Author Topic: Question about TRU  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
Question about TRU
« on: February 16, 2010, 23:55:41 »
Went to a TRU the other day and they had the big circus set on clearance for 39.99.  I went to another TRU a couple days later and they had the big circus sets for 84.99.  Are TRU independent from each other?  I could kick myself in the butt for not getting one or two at 39.99.  Instead I picked up the Red Corsair pirate ship.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: Question about TRU
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 00:09:50 »
Hi Elric

No they are all privately owned by one group. Their sales and clearance items do vary from store to store and it might have to do with how well an item sold for in that geographical area or some similar explanation. The stores will not honor other stores prices and a store will not honor TRU.com prices either so they are run as though they are independent but overall they are all one company. I have never talked to a district manager and he or she would be the ones to ask, or maybe call the 1-800 number, they are happy to help.

Can you go back and get the Circus, it is a great price and I am happy to say I was fortunate enough to get one.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk" 
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline wonderland5

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 21:56:50 »
Elric, did you ask them to check the price?  In my experience, TRU doesn't do a very thorough job of marking their clearance items--I have seen the same item with two different prices right next to each other.

Betsy

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 22:28:21 »

Can you go back and get the Circus, it is a great price and I am happy to say I was fortunate enough to get one.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk" 
I could.  I'm buying knight and pirate stuff now.  Sorta in a catch 22.  I have bought a set or blister pack of some sort every week since I started collecting.  Trying to put some limits on myself.  Of course key word is trying. :D

Elric, did you ask them to check the price?  In my experience, TRU doesn't do a very thorough job of marking their clearance items--I have seen the same item with two different prices right next to each other.

Betsy

I did not ask questions at either store.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:23:49 »
I could.  I'm buying knight and pirate stuff now.  Sorta in a catch 22.  I have bought a set or blister pack of some sort every week since I started collecting.  Trying to put some limits on myself.  Of course key word is trying. :D

Limits are easy, when they run out stop buying till more comes in!  :wave:

Gepetto (here to help)

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 02:44:13 »
I'm thinking the Circus Arena markdown was a mistake in their system.  I work in retail and sometimes we get emails from our corporate office stating that certain markdowns were mistakes and we change them accordingly. Our mistakes are generally not so drastic like the $84.98 vs $39.98 Circus, but more along the lines of along the lines of $10.99 vs $19.50. Think of all the money that was lost with this mistake..$45 each! 8}

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:28:23 »
TRU have price checkers in their store, usually mounted in several locations. You hold an item's barcode to the reader and it'll tell you the price that'll ring up at the till. 

Same goes for Target and Wal*Mart, though Wal*Mart are not currently stocking Playmobil.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:32:06 »
I'm thinking the Circus Arena markdown was a mistake in their system.  I work in retail and sometimes we get emails from our corporate office stating that certain markdowns were mistakes and we change them accordingly. Our mistakes are generally not so drastic like the $84.98 vs $39.98 Circus, but more along the lines of along the lines of $10.99 vs $19.50. Think of all the money that was lost with this mistake..$45 each! 8}

Hi Robbie

Well if it was a "mistake" it certainly was a well organised one with large clearance signs. This I can say is one computer glitch that I am happy to have be a part of  :confetti:. I liked it so much I would be eager to be apart of many more  ;)

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 13:07:01 »
The store I saw this at didn't have it in the normal clearance area near the front. There was a end cap built near the playmobil stuff with all the circus stuff marked clearance. One sign even said save over 50% on circus stuff. They shelves had all the prices clearly marked with the clearance prices. The store that had the for 84 bucks had them setup in the middle of the main aisle. The store is out of my way but I need to go back and see if they still have any and maybe ask some questions.

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 17:03:44 »
Finally got chance to go back to TRU this morning. All the circus stuff was in a different area. No clearance signs and the price was 84.99. Could have been a mistake a couple weeks ago.