Author Topic: KNARESBOROUGH PLAYMOBIL EXHIBITION 2012  (Read 30564 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: KNARESBOROUGH PLAYMOBIL EXHIBITION 2012
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:30 »
Mark, just to clarify the plan.  All the grey area is raised, yes?  Couldn't the 16ft area come out in line with the grey area to give greater depth for that part of the display?  Or is it shallower to allow access to the railway in case of derailments etc?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2011, 11:54:58 »
Mark, just to clarify the plan.  All the grey area is raised, yes?  Couldn't the 16ft area come out in line with the grey area to give greater depth for that part of the display?  Or is it shallower to allow access to the railway in case of derailments etc?

Gordon

These are both options I have been considering.  I plan to use tables of different heights to set the levels required.  (I need to do some measuring to ensure I can get the right height difference between the upper and lower levels - you asked for 7 inches.)

We could create a massive display of 32 ft x 8 ft (8 boards).  This is do-able.  There is a trade off between having more space for displaying sets at the front of the lower level and being able to reach the back if necessary.  If you are happy that the trains can run okay along this straight section at the back then we can go ahead with a deep front section.

Mark

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2011, 13:59:39 »
Doing a bit of precise measuring, it runs out at a height difference of about 5 and 3/8th inches, the height of a corner piece of Steck, and this may be too fiddly, although a bit of packing might solve any minor differences in height.  It would allow Steck piers for supporting the bridge.  It would be a single span bridge if there were two lines along the back as I only have two bridge lengths.  If it were a single track along [part] of the back, then it could be a double span bridge.

I'm fairly confident that the trains will run OK without derailing or other problems.  If we went the whole hog as regards length and width, would it be possible to have display, say, two and a half feet clear of the wall to allow access to the rear?

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2011, 16:26:37 »
You could also use a pop-up. A hole in the center of the back section big enough to stand up in after crawling under the rest. (If your knees work - hmmm Damo will be there right? :D ). My concern with not having access is that invariably someone will bump the table at an inopportune moment and there will be all sorts of trouble.

Offline playmofirth

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2011, 19:20:41 »
Access to the back of the display

This is one of those cases where if one cannot reach the back then something will happen that means one has to get to the back.  I am wary of giving up 2.5 ft at the back of the display.  (That is 80 ft sq). The space I had initially allocated - 16 x 4 ft is the equivalent of the pirate or knights display last - is a pretty big area.

I'll think some more about this and get back to you.

I am not sure about Tiermann's suggestion of a pop-up hole as this is dependendent on the arrangement of the tables underneath and breaking into a 8x4 board.

Mark

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2011, 19:25:26 »
If someone were to slip while crawling under, he could seriously shake the tables by running into table legs, or worse bump the bottom of the table, causing major destruction. Seems risky to me. But there needs to be some way to reach it or inevitably something will fall over.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2011, 19:31:16 »
Well, I think we take the risk, Mark.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 19:36:30 »
If you were to do it seriously then you would have a wheeled scaffold tower (one side either side of the display) and then cross brace it above the display, and run boards across, so it can then be moved along the length of the display, and then pieces can be placed down from above.

Obviously we can't do that, so we will just have to risk it ;D

Damo :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2011, 19:50:49 »
If you were to do it seriously then you would have a wheeled scaffold tower (one side either side of the display) and then cross brace it above the display, and run boards across, so it can then be moved along the length of the display, and then pieces can be placed down from above.

Obviously we can't do that, so we will just have to risk it ;D

We could get near to it by tying a rope eound your waist, attaching it to a long pole and then dangling you over the display.   :)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 19:53:31 »
We could get near to it by tying a rope eound your waist, attaching it to a long pole and then dangling you over the display.   :)

I can imagine it now :lol: :lol: :lol: