Author Topic: Geobra's "taste"  (Read 8881 times)

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
Geobra's "taste"
« on: March 21, 2011, 15:51:22 »
Over on his topic about the take-a-long pick-up, Ras said something about the driver's ugly T-shirt that started me thinking. Why does Geobra usually go for the tacky look? Look at that driver's T-shirt - it screams "I'm a hick that can drive over anything with my big bad truck!". The same goes with the chopper that I bought, with a klicky that looks like a perfect Sunday-Peter-Fonda-wannabe. Or the big blue cruiser, with "Saint Louis" written on the bike and on the biker's back. And both riders come with the Prince Valiant hairdo. I understand that Geobra tries to imitate real life, but do they have to usually imitate the weirdos ::)?

Sometimes I think they take the caricaturization overboard. Yeah, these are toys aimed at children, but why go overboard and tacky? A 5yo does not know who peter Fonda is, so why use that particular look :hmm:?
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: Geobra's "taste"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 16:28:23 »
I really think they hired a new print team and purchased a expensive printing machine over at Geobra and now they are running wild with it. As far as the content or images for the actual klickies it really bugs me as well. If you go to a store, a real one, you will see all kinds of these tacky print shirts for kids and even adults that have always bugged me. As if I want to be some lame corporate walking billboard, and be paying to do it.

If these klickies had normal looking shirts they would be so much more useful in other themes. Playmobil used to be about having the ability to take any klicky and with a simple change they could be anybody. Now with these prints they are stuck in tacky-vill

I suggest a simple all red shirt with prints of pockets or buttons
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 16:36:07 »
Eww, I just had a closer look at your pictures at "Small haul from Germany" and those prints on the blue bike have got to go. The klicky in that set look good with his pants and cowboy-ish shirt so he will do. I guess the only complaint I have of him is the light blue shows through where his jacket sleves meet his shoulders & arm pits.

Now that other chopper biker with his skull w/helmet shirt surely qualifies as tacky with a capital "L" on his forehead
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 17:23:15 »
That's what I was saying. Does Geobra think that our kids will believe or embrace this stereotypical image they want to sell ::)?
And thank you for reminding me that the "Saint Louis" is not etched on the bike :)9.
In other words, consider it gone ;).
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 18:46:58 »
Kid's don't see tacky! They just like something or they don't like it!! Opinions on tacky are probably reserved for we grown ups  :lol: :lol:  And I agree entirely with everything that has been said.  Now has to be the time for the "Least Attractive Klicky" photo competition though  :lol:

A 5yo does not know who peter Fonda is, so why use that particular look :hmm:?
There are probably a lot of 25 year olds googling Peter Fonda as I type, wondering what he has to do with tacky biker chappies with tacky bikes  ::)

To think, that dreadful film spawned a wannabe lifestyle in the 70s. 

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 21:20:16 »
Well ... call me tacky then - 'cause I like them!

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 21:47:04 »
I wish they would do better when it comes to designing the clothes of klickys. For me personally, versatility is not an issue, you might see all kinds of people walking in a zoo. However, some are just ugly, and others would be great if they didn't have strange words written on them. I must have at least a dozen klickys with plaid shirts. How many plaid shirts do we really need? Then we talked about the one that says "pickup" and has a picture of a pickup truck. That's just stupid. There's a little girl with I :heart: BOYS on her shirt.  :hmm: I have an adult female with BEACH written on her shirt, which makes me snicker every time I see it. And a favorite example: http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-US-Site/en_US/Product-Show?pid=4697&cgid=Special Why does it say FIT on her shirt? ??? To me this klicky would be absolutely perfect -- she's one of my favorites -- if it didn't have that.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 23:15:48 »
Why does it say FIT on her shirt? ???

Because she's NOT.
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 23:20:09 »
 :lol:

Next it will be a klacky with STYLISH written on her shirt.  :lol: Geobra, please note: this is not a suggestion!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:19:15 by bonniebeth »
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 23:34:02 »
Because she's NOT.

btw, did you notice that her free hand is turned upside down? (if that is the expression)

I have found a couple of this mistakes in box illustrations.

That would be a fun thread!
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com