Author Topic: Last Pics of Roman Camp Before tear down  (Read 7720 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Last Pics of Roman Camp Before tear down
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 13:33:39 »
An excellent diorama, Tim, with lots of great detail and ideas.  The bunks I especially liked.  It's a shame you have to break it up.

Yeah, it broke my heart also when I tore down sheffield manor at the beginning of 2008.  I document the stuff as best as I can.  For complicated stuff, like Sheffield manor, I even created blueprints on graph paper in the event I should ever want to restore it.

So will you be focusing on the medieval theme now instead of the Romans?

I knew the Romans used bowls for drinking but I didn't know they didn't use cups or goblets.  Interesting.

I'm working on a 12th century manor keep from a diagram in the "Castles" handbook Martin recommended to me a few years back.

And, again, it's really just because the medieval castles and manors are so (reasonably) well supported by steck.  I tried making a Roman villa with my steck and it just didn't look "luxurious".

As for Roman cups--I'd likely be wrong to blanket state that the Romans didn't use cups.  I guess a cup is really just a bowl with a deeper well, with the stems (as for wine glasses) appearing as the glass makers grew more artistic.

The bowl concept was impressed on me in China--my Chinese father-in-law drinks his beer from a small rice bowl.  And, in the old-time movies my wife watches, they use similar for tea and liquor.
-Tim