Author Topic: Custom-printing on klicky-torsos  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Custom-printing on klicky-torsos
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:12:20 »
I've heard (from European collectors) and seen (on "Klickywelt") that some customizers have succeeded of making very accurate custom-torsos - usually for 18th/19th century soldiers, like for Napoleonic Warfare - and this not by applying selfmade-stickers, but by making their own prints on the klickies.

Also I heard/saw that some of them show these off on public displays, which has caused raised eyebrows at Geobra.

I've also read on the  German "Klickywelt"-forum, that it is now forbidden to post pictures there of such customs. But occasionally some show up in dioramas, "hidden" amongst other pictures...

What further info is there about this printing and what is your opinion on this subject?

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
Re: Custom-printing on klicky-torsos
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:38 »
I don't have a problem with it. I really don't see why Geobra would have issues with it because they still have to buy the torso's from them.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:38:16 »
I have seen many on ebay, and bought a team of hussars last year (see attachment). The may look like the ordinary blue coats but they are also printed in the back.

I really like this kind of work but its usually quite expensive. I think, if Geobra is concerned, they should begin a line for collectors only and print such klickies!

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 13:33:00 »
Hey Panos!
You found your jugular straps again!
I have loads to say on this subject but it will wait a few hours. Typing a long message on the iPhone is a real pain in the neck.
Arnaud
Life in the so called space age...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 13:49:25 »
Hey Panos!
You found your jugular straps again!

Sorry I did not Arnaud, these are the customs I bought last year from ebay, and I don't want to take their straps away... So my original hussars are still.... strapless  :lol:  :(

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 14:13:47 »
I saw some in Wolfsburg! But have yet to find ones that are interesting enough for me to buy. I just bought decal paper so I am anxious to start working with that :-)

I think, like Elric said that as long as the parts are original then it shouldn't really concern Geobra. I don't know the law enough to know what they can "do" about it though.

Offline henry_martini

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 14:44:04 »
The may look like the ordinary blue coats but they are also printed in the back.

@ Wolf Knight: Would you mind posting a view from the rear?  :)

To the initial question: I gathered from prior affairs and discussions about this matter that once in the distant past geobra has won a court trial against some competitor in which they claimed that their designs are under copyright (=Urheberrecht) protection. This means that (although Urheberrecht is rather meant to protect intellectual property like music/art rather than mass produced items) that the holder of this right can prevent his creative output/art from being 'mutilated' or canibalized by others without his consent. To protect this they have to consider to act if they get aware of any (even if small) infringements. Otherwise they might loose this right when there have been to many precendent cases.
They told already some time ago that they consider any change of their toys against their Urheberrecht and that they are merely tolerating it, e.g. when done by adult collectors (i.e. probably as long as it is not nasty things and it is not done in open public and/or with commercial interest in large numbers). The more 'unauthorized' printing on torsos could be considered an infringement of their rights if it comes to trial. The thread with an Urheberrecht trial is hence too a convenient instrument to control what is done with their products in public if they just do not like something at all because it would be just too much trouble/risk for the normally involved single private persons to go through such a trial against the company.

In other words: No need to be scared but if they feel like it their lawyers will claim that someone has infringed their Urheberrecht. So better be careful at last.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 15:20:26 by henry_martini »
@geobra: Thanks a lot! :-)

Offline gaspodfreud

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 15:01:50 »
i will write tonight , many things to say as well Henry Martiny is right .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us                    

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 15:04:54 »
Presumably this also applies to the selling of parts of klickies and hence this topic:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=7800.0
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline henry_martini

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 15:21:16 »

Thank you.  :)
@geobra: Thanks a lot! :-)