Author Topic: First THW custom  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: First THW custom
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 08:54:11 »
Hello Gordon  :)

That is a very effective custom. I have been trying to think what material you could use for the back end but i could only come up with two options and both would probably need some form of frame work. I noticed some thin foam sheet in Hobby craft and i think they do sheets of felt as well. Wether the blue would be as good a match as your card i am not so sure. I will try and find a small sample of the foam because i brought some the other week to make nonslip mats for my air bags.

Tim  :wave:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:04 »
Hm, cool idea. I wonder if "awning" (is this the correct term?) of the 3233 police car could be customized for this purpose (using two, separating the ends to enlarge in length) ...  ???

... and then sprayed in THW-blue.

Hello Jochen, the technical term is a tilt, although awning is more commonly used and seems always to be used in relation to ships or boats.  Lots of people may not understand "tilt" used in this way - I certainly didn't when I first came across it!  "Cover" is a possible word, too.

I wondered about the cover from the earlier Playmobil trucks, too, but never having seen one in real life or for sale, I didn't take it further.

I've had some spray paint made up to RAL 5002 at the local branch of Halfords, a motor accessory and cycle chain of shops.  My next custom just needs a bit more painting and it will be ready to show.  Over here, RAL 5002 is described as ultramarine blue rather than "king's" blue.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:17:32 »
Hello Gordon  :)

That is a very effective custom. I have been trying to think what material you could use for the back end but i could only come up with two options and both would probably need some form of frame work. I noticed some thin foam sheet in Hobby craft and i think they do sheets of felt as well. Wether the blue would be as good a match as your card i am not so sure. I will try and find a small sample of the foam because i brought some the other week to make nonslip mats for my air bags.

Tim  :wave:

Thanks, Tim.  I think I've got some of te dark blue felt upstairs so I'll check the shade.  The foam board (I think I know what you mean) is another possibility to follow up.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 20:22:21 »
... I wondered about the cover from the earlier Playmobil trucks, too, but never having seen one in real life or for sale, I didn't take it further. ...

I do have two of those. Unfortunately, both have been damaged by the kids :'(.
But I can probably answer any question you have on them.

As a side note - I doubt they are of any use. It's open ended on both sides and is held in place, on top of the backside, by pegs that click onto small thingies on the side. Resembling the holders for the rope and torch in the new Fireman. Beside that - I'm afraid it isn't big enough for the truck nor the trailer.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 21:37:49 »
Thanks for the information, Bogro.  I'd suspected that might be the case, too small and the wrong type of fastening.

Maybe I can get Diane to sew me some cloth ones!