Author Topic: How many do you actually buy  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
How many do you actually buy
« on: January 12, 2011, 18:41:20 »
HI

I read all the time about how much we want this set and that set to be re-released and how great life for us and for Playmobil would be. Life for us would be so great that we could finally get that set for a decent price and order the extras to complete our old ones. Life for Playmobil would be great as they would see the items fly off the shelfs due to such high demand that they would actually be ignorant to pass up the opportunity to make a profit.

Now what I started looking at was my own purchasing habits. I was very thrilled that the old 5342 Fish Market was going to hit the mold machines once again in a scaled down version 7455. I was thrilled that I could get that table and many other bits I wanted for years but did not want to pay the "rare" prices. Now when it finally came to the US I immediately bought one, yes a whole one. Now I had planned on picking up more but other items with higher priority soon came. Now some time has passed and I see it is on clearance at PM-US so I naturally pick up 4 more. Well if I who was so thrilled at the news only end up with 5 could this really keep Playmobil's interest? Now if 200 PF members each bought 5 that is still only 1000 sets sold to this group of collectors and how many of us really did buy 5? From what I remember Playmobil has a minimum of 10,000 units per run ? That would take 2000 collectors to buy 5 and few purchase that many of anything. Now this is why I think it is now on clearance.

Now how many of us are going to buy 5, 10 or even 15 of the Victorian Fence that Playmobil decided to re-produce? I just received my first one, yes again I only bought one and I do plan on buying many more (it is really beautiful and my first one ever) but how many of us that have desire lists for re-productions actually are willing to buy dozens of them? 

Now one example I can think of that may have worked out for Playmobil's sake is the Framework houses. They were expensive but they decided to not only make the red one but we saw a blue one and then a yellow one. I think there is such a large broad group of buyers that this may (speculation) have worked out .

The question I ask is that with all the topics on what we want to see re-produced how many of us are actually putting our money where our mouths are? I know by looking at my collection I am only putting about 50¢ of my dollar in my mouth . I really want to see Playmobil continue this pattern of re-productions but if the people who are asking are not supportive I feel it will not continue especially with the "club" idea and all.

Now not to confuse the two I do not see the "Classic Editions" as a collectors re-production. I view them as two different categories. The classic seems to be a more nostalgic and sometimes a cheep way for a parent to get a vehicle (fire, construction or etc.). The "Collectors Editions" (as I like to call them) seem to be less kid friendly ideas and usually reflect our desires.  How many kids ask for an old house, fish stand, fence and if they were to happen (fingers crossed) the items on the "Clubs" list (large barrel, windmill, more houses, water tower, etc...)

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: How many do you actually buy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 19:19:07 »
Well I for certain would be one of those who is willing to get a lot of a single item or set re-production if its of interest to me!

I already have a bout 150 4583 - Sentry and I still need more... The less I have payed for one is 2 euros and the highest is about 8 euros, if I recall correctly. If laymobil would decided to roduce them at a DS bag I'd buy, not sure about a number, but certainly a lot of them

I also have bought a lot of legionaires, Union and Confederate soldiers, red coats from DS...and I need more. I only hope I was living in Athens so I could visit the funpark more often and get more. I'd certainly wanted to buy more western cannons and its a real pity they are discontinued. I'd love to get more framework houses for a medievel town.... I could go on but you get the picture  ;D

On the ''Classic Editions'' issue, I don't find it at all different...I think the same would apply! I have already bought most of them but not in big numbers. But if playmobil decided to re-produce the 3525 fire engine I'd certainly buy 10 of them! Its a set I'd love to have and never managed to as a child. I'd also buy lots of playmospace vehicles.... always planing on a big playmospace diorama  ;D

So yeah, I am one of those who would buy a single set lots of times and make playmobil's time worthwhile!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 19:53:05 »
HI

The ones I consider "Collectors Editions"

Market Stall
Fish Stand
Red Timber House
Blue Timber House
Yellow Timber House
Victorian Fence
Sheriff's Office
Medieval house w/Barn
Pirates Dungeon

The ones I consider "Classic Editions"

Green Construction Truck
Orange Construction Truck
Garbage Truck
Fire Truck
Police Boat
Western Stagecoach

Did I miss any (I must have?)

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 20:02:08 »
Well, there are collectors who love the construction and city service themes, so these are probably considered by them as collectors editions too... I certainly feel that way about the fire truck (my first ever playmobil set and true love  :love:) the police boat and the western stage coach, of which I have four, and I'd like to get a few more!

So its really up to a person's subjectivity what is collectable and what is not, just my  :2c:  :)

There are of course these sets that are collector's editions by themselves like all the ones you have listed as being collectable, and to which list I will fully agree!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 20:40:30 »
HI

I mean if you want to get technical, in here everything Playmobil makes is a collectible to us.

I am just separating the two as- ones Playmobil makes for the general market and the ones that seem to only suit collectors . How many generic parents would buy their kid a Pirate Dungeon  where as a generic parent is much more likely to buy a $15 classic fire truck . They all really fall under the umbrella of re-releases but I see the "Collectors Edition" as a group that we as a community should try to influence , as long as we are willing to really buy them to keep the trend going so we someday can get real influence over the DS line.

I really would like to know how much we actually support this trend and if it has a chance of continuing. 

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 20:51:52 »
I guess the best example is the big beer barrel. Probably most parents are not interested in buying this for their children. A re-release would clearly be for collectors.

But I think we may be seriously under-estimating the number of collectors out there. maybe there are only 400 here on the english forum, but what about spanish, french and especially german forums? many of them are not here, as they don't speak english. Plus you have to remember that MANY, i might even venture to say the majority, of collectors out there don't know any of these forums exist. I only found out recently, but I was definitely contributing to playmobil's bottom line before I was known of in the collector community or knew i wasn't the only adult who spent all my money on toys. I'm sure that is the case of nearly everyone here, and the story will continue to be repeated again and again. More people join all the time.

My point is that worldwide, I am sure that there are thousands of adult collectors who are interested in these rare pieces. Few of them are going to see these old items re-released and not get at least one for their collection, and if it is a part of the theme they collect, some will buy dozens. I think the 10,000 set minimum can be reached very easily on most of the items we have been clamouring for.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 21:17:40 »

I already have a bout 150 4583 - Sentry and I still need more... The less I have payed for one is 2 euros and the highest is about 8 euros, if I recall correctly. If laymobil would decided to roduce them at a DS bag I'd buy, not sure about a number, but certainly a lot of them

Hi Playmobil did re-issue this figure in a blister . This is how I ended up with the ones I have

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 23:22:16 »
I have bought many of the same sets that were available when I started collecting Playmobil in 2005.  I limit myself to the themes i like and have bought less as the economy took a nose dive, especially since Target stopped carrying Playmobil.

Some sets I have bought just a few and others, all I could find, for example, sets that I have bought more than 20 of:

25x 4245  22x 4616  50x 4643  20x 4644  20x 4666  22x 5788  20x 5792  60x 5825
53x 5888  23x 4632  28x 5827  49x 7878  69x 5848 

I own some 1,252 sets total.  My interest is in playing wargames with Playmobil.

-- Donmobil

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 00:00:45 »
HI Bonnie

The barrel has not even been made yet, and I do hope it is a "yet". How many parents do you figure were interested in 7377 "Pirates Dungeon" for a set. It does not fit any castle or building system that is currently made and is even offered in a bare bones pirate theme. Now I hear members all day long say "Bring Back Stecks" but they have in sets like these. Are members buying them by the dozens to support Playmobil's move. We have long wanted for the Victorian fence but is Playmobil so over run with orders they will soon run out?

I really am curious if say an add on of the barrel or say 7400 was to even hit Mr B's desk would people really buy them as much as they talk about it ? I really feel this is vital information due to it validating our wishes to the company. The information is - are collectors already supporting the re-releases in large enough volume? I know I am not yet but what about others?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 00:01:30 »
Hi Danmobil

Thanks for your reply but most if not all of those are regular sets. What I am talking about is how much support does the DS system get from collectors in forums where we are so eager to tell Playmobil what they should re-release. Are we really buying the Victorian fences in such great numbers that will warrant Playmobil interest in re-releasing others? Your example actually shows that Playmobil should not re-release old items but continue making new ones as those are the ones collectors are buying in greatest numbers.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"