Author Topic: KNARESBOROUGH PLAYMOBIL EXHIBITION 2012  (Read 30547 times)

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: KNARESBOROUGH PLAYMOBIL EXHIBITION 2012
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2012, 15:01:29 »
I have a draft poster for the exhibition.  It is based on last year's design (brand continuity) but with a new klicky figure.  I cannot get it small enough (in KBs) to post here so I am sending to participants directly.

I managed to buy the klicky on the poster (3293) last week in W H Smiths so he will be part of the show.

It looks like the displays to be included are finalised.  We just need to work out what they will all include.

Mark

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 15:15:36 »
The poster is excellent, Mark - very striking and very clear.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2012, 16:40:00 »
The poster is very striking, as Gordon said :wow:

I pressume we are using boards from last year, so one from my western (the sandy yellow colour) will do perfectly fine. I may need to add some different colours to it, but we shall see.

Damo :)

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2012, 20:23:23 »
Last year we used 14 8x4 boards (5 for City Life, 3 for Western, 2 each for Knights and Pirates and 1 each for Circus and Vikings).  The Scouts used 2 grey City Life boards to make a viking long ship for the Great Knaresborough Bed Race.  I have pictures.

This year we need 18 boards (8 for the coastal railway, 4 for Hogwarts, 2 for the pirates,  1 each for Space, Film set, Construction and underwater.)  So I'll need another six boards this year.

Damo - I have no problem letting you have a yellow painted base board for your construction site.  Are there any particular colours you'll need?

Mark

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2012, 21:05:16 »
When will the boards be set up, Mark?  I ask because painting the lower level middle section will need to be lined up with the bridge so that the river/stream goes under it.  (As it's a two span bridge, a road might go under the other span.)

I'll be over on the Friday, aiming to arrive about 10:30.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2012, 23:31:57 »
Gordon

I plan to set things up as best I can on the Wed and Thur.  I can paint some general zones of the railway display - field, beach and sea on the lower level - grey townscape above.

The thinner rail area connecting at the back can be 1ft or les in thickness.  I want to build some steep slopes down from these.  Probably cardboard and papier mache painted.

If you can consider the position of the bridge from any test set ups you are doing I can use this to paint in the river and a road to the shore.  With a two span bridge we can have a river under one span and a road under the other next to it.

The lower area can include a farm (Damo contribution) and boats on the sea (about 1ft wide a the front of the display and whatever holiday activity we can include on the beach and behind.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2012, 21:45:21 »
Mark,

Here are some scans of the proposed track layout.  Each square represents 1 sq ft. and the baseboard is edged out in black.  The squares along the back on the two scans add up to 16'.  The sidings are just ideas and will be decided at the setting up stage.

First, the left hand (6' x 8') end:

The bridge is 5 ft long.

Now a version of the right hand (8' x 8') end:

The area to the left of the track on the end baseboard could be used for town with maybe some houses on the "plain" below.

Lastly, an alternative version of the right hand end:

Despite the bigger size, the scale is the same and the back run is just cut off short.  This layout allows room for the town on the right hand side inside the track.

As regards the width of the run at the rear, I'll know exactly when I've got my latest DS order as I can then measure exactly the width available on the bridge supports.  This should be in about 14 days' time, but if that's too late, I can make a good guess earlier.

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2012, 23:38:09 »
Gordon

Thanks for this.  It looks good and is really useful for having some things sorted on the base boards for when you get to Knaresborough.

The only comments I have are -
1. do we want the river this wide?  Its nearly 2ft.  The answer depends on a balance between what items we have on the river and what we want to put on the surrounding fields. 
2. I would also say that I am looking to use the front 1ft of the lower area as sea (for pleasure and leisure) with a beach behind this, before the fields.  The beach may be only around 6-9inches wide.  I will be looking to have holiday maker klickies pooled from our collections.
3. I think we covered the total width being 30ft long.  This was based on having done a plan and finding we were in danger of obstructing the way to the fire exit in the corner.  I'll check this again.

Mark

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:37 »
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what happened but I replied to your post yesterday, and my reply seems to have disappeared.  I'll try again.

The bridge length of 5' is to scale, but the spans (there are two of them) and the intermediate pier are not.  Each span is roughly 17.5'' between piers.  I must admit that I'd been thinking of a lateral division with the beach, the river and then the farmland and town.  That would give roughly 4' to the beach side of things and (allowing 2' 6'' for the first half of the bridge and piers) approx 9'6'' for the road, farm and town, the river being a natural border between the beach and the grassland on the other side.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2012, 19:25:25 »
Gordon,

Regarding the railway-bridge, have you considered making the central support larger and using arc-sections from the 3449 Medieval Museum or 4300 Train Station, to connect it to the outer supports?
Just my  :2c:, but I think a bridge with those arcs would look good.

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-02-8640

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!