Scotland, however, where Grampian Fire Brigade have white fire engines. In England and Wales, support units such as control and command units don't have to be red, however, and are often white.

Anyway, I've rambled on a lot here and so I'd better stop and take my anorak off! ;D

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 16:48:45 »
Great custom Ben, has just the right look.

My town has orange fire equipment, with blue striping and details. I really need to get some photos some time since it's unusual as a color.

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 19:03:09 »
Hey everyone, Thanks for the comments.

I've been thinking about painting all of my trucks, I just can't decide on what color. In southern Ohio I think every color combination is pretty well represented; blue, white, red, green, yellow, etc.

I'd like to do the colors like the department where Tiermann is. Orange and blue  8-)

Ben

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 03:36:13 »

Hello, Ben ...

Personally, I really like the old American fire truck colors. Deep cherry red bodies with rich gold pinstriping and lettering and shiny black (or red) fenders.

All the best,
Richard