Author Topic: 17 least appropiate PM sets for kids?  (Read 13623 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
Re: 17 least appropiate PM sets for kids?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 16:40:21 »
Yes, george is correct! I have some old yellow crates with Lowenbrau on them! But no worse than the ultimate large keg with wooden frothy mugs! :**:

Exactly. Thank you.

I think children need to be taught what's right and what's wrong. Protecting them from the adult world and censoring left and right is not, as far as I can see, the way to go about it.

I wouldn't object to the executioner, either. It was part of medieval life, and certainly no worse than morning-star-wielding 'barbarians'. Though again, I am aware that it's hard to draw a line. Because at the end of the day there's little difference between an exectutioner and a moder day electric chair set.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 16:47:54 »
Exactly. Thank you.

I think children need to be taught what's right and what's wrong. Protecting them from the adult world and censoring left and right is not, as far as I can see, the way to go about it.

I wouldn't object to the executioner, either. It was part of medieval life, and certainly no worse than morning-star-wielding 'barbarians'. Though again, I am aware that it's hard to draw a line. Because at the end of the day there's little difference between an exectutioner and a moder day electric chair set.

oh yes and a gas chamber too, come on playmobil, kids need to learn about it through play  ;)
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 17:25:47 »
Though I'm the first to say that education is much more effective then pretending something does not exist, drinking at work is pretty hard to justify, nowadays or even back then.
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 17:35:26 »
Though again, I am aware that it's hard to draw a line. Because at the end of the day there's little difference between an exectutioner and a moder day electric chair set.

what's the difference?  ???
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 17:42:55 »
what's the difference?  ???
In mediaeval times if they thought you'd done it, they'd cut your head off anyway. In modern times, even if they know you've done it, you get appeal, after appeal after appeal.  Any child with a toy electric chair would have passed it on to their grandchildren before it actually got used  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the difference is that executions were part of everyday life 5, 6, 700 years ago. Even 150 years ago they were a popular public spectacle, but in modern times, most countries no longer have capital punishment (ie the death penalty).

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 17:47:09 »
Not trying to defend anyone, but just don't forget the executioner is a historical figure. It's not something you see on the 6 o'clock news. So this is a prime example where education does wonders.

I'm not PC, and always prefer to have things the way they are and not sugar coated, but showing some guys having their fill of bear at a job is hard to defend. If my 4yo asks "Dad, are they drinking while they're working? But didn't you say that drinking is bad for your health?", how will I justify that?
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 18:04:34 »
Just tell him that with each generation we learn by the mistakes of earlier generations.  Things which we know to be bad for us today weren't always considered quite so unhealthy, and the health and safety restrictions that most of us abide by didn't always exist.

Then show him this

http://www.popartuk.com/photography/people-bw/men-on-a-girder-eating-lunch-mcpp60015-slim-print.asp

Incidentally, I always thought the bottles were wine bottles (although red wine doesn't actually come in red bottles, I know!)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 18:43:36 »
And you have to remember the cultural differences, Luciano. In germany, beer is just part of everyday life, not what you drink when you're out with friends trying to get a buzz and have some fun. Some of the beers they drink are a much lower alcohol content than what you find in the US for example, and people drink it for the purpose of quenching thirst and cooling off. So when you look at it from that point of view, it makes perfect sense for men who are working hard to be drinking beer, simply because they are thirsty, not because they are partying.

Some friends of mine traveled to Germany for a religious convention, which was held in a large outdoor stadium. It was summertime, and they were having a terrible heatwave. Being from the US, my friends were surprised to hear the ministers encouraging everyone to drink plenty of beer during the convention so that they would not get overheated. But this was low-alcohol beer, being served to keep people cool and hydrated. There it was just not looked at the same as how it is viewed here.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 18:53:14 »
 ;D Thanks for the great posts, I thought they were very funny!

I too thought the green and red bottles were for wine, but I never thought about workmen drinking it  :-\ I have a regular customer at work who is a Gas fitter who often comes into work in the middle of the day smelling of booze to buy beer while in his work clothes ( I just hope it's for after work.)

I think the executioner is brillant and I'd also love some torture devices!! When ever I see that knife throwing set I think of the film The Vikings with Kirk Douglas throwing axes at a womens hair to see if she was unfaithful!

In mediaeval times if they thought you'd done it, they'd cut your head off anyway. In modern times, even if they know you've done it, you get appeal, after appeal after appeal.  Any child with a toy electric chair would have passed it on to their grandchildren before it actually got used  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....

Would the electric chair light up?  :P and could you get sponges and an extra large lever the throw!
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 19:13:06 »
And you have to remember the cultural differences, Luciano. In germany, beer is just part of everyday life, not what you drink when you're out with friends trying to get a buzz and have some fun. Some of the beers they drink are a much lower alcohol content than what you find in the US for example, and people drink it for the purpose of quenching thirst and cooling off. So when you look at it from that point of view, it makes perfect sense for men who are working hard to be drinking beer, simply because they are thirsty, not because they are partying.

Some friends of mine traveled to Germany for a religious convention, which was held in a large outdoor stadium. It was summertime, and they were having a terrible heatwave. Being from the US, my friends were surprised to hear the ministers encouraging everyone to drink plenty of beer during the convention so that they would not get overheated. But this was low-alcohol beer, being served to keep people cool and hydrated. There it was just not looked at the same as how it is viewed here.

Sorry Bonnie, but "cultural differences" doesn't cut it. Even if they do that over there, it's wrong. Alcohol is not what you need to stay hydrated - in fact, it worsens the problem. And even if they're not partying, they're getting a buzz. Therefor, it's not safe, be it in Germany, in the US or in Bali. I doubt a German physician will condone beer consumption at work.
Cheers!
Luciano