Author Topic: Annoying room placements in PM doll houses  (Read 8404 times)

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Annoying room placements in PM doll houses
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:53:54 »
I see how it makes sense for the 5300 and 5305 since there is no where else to place the kitchen. But what about all the newer ones? I wonder why they kept putting it there. I made that room the entry hall, but I expanded my house so I had another place for the kitchen.

I would love to see a pic of that apartment building doll house!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:09 »
I know. I wish I had one.  :'(
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Dinobuzz

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:53 »
I know its annoying to have the front door leading into the kitchen cause that's how our RL house is!  8}

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:33:35 »
¿Did it occur to anyone other than me to simply re-arrange the house? :hmm:
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 05:53:50 »
in the case of 5300...
 just switch the floors (you'd have a kitchen on the 2nd floor though :P)

theres also the entrance on the side (with the sunwall) which actually leads to the living room

In the case of the modern houses, just switch the furniture placement

wth anyway, its a toy and theres no need for logic ;D
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:38 »
It's the curse of open plan living.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:35:43 »
Even more annoying to me is the fact that the bathroom in the 5300 (or the room most often depicted as the bathroom) opens up onto the balcony patio.  And there is no CLOSING DOOR for the bathroom entrance, so anyone can just walk in there while a klicky is on the toilet or taking a bath.  I can just imagine being in there and then suddenly someone walks by and says "don't mind me, just trying to get to the balcony patio." 

or if you throw a party on the balcony with the Victorian Balcony party set, all your guests have to pass through the bathroom just to get to the balcony and say "pardon me, just passing through" while you deliver a donation to the porcelain god.

Also annoying is that there is railing on the 5300 stairs along the sides, but NO RAILING at all at the top where someone could easily fall through the opening.  UNSAFE!

And no roof access hatch or ladder to actually get onto the Widow's Walk area on the rooftop.

And a chimney that leads to no fire place!  (even if you put the fireplace from the Grandpa's Den set, it doesn't really go to the chimney!)

And the staircases can ONLY be placed on the LEFT side of a room (though I modded mine so it can go in the reverse direction and placed on the right side.)

And NO CLOSURE in the sun room!  It's just open!  For all thieves and weather to do as they please to your unsecured home!

As far as the kitchen goes, actually, I have seen plenty of (ugly) rambler style houses (circa 1950) where the front door actually does lead to the kitchen directly.  I lived in a few myself.  I don't really like it either.

What the 5300 and other mansions lack also are HALLWAYS connecting the rooms, rather than the rooms just connecting to each other (so in order to get to one room, you have to pass through another).

On my 5300 the first floor room is of course the kitchen.  The next room on that floor is the living room combined with the sunroom.  The second floor is wierd because the 1st room on the 2nd floor (usually used as "Grandpa's Den" is more of a passing room because you have to go through it to get to the bathroom, balcony patio, and the 3rd floor.  So you can't use that passing room as a real bedroom or anything because people pass through it to get to other parts of the house.  So it's pretty much useless IMO.  The only room left is the attic, which I reserve for the master and mistress of the house, but then where do the children go?  They have to sleep in the same room with the parents I guess (so the parents get no privacy whatsoever).

And then how do you get to the Widow's Walk on the roof?  There is no access hatch or ladder there.

Not to mention, the kitchen is only really fully lives up to its potential (with furniture and appliance arrangement) if you leave out the staircase, which then begs the question (how do you get to the second floor?!?!)  Unless you somehow put the staircase leading from the living room up to what is usually used as the bathroom.  But once again you will have the problem of people passing through the bathroom (while you're in it) just to get to the 2nd and 3rd floors, unless you make the bathroom into Grandpa's Den, and turn grandpa's den into the bathroom.  IN which case you should also move the stairs leading to the attic to the same room as the 2nd story stairs.  Then that MIGHT make more sense.  The room above the kitchen could now be a bathroom free from passer-bys walking through to get to other parts of the house SAVE for the front balcony above the front door.  That's STILL wierd though.  Imagine haveing a FRONT DOOR view of the bathroom (or whatever you're doing in it) for all your visitors to see!

ARGH!  It bugs me too, the whole layout!
Needs some serious customizing in order to make it more architecturally practical.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:47:39 by BlackPearl2006 »
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 12:26:01 »
Atto, you had me in stitches!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: You really should be a writer!

You raise a lot if good points, things that drive me crazy, too. Like that people can't get from the first to third floor without going right through the second floor bathroom. There's got to be a better way to design dollhouses.

Just as a side note, i have been to a house one time, in a very nice neighborhood, actually, that had a front door view problem. When you went up to the front door, if you looked to your left, there was a huge picture window looking right into the master bathroom! And someone was in there, too!  :no: Thank goodness she was finished and washing her hands!  :lol: Whoever designed that needs to be fired.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 12:38:03 »
Oh, and Atto, why would you care about people passing through to get to the patio?  ??? We've all seen this picture of you having a little personal time with a tree, right?  :P

I hope you don't mind, Gis.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 14:01:39 by bonniebeth »

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 14:13:22 »
Oh, and Atto, why would you care about people passing through to get to the patio?  ??? We've all seen this picture of you having a little personal time with a tree, right?  :P

I hope you don't mind, Gis.

lol, yes, I guess I should not be so picky about a mansion's bathroom privacy when here I am relieving myself on some poor unsuspecting tree for all to see (and did I even wash my hands?)
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!