Author Topic: Rescue set 3781.  (Read 3071 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Rescue set 3781.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 10:26:31 »
Thanks, playmofire, it is interesting to know how PM sets reflect the world in which they were created. The firefighters' uniforms in 3525 also changed from all blue figures in version 1 to yellow and black ones (like the ones in this set 3781) in version 2. Did this reflect the contemporary uniforms too?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 12:20:05 »
Thanks, playmofire, it is interesting to know how PM sets reflect the world in which they were created. The firefighters' uniforms in 3525 also changed from all blue figures in version 1 to yellow and black ones (like the ones in this set 3781) in version 2. Did this reflect the contemporary uniforms too?

Maybe not exactly because German firefighters usually wore orange high-vis jackets, but having said that, a "strong" yellow is probably easier to produce than a "strong" orange and probably cheaper too as orange requires mixing red and yellow, plus Playmobil tend to keep to "standard basic" colours.  (That's not the correct term, but I think you'll understand, colours without mixing.)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 17:49:13 »
Plus they probably had 100,000 spare yellow torsos at the time!

The later firefighters do have those hi-vis orange tunics of course.

More recently, PM have tended to offer both 'emergency service' sets which mirror the liveries found in Germany (vehicles and uniforms) and other sets which might reflect liveries in other places. Maybe this is in recognition of the international appeal of PM?

Wouldn't it be great if they issued sets in even more specific liveries? We have already had the Italian Carabinieri, NYFD guy, Playpeople British Bobby (way back), American Cop 3338 and no doubt others. The NHL figures have put the lie to the claim that Geobra don't make figures with 'limited' local appeal.....
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 18:19:03 »
The orange jacketed firefighters are my favourites.

As regards the newer uniforms, this is not so much a recognition of Playmobil's international appeal as the fact that there have been international moves towards standardised liveries and uniforms,particularly in the EU, hence the disappearance of the green and white polizei livery.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 03:15:33 »
Wouldn't it be great if they issued sets in even more specific liveries? We have already had the Italian Carabinieri, NYFD guy, Playpeople British Bobby (way back), American Cop 3338 and no doubt others. The NHL figures have put the lie to the claim that Geobra don't make figures with 'limited' local appeal.....

Just what I keep saying. They need to go specific, local, cultural, and historical. Nobody is doing this at the moment. It's all fantasy/licensed/delocalised.

As regards the newer uniforms, this is not so much a recognition of Playmobil's international appeal as the fact that there have been international moves towards standardised liveries and uniforms,particularly in the EU, hence the disappearance of the green and white polizei livery.

I was sad to see German cops change to blue from green. It's nice to have local distinctions. I suppose it's the current way though, as you say.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 06:41:14 »
I think the idea is that if emergency vehicles and crew have the same or a similar uniform throughout the EU/Europe, it makes it easier for visitors from other European countries.

For the same reason, 112 is the standard emergency telephone number across the EU.

Which raises the question, why are Playmobil ambulances still mainly white when they should be mainly yellow?

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 06:56:03 »
Which raises the question, why are Playmobil ambulances still mainly white when they should be mainly yellow?

As we all know PM don't have good diversity!  ;D
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 18:30:06 »

For the same reason, 112 is the standard emergency telephone number across the EU.

Except in the UK, where it is still 999 (and we drive on the left and we use £ not Euros!) even though UK is part of EU, at least at the moment..... (I know you know all this playmofire :D)

Reminds me of something I once heard: it is possible to get through to the emergency services in the UK by dialling 911 because there are so many U.S. Visitors.... maybe that was just one of those urban myths?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 20:25:02 »
Except in the UK, where it is still 999 (and we drive on the left and we use £ not Euros!) even though UK is part of EU, at least at the moment..... (I know you know all this playmofire :D)

Ah, 112 is still the standard EU number even though 999 is still used mots of the time.  It's the same in some EU countries who still keep their own emergency numbers.  I suppose that the main thing is that people should know that whether in the UK or France or elsewhere in the EU 112 will get them help, irrespective of the number(s) they may use at home.  (Number(s) because in some countries there are three emergency numbers, police, fire and ambulance.)