Author Topic: onna-bugeisha  (Read 1749 times)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
onna-bugeisha
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:20 »
An onna-bugeisha was a female member of the bushi (samurai) class in feudal Japan,
trained in the use of weapons to protect their household, family, and honor at war.

They exist in sufficient numbers over a period of eight centuries on battlefields, warships, and the walls of defended castles.
From noblewomen to peasant farmers.
Fighting beside their men-folk with a determination and bravery that belies their gender,
and when the ultimate sacrifice is called for, they go willingly to their deaths as bravely as any male samurai.

In the Battle of Senbon Matsubaru between Takeda Katsuyori and Hojo Ujinao in 1580,
DNA tests on 105 bodies discovered in the battlefield, revealed that 35 of them were female.
None was a siege situation, women fought in armies even though their involvement was seldom recorded.

A defended castle where the daimyo (feudal lord) was absent and the responsibility for defence had to be assumed by his wife,
or the wife of his most senior retainers.
One for them was the defence of Suemori castle in 1584 by the commander’s wife is as glorious an episode of samurai bravery as can be found anywhere.

The women were expected to fight to the end and die with honor, weapons in hand...
...this is one 'Geisha' you wont want to temper with.

and Arnaud, your 2 short swords are perfect for her in close indoor combat, thanks again!

Offline henry_martini

• Playmo Addict
Re: onna-bugeisha
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:19 »
Inspiring.  :)
@geobra: Thanks a lot! :-)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:02 »
I like her very much - and thanks for the lesson, as always..

(her weapons look great too!)

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:45 »
Very nice idea cheng!!!

George. :)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 15:55:46 »
Looks good!

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 16:25:59 »
I must say I wish they'd given her a more complicated hair style, with buns and ribbons and sticks, but hey! they don't listen.
I love her with that Naginata, though I'd rather you'd cut the machete after the stop and not before.
Glad the Wakizashi fit here too. You just need to paint the handle for the one in her left hand! (Spotted!)
 :love:
A.
Life in the so called space age...

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 00:34:59 »
thanks Playmofriends! :love:

I must say I wish they'd given her a more complicated hair style, with buns and ribbons and sticks, but hey! they don't listen.
I love her with that Naginata, though I'd rather you'd cut the machete after the stop and not before.
Glad the Wakizashi fit here too. You just need to paint the handle for the one in her left hand! (Spotted!)
 :love:
A.

good thing about PM customs is that we can keep improving them...someday some geisha with buns with 'chopsticks' might come as a new Fi?ure or they might decide to celebrate the wedding of a Japanese princess ;)
Point taken on the Naginata ;)
was going to paint the handle of the 2nd Wakizashi but looks kinda boring to have 2 similar ones and I was also wondering if there might have been an ivory handle wakazashi (unlikely, since they had no source of ivory back then...do let me know if there's any other colours I can paint the handle...I was thinking of red but not confident of its accuraccy :-\

Offline Limorrj

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 03:29:23 »
Cheng,
Very nice custom and history lesson.
Keep improving your asian customs.
Greetings.
Leonardo

Offline stroebel83

• Playmo Pal