Author Topic: Are there more new US sets in this list?  (Read 15319 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: Are there more new US sets in this list?
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 19:50:50 »
 :lol:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 19:53:28 »
Indianna, don't copyrights need to be registered? Are you saying if I post a picture of a diorama here, & someone else copies it, I can sue saying they stole my ideas just because I did it first?
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 19:57:32 »
Yes, copyrights must be registered. I suppose the better word for the issue would be plagiarism. And again, no one has copied anyone's written text and claimed it as their own, so it's a non-issue, IMO.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 19:59:34 »
As zugpferdchen has correctly pointed out, the person who takes a photo would hold the copyright to that photo, even if it is just a photo of a Playmobil box on a store shelf or a photo of a Playmobil catalog.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but that is the way it works, and that's the way it should work, IMHO.  The fact that the person is taking a photo of a Playmobil item (box or catalog) is an example of "fair use" just the way that it is OK to take photos of other people's displays at a convention and then post those photos online (as long as the photographer is not also claiming to have created the photo subject.) 

It would seem to be simple good manners to ask before copying photos from one website to another (as most people seem to do already.)  In my opinion, though, it should not be necessary to ask if it is all right to post a link to something in another website - that is the nature of the internet and if someone posts something to a website he or she should be glad that someone else thinks it is worthy of notice.  The case that started this whole conversation was that Hadoque simply repeated a list of set names and numbers, something which does not violate copyright in any way. 
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 20:00:39 »
Indianna, don't copyrights need to be registered?

Nope

Are you saying if I post a picture of a diorama here, & someone else copies it, I can sue saying they stole my ideas just because I did it first?

Yep
Actually, I think they would have to claim it as their original work and maybe make money off of it.  And you'd have to prove that they copied it from you.  Hey, I'm not  lawyer - is there a lawyer in the house??

Offline zugpferdchen

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2011, 20:02:42 »
Indianna, don't copyrights need to be registered? Are you saying if I post a picture of a diorama here, & someone else copies it, I can sue saying they stole my ideas just because I did it first?
No, not because you did it first. They stole not your ideas, they stole your picture. You have the copyright of your pictures (you made).

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2011, 20:03:46 »
Yes, copyrights must be registered. I suppose the better word for the issue would be plagiarism. And again, no one has copied anyone's written text and claimed it as their own, so it's a non-issue, IMO.

Thank you, bb! That's what I thought. If something is quoted or used & doesn't have a copy right, then it's fair game in other words. I've written things & others have used them with my permission. They didn't have a copy right, so if someone wanted to take credit for them, it would be too bad so sad, Bill. That's the chance we all take sharing things.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2011, 20:08:54 »
No, not because you did it first. They stole not your ideas, they stole your picture. You have the copyright of your pictures (you made).

You're right about the photo, but the creator of the original diorama also has a copyright on its design. 

But the bottom line is that nobody is going to sue anybody unless there is a lot of money involved.  A copyright does not have to be registered.  Check out the Wikipedia explanation of copyright.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2011, 20:10:11 »
But no one has copied and pasted information from kw, only repeated what they heard there, saying that it came from Klickywelt!

Well, I did use the copy & paste function, as I didn't want to spend a whole hour on rewriting number by number all those set-serials and word by word the description for each listed set.
Anyone who would make a fuss about such difference is an IDIOT BORN ON THE DARK SIDE OF PLUTO!

But that's not the point I think; whether I rewrote the text - I didn't translate it, it was already in English(*) - or used copy and paste.
The point has been made by all the members here responding above!

(*): the fact that it was already in English, makes me believe the original source - from where the Klickywelt-guy got his intel - was NOT German.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2011, 20:15:14 »
Copyright laws vary from country to country so it's not possible to state categorically how copyright applies to this situation or similar situations, especially as the text may be written in one country and read/copied/pasted in another.

My personal view would be that I would have no objection to someone copying something in a post of mine such as a list which can be obtained or created by anyone simply by searching for it somewhere.  I would take a different view, however, if someone used a photo I had taken or a story I had written without acknowledging the source of it and, better still, asking me first.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”