Author Topic: The newer castle 4865 - question about its quality  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Theresse

• Playmo Enthusiast
The newer castle 4865 - question about its quality
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:31:40 »
Hello -

I'm wondering if there have been notable improvements over the previous castles of late e.g. the Rock Castle.  I have a few of the 3666's and want to get my kids a new one such as this but not if it's going to fall apart like the Rock Castle did/does.  What a waste of money that was!  I've read it's more of a hybrid but that doesn't really give me an overall answer. 

My biggest disappointment about the 3666 - my only disappointment, really - is that it doesn't have doors - just the drawbridge.  Is there any chance this new castle can be combined with the 3666 in just the front doors part?  I also like that this new one has - hmmm forget what it's called but it's the area above the entry wear they can pour hot oil over invaders. ;)  I'm sure there are other great features as well.  I love that you can pull on the string to raise the stairs on either it and/or the other smaller castle - such a great feature!  But anyway, not gonna do it if it's pretty and interesting to look at but otherwise junk!

Thanks so much!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: The newer castle 4865 - question about its quality
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 14:27:49 »
You can have a look at the following review

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=5897.0

Although this is the 4866 castle it shares a lot of similarities with the 4865. Unfortunately, Its a totaly different construction system than the 3666 and the pieces dont fit together.

On a personal note, and one that  think many of our members share, the 3666 is the best castle playmobil has ever produce  :love: :love:

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 14:33:35 »
You can have a look at the following review

On a personal note, and one that  think many of our members share, the 3666 is the best castle playmobil has ever produce  :love: :love:

I concur!  :love: There are doors that fit the 3666 castle, 7122, if you can find them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 14:40:43 by Playmoholics »
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Theresse

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 21:15:12 »
Thank you both!  Yes that's why we've been collecting the 3666 castles - cause they seem to be the best built and most realistic and allow for most creativity, etc. 

Playmoholics, I tried the 7122 doors a few years ago but they wouldn't work with the existing drawbridge. :(  I want both, like the newer castles have.  I have enough extra drawbridge castle fronts that I would be able to risk damaging them to customize them but I don't know how to do it (I wish there was some brilliant playmogenius I could pay!).

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 21:24:00 »
Wow, Theresse, what a beautiful creation! :)
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 21:25:45 »
Gorgeous castle!

And I love the ox wagon :love:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 22:39:25 »
Great looking castle. It shouldn't be too hard to find the gate, they turn up pretty regularly on eBay in various sets.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 23:03:43 »
I personally wouldn't say that the Rock Castle is flimsy or poorly designed in any way.

I can carry mine built up by just by holding one of the towers - it is a very strong structure to me.

Damo :)

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 20:27:22 »
Well,

yes, I have the Rock Castle along with the extensions. It looks stable enough but I doubt if I can hold it form one tower  ;D

I'm about to order both 4865 and 4866 soon... Can't wait to complete the new knights collection

Offline Theresse

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 21:08:32 »
This is an old response that I started but never sent till now so I'll respond to any other posts after this one:
Thank you PlaymoMan, Tahra and Tiermann!  Tahra, I agree - I've always loved the ox cart!  Tiermann, the problem is that - as far as I recall - those doors won't fit onto the castle if you want to keep the drawbridge also, which I do.  Bummer.  Any ways around that that you know of??  Flatcat, that's good to know - I must have gotten a bad egg.  You practically look at it the wrong way and it falls apart.  I love everything about the rock castle besides that though.  I wonder if these latest castles hold together even better, or if they're about the same, do you know?