Author Topic: Major Rescue Unit  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Major Rescue Unit
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 21:43:21 »
Hello Bill :),

Thank you very much indeed for the kind reply. I have been planning this for quite some time. Infact i planned the story line before you and your men came over. I had a few things left to finish just as you arrived. Infact the crane had to be sent back to the paint shop for respraying because of a poor paint finish. One of your jobs will be to crew the MRU with one of my men and you get to work with the new equipment as well :).
The MRU design itself has been in my head for some time but i couldn't decide on the chassis. That is when i remembered Gordon's design and the rest fell in to place. I had read about some of the new 'rescue trucks' being made with built in compressors and generators so this had to factor into the design to cut down on equipment carried. It just so happened that the 3880 has an empty space behind the cab big enough for this equipment.

Tim

Hello Gordon :),

Thank you very much indeed for your kind reply. I was stumped by the stabilizer legs for a while to be honest. It really needed them but i couldn't work out where to mount them. In the end i had to compromise and mount them under the chassis. They are a little too low for my liking and tend to stick out a bit too far. I might improve on this design in the future but they are allmost a permanent part of the chassis now :lol:.
I think having an air compressor and generator built into the vehicle is a great way to save on space. It saves carrying them as separate items of kit and because they are built in when the vehicle is being made they should take up less space. I would be really interested to see what you come up with but i would advise against using the red nozzles like the ones on mine (i needed to make an adapter because they were a bit too big for the air line ::) :lol:).
I still have that picture you sent me a while ago, i also found a few other pictures of your projects that i thought had gone missing. I cant remember which pictures you asked me if i still had. It was a while ago now.

Tim  :wave:

Hello Ben :),

Thank you very much indeed for the kind reply Ben. I am just as impressed by your work, infact more so because you actually scratch build your own parts out of plastic. This is something that i still haven't mastered myself  :wow:.

Tim

Hello Little Jo :),

Thank you very much indeed for the kind reply. I am just about running out of stickers now :lol:. I think one of my favorite parts of making any vehicle is bringing it to life by using stickers. Its suprising how much detail a few stickers can add and Playmobil's have allways been first class.

Tim

Hello Rasputin :),

Thank you very much for the kind reply. I had been working on the crane for some time but the prototype was a larger version, too big for this vehicle. In the end i had to make another one on a smaller scale. It was a tricky little thing to make but in the end i cracked it. Like i said in my post to Gordon i was a bit disappointed with the outriggers. I thought they looked a bit clumsy but it was the only way i could make them at the time. I will give them a try and see how they stand up to being used.
As for the how to article i was thinking along the lines of making a 'stretched' chassis and showing how to finish it. I think the most important aspect is actually filling and sanding, blending everything together so it looks like one part.

Tim  :wow:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 12:06:41 »

Hello, Tim ...

Your customs are always amazing. They're so well executed that they always look like they were manufactured by Playmobil. What you have achieved is to create a model that appears to have just been removed from its blue box.

A custom model that realizes that level of perfection deserves the highest respect from all of us.

Well done, Tim ...  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 14:45:58 »
The MRU design itself has been in my head for some time but i couldn't decide on the chassis. That is when i remembered Gordon's design and the rest fell in to place. I had read about some of the new 'rescue trucks' being made with built in compressors and generators so this had to factor into the design to cut down on equipment carried. It just so happened that the 3880 has an empty space behind the cab big enough for this equipment.
Tim

Hi Tim,
I forgot to mention an option that is getting to be extremely popular in this country now that you may consider in the future. The departments normally don't have water on the rescue units anymore. They rely on an engine company to do any fire protection duties. The departments here are designing their rescue apparatus with large reels like the hose reels on the 3880 fire engines equipped with long hydraulic hoses for the HURST tools, electrical cords, or air lines. They are preconnected at the inner reel hole like the water hoses. The needed generater or pump is started, & already connected to the reel making it faster to connect a rescue tool to. The personnel unwrap the length that is needed on the scene, then attach the needed equipment to the hose end connectors, & when they are finished they are electric, & have a control like your HIAB crane to wind it back up! I hope this gives you future idea's ;)!
Best Wishes,
Bill
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 15:33:33 »

Tim

Thank you very much indeed for your kind reply. I was stumped by the stabilizer legs for a while to be honest. It really needed them but i couldn't work out where to mount them. In the end i had to compromise and mount them under the chassis. They are a little too low for my liking and tend to stick out a bit too far. I might improve on this design in the future but they are allmost a permanent part of the chassis now :lol:.
I think having an air compressor and generator built into the vehicle is a great way to save on space. It saves carrying them as separate items of kit and because they are built in when the vehicle is being made they should take up less space. I would be really interested to see what you come up with but i would advise against using the red nozzles like the ones on mine (i needed to make an adapter because they were a bit too big for the air line ::) :lol:).
I still have that picture you sent me a while ago, i also found a few other pictures of your projects that i thought had gone missing. I cant remember which pictures you asked me if i still had. It was a while ago now.

Hi Tim,

It was an idea I had when I was working on my 3880 ET/RW1 (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1672.0).  Basically, I just thought of inserting a couple of silver hose connectors in the rear of the body in the same way as I did for the pump outlets for the TLF16 (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1463.msg16752;topicseen#msg16752) but with two per side so both cutters and spreaders could be used at the same side.  The hydraulic or compressed air lines would have been carried on the hose reels.  If I were to make the ET/RW1 unit now, I think I would use the forward side lockers to house the outlets for the cutters and spreaders, either storing these on the same lockers on top of the outlet panels or in the rear compartment.  If I used the forward lockers to store the cutting gear, then I'd retain the hose reels for the hydraulic/compressed air lines.  If the cutting gear was stored in the back, then I think it would be possible to fit a hose reels in the front lockers above or below the outlets.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 20:47:10 »
Hello Richard :),

Thank you very much for your kind word's. Its hard but i allways aim to make my custom's just as Playmobil would make them. I think its the least i can do if i am using their sets to create my own things. I still pick faults with the things i make and there are certain aspects of this vehicle i am not happy with ;D. I guess that is what keeps me going, trying to improve on things all the time ;D

Tim

Thank you very much for your kind reply and for the information on the new technology. I have seen a few rescue trucks with air lines or electrical cables on reel's that simply pull out when needed. I have been toying with this idea for a while but i am lacking suitable air line hose and to an extent electrical cable. The air line would need to be thinner than the playmobil fire hose and preferably black (like the air line i use now but a lot longer). I think if i found some i would probably go down the route you suggest.
A small water tank was included as a trial run because the design brief for the vehicle hinted at a 'rapid intervention' role. What the brigade meant by this is that they needed a high speed, quick response vehicle to 'primarily' attend local motorway accidents (the motorway is on station 23's door step). Due to this 'rapid intervention' roll it was decided to add a small water tank, pump and hose reel in case it had to fight vehicle fires ahead of the main appliance. When the vehicle attends an incident outside Station 23's area of operations the water tank would not be required as the local appliances will be there with water first.
I have quite a few more designs to play with though so who knows what will come next  ;).

It is funny you should mention your ET/RW1 ! I was looking at this on your website last night, thank you for the mention :-[. I am honoured that the equipment i sent you has been considered worthy enough to go on such a fine vehicle :wow:. I love every aspect of it Gordon, you really have turned the 3880 into the perfect ET. I am amazed at how much equipment you have fitted into it and how neatley it is stowed away. I think the air lines would look great on the hose reels like Bill said in his reply. While i am writing this i have allready had a flash of inspiration that might help you acheive both air and electric power off the same reel ;). I will see if i can knock together a prototype in the next few days. As i said to Bill i am looking for some suitable air line now. I cant wait to see your latest projects Gordon...

Tim :wave:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 00:30:29 »
Hello Tim  :wave:!
I just had an idea, experimented with it, & it seemed to work! I used  several different diameter automotive wiring in different gauges, but they were approximately 2 feet long. I stripped the vinyl coating off of the wiring. It made several different diameters of "hoses" without the inner copper wire in colors, red, black, & yellow. I didn't know which fittings you use for connections, but maybe you can try a few different sizes to find one that works for your application. I tried wrapping them on to hose reels, & it seemed to do well. Let me know if this idea is helpful. You may find some softer material that may work better than the vinyl. Maybe rubber hose at a hobby shop for G scale train displays.
Best Regards,
Bill
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 09:56:19 »

It is funny you should mention your ET/RW1 ! I was looking at this on your website last night, thank you for the mention :-[. I am honoured that the equipment i sent you has been considered worthy enough to go on such a fine vehicle :wow:. I love every aspect of it Gordon, you really have turned the 3880 into the perfect ET. I am amazed at how much equipment you have fitted into it and how neatley it is stowed away. I think the air lines would look great on the hose reels like Bill said in his reply. While i am writing this i have allready had a flash of inspiration that might help you acheive both air and electric power off the same reel ;). I will see if i can knock together a prototype in the next few days. As i said to Bill i am looking for some suitable air line now. I cant wait to see your latest projects Gordon...

Tim :wave:
[/b]

Thank you for your kind comments on the 3880 ET/RW1, Tim.  It proved quite a challenge working out what to include in equipment and then how to get it stowed on board and the slide-out at the rear made.  As you know, I thought of a stretched version (I've attached a pic or two), but abandoned it for two reasons - 1. I doubt my modelling skills and patience were up to it, and 2. I felt the extra length would be unwieldy on narrow roads and streets.  The custom compressor you made me is just the job to finish the equipment off.

I look forward to seeing your ideas multi-use reels.

My remaining projects are nothing too exciting.  There is another design of TLF8 on a 3880 and a heavy pump/foam unit on a 3880.  These will be the last 3880 customs as I have enough and I want to concentrate on enjoying "using" the customs more.  Apart from a bit of transfer work these are ready for photographing but getting the right conditions is what's holding things up.  The other custom is a control unit/ELW2 on a 3614 van which needs some detail work done on it and then a bit of livery work.  As we're away for three weeks from 10th January, none of this will be done before February and maybe by then the weather will be better for photography.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 05:34:51 »
Hello Tim,

I am somewhat late to the party but I can only agree with everything that has already been said about your MRU!! It is a beautiful piece of work and the workmanship is first rate. :wow:

One question I always have on these customs is how do you scale the components? You mention making a crane that was too large, how do you determine the size and scale the model to the prototype?

This storyline is very interesting and you 'fire-folk' have certainly taken the ball and run with it, thank you.

Gepetto

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:09:58 »

Thank you for the suggestion :) ! I hadn't even thought about using different coloured wire and taking its rubber/plastic casing ! This is what i mean when i say i can't wait to see you attempt a custom using glue and cutting implements. You would be able to come up with things that the rest of us don't think of. That's why its so good having everyone here, we all come up with different ideas and use different things. I have got my room tidied up now so i am back behind the work bench. Its been a bit too cold to get outside the last few days even for me :lol: As a result i have been kitting out the Rescue Tender and Major Rescue unit (with your help :lol:). As soon as i can get outside i will try to get a few pictures so i can start explaining my fire service.

Happy New Year Tim  :wave:

Thank you for the compliments on the custom compressor. I wanted to make some more but as you know all the parts for it are no longer available :(. I do have a plan up my sleeve which involves using the new style fire hydrant as a compressor, but at the moment its lacking a decent base. I cant wait to see your latest custom's. I have been 'looking' at rebuilding my old command unit but it needs a lot of work. For a start it needs a new interior and a fresh coat of paint not to mention other small details. I will probably have a look at it today to see if it can be done. While i am on i will have a go at that other prototype hose/air line reel.

Happy New Year  Tim :wave:

Hello Gepetto :),

Thank you very much indeed for the kind feedback. The matter of scale isn't really an important one as such (which is a really good thing for me ;D). I use 98% Playmobil parts for my customs, so a result most of the parts are allready in scale so to speak. The crane itself was large but not really out of scale as such, it just 'looked' too big for the vehicle it was mounted on. It was too long and would stick out the side of the vehicle and it was also too tall.
So to answer your question i usually go on 'look' and 'feel'. If it looks too big or doesn't 'feel' right then i have to make changes. I never actually measure anything apart from the lengths of certain things and then i usually just round them up to the nearest CM, unless it needs to be more presice. If i am making a vehicle from scratch such as my motor scraper i go by eye most of the time and study lots of real pictures. Looking at the real pictures helps me get an idea of size and i just make my parts using them as a reference.
I hope this helps answer your question ;D Its harder to put it into words than actually doing it  :lol:

Happy New Year  Tim

(28/5/03/850)