Author Topic: set 7968 - an ebay mystery  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: set 7968 - an ebay mystery
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 20:42:55 »
Quoth the seller: "i don't know the set with number 7968 ? i took a bag and sealed the article."

Just an arbitrary choice it seems.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 20:46:41 »
Mystery solved? Weird though that that set of the chimney sweep was in such a large bag, from 2014 no less.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 21:21:12 »
Weird though that that set of the chimney sweep was in such a large bag, from 2014 no less.

Sorry, but really, not weird at all... same set comes in different sized bags. And we KNOW they just loooooooooooove big packaging..

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 23:08:56 »
Pleased that you've got the mystery sorted.
It reminded me of an unsolved mystery of my own from 2012

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=11100.msg206784#msg206784

when I bought a sea life set which came not only in sealed bags but in a sealed box.  It was obviously made up of ds pieces but no one seemed to know anything about the set.
I went on to buy another two of the sets, all exactly the same.
Wonder if anyone can throw any light on this one now that a few years have passed?
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 08:21:53 »
No idea if that was what happened here, but I do know that on playmobil.be for instance, there are package deals to be found, sometimes including several animals from DS together, at a cheaper price (because they will be discontinued).

Example:

http://www.playmobil.be/on/demandware.store/Sites-BE-Site/nl_BE/Product-Show?pid=BE1407D&showSpareParts=false&cgid=DISCONTINUED#cgid=DISCONTINUED&start=19

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 13:04:25 »
I think Birdie's suggestion probably applies to your purchase, Skypurr. I am sure Geobra do sell off "ad hoc" lots when they have surplus items. The 5-digit number 10458 on the box might be an ad hoc set number of some sort. Some of the key chains shown in Collector have 5- digit numbers (others have 4-digit numbers or 8-digit numbers beginning 30).

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 13:57:56 »
In the Dutch DS we have those package deals too, its how I got some Lion guards + a Lion captain. Which werent listed in the medieval category. Much of other stuff there too not listed elsewhere.

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 14:07:02 »
I presumed it was some sort of ds lot, perhaps in another country, but at the time nobody seemed to know about them. 
I was really pleased though as I got some great bargains, especially as we were making a safari park and an underwater diorama at Kirkbean Exhibition that summer.
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 15:11:54 »
Not only are there "DS bundle" lots there are also  company to company bundles. I have bought a few "store display" boxed sets. The ones I got were larger sets but consisted of many sets packaged together sealed from the factory. The sets were even mostly built already in the sealed box. They had longer set numbers. There must be a list from geobra when a store wants to order these. Digging the boxes we have out of the barn is out of the question but I will ask our local distributor for his list or info.

You sure did get a bargain.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline marb2777

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 04:29:15 »

Last year , I ordered some parts from DS , with it,  I got a nice thank you card and a bag with 3 Knights , just like that sealed bag and weird ref.  ;D  so they might be special gifts from DS