Author Topic: Manchu Banners  (Read 3641 times)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
Re: Manchu Banners
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:07 »
thanks WoT and Gis!

...with the red of their pants just showing through.
purposely angled (like a teasing chinese lady's cheongsam slit)  :lol:

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 00:07:10 »
 :love: Once again an excellent set of custom figures, I always look forward to seeing what you've done.  :love:
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!

Offline henry_martini

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:04:16 »
The clouds are claerly recognizable but I would have made (if I could achieve this at all) them in either blue (like in the examples) or rather black to fit with the design of the pm dragon flag. And maybe one completely in the the free space.

But I do like this setting (as always) and the manchus.  :)
@geobra: Thanks a lot! :-)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 00:54:20 »
thanks playmofriends!

The clouds are claerly recognizable but I would have made (if I could achieve this at all) them in either blue (like in the examples) or rather black to fit with the design of the pm dragon flag. And maybe one completely in the the free space....

good suggestions Micheal! I did take a while on deciding which colour and also where to position them...4 clouds x 4 sides of flags, too much work...luckily they looked like clouds to you all :P

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:40:19 »
The clouds........but I would have made them in either blue....
....And maybe one completely in the the free space.

just found this picture...and henry_martini's words rang aloud in my head  :P

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:51:57 »
Cheng,
Lovely banners and Manchu costumes! Great use of the zoo roof, too. Your clouds are special, too! Wish PM had some stock pieces more like this.
Cheers, Pgal :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 02:36:59 »
thanks Pgal!
you must have seen such Qing uniforms & banners in those museums you visited, to be able to appreciate the historical accurracy I try putting in, albeit ala-PM  ;D

Offline playmogal

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 03:12:46 »
Cheng,
Our favorite museums were those in Shanghai and Hong Kong. Shanghai has that wonderful floor of ethnic costumes (I took so many photos of the clothing!) and all kinds of artifacts. Hong Kong's Museum of Art has so many fine pieces of pottery and carvings returned to China by foreigners. The temples and gardens in Suzhou are also phenomenal sources of Chinese structures and shapes. The gardens and parks in Beijing provide even more background for designing PM products.

There is so much beauty and diversity in Asian art that PM could do hundreds of Asian sets and not run out of designs. Our new daughter in law is from Manchuria in northeast China, and we would love to have PM representing that area of the world. Maybe they will take some of your ideas and sell us some sets based on them!

There are so many Asians now living outside of Asia that they could become the major market for these PM sets. There should be a story for each set explaining what aspect of Asia it represents; then we could take it from there and develop our own lines.

Just some random thoughts about PM and Asia, Pgal :wave:
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 04:02:22 »
if there are more people like you, then an Asian theme launch is for certain next year  ;D

I'm afraid most Asian kids are not interested in PM...beside the computer games, most of them are busy with homework and rote learning....no place for creativity and story-telling...agreed? ;)

a new Manchurian D-I-L? congrats on your acquisition! ...wonder where I can buy one  :P

Offline playmogal

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 04:22:45 »
Cheng,
I agree, and hope they will launch several Asian themes SOON! It is amazing how little we know about folks and life in other countries. That is why we enjoy traveling and observing what people do wherever we are. It would be wonderful if EVERYONE could buy Clickies that look like they do!

Kids in the US spend most of their time on the computer or with video games. Generally they don't study half as many hours as most Asian kids who live in large cities. In the US there are almost enough openings in colleges/universities for anyone who wants to go, so it is just a matter of matching the kid to the school, paying lots of money, and off they go. Asian students have to compete for so few places in college (compared to those in the US) that they can't waste as much time playing games....until they get to college.

My son met his wife at Ocean University in Qingdao, one of the loveliest cities in China. This is a great campus for a summer program. College is the best place to meet a partner according to many people in the know.

She and her family are from Changchun, the Manchurian capital during the Japanese occupation. We enjoyed our visit to her hometown and meeting all of her huge family. Folks from that area tend to be very direct and straight forward making it easier to communicate with them.

And the DNA pooled from the Silk Road traders makes the genetic mix quite interesting. Many of the Manchurians (especially the younger ones) are taller and have lighter hair color and hazel eyes.

So when you talk about Manchurian warriors, it definitely catches my interest. Most of the literature I have read about Chinese dynasties focuses on warfare, so creating Clickies to go to battle seems quite appropriate.  And the fellows you create are so cool looking!

Good luck in the D-I-L department. Our family definitely won that lottery! We all adore her! She loves building with L, and will adore PM once she has the chance.
Pgal :wave: