Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean: H.M.S. Interceptor VS. The BLACK PEARL at dusk  (Read 21038 times)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: H.M.S. Interceptor VS. The BLACK PEARL at dusk
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:03 »
Great story, your photograhs are absolutely amazing! :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Damo :)

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 15:59:43 »
Great Ship! Do you have any detailed pics of the making? Any other pics are more than welcome!

hauden_lukas

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 16:57:11 »
The lake is pretty deep, which is why I was unable to retrieve the cargo that fell overboard from the Pearl and the Interceptor, including the Admiral's Hat!  (My British Royal Admiral is now hatless, and I only had one of them :(  )

Also,  I made sure they had styrofoam inserts in the case that they capsized  so they wouldn't be lost to the lakebed forever (and yes, the black pearl actually did capsize twice before I finally removed the cannons and extra weight so the water wouldn't splash into the cannon port holes).  Ssadly, I lost my crate of chickens and a rooster that came with the ship, along with the cargo pallat that the crane uses to haul  goods onto the ship with :(
i wondered if you lost anything overboard, or if you glued things in place.  would museum glue work to keep the items on the deck from sliding?  it is not permanent,  leaves no residue, can be formed to any size, yet holds quite well.  i have it on quite a few things in my house ( since i live in prime earthquake country).  if you like, i will test it under water.

loved your photos, sorry to hear about the admiral's hat.  the dark and stormy dusk was perfect.
kaethe

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 18:04:50 »
i wondered if you lost anything overboard, or if you glued things in place.  would museum glue work to keep the items on the deck from sliding?  it is not permanent,  leaves no residue, can be formed to any size, yet holds quite well.  i have it on quite a few things in my house ( since i live in prime earthquake country).  if you like, i will test it under water.

loved your photos, sorry to hear about the admiral's hat.  the dark and stormy dusk was perfect.
kaethe

Actually I usually glue certain things to the deck (like barrels and cargo) using a HOT GLUE GUN and it works well.  I use hot glue gun because the glued items can easily be removed later without damaging anything.  The hot glue really isn't a chemical glue like most model glues; it's more of a filler glue and can be peeled off easily.  I also use it to take shapes and mold into parts.  My mizzen mast is actually secured by a mounting foundation composed of layers of hot glue gun glue which dries solid.  It works well for me.

Before she was the Pearl, I also had rats glued to the deck in various spots (under the stairs, by the deadeye mounts, at the foot of the helm).  Admittedly, I lost cargo this time 'round because I just wanted to see her sail (this was her maiden voyage as the Black Pearl) and did not take the time to glue anything in place as far as cargo goes.  The only preventative measure I took was to secure the  cannons on the upper deck, which I'm glad I did, because she did capsize under the wind.  Those cannons aren't cheap.

For now, until I can modify the pearl to take on rougher waters with a full cargo and crew, she will be sailing with no cargo or crew, save for one klicky at the helm (Jack Sparrow).  When she is completely empty, her bluff line is actually less than an inche from the bottom (almost as if she is sitting on her bottom on a living room floor).  I wish she sailed like that with a full load.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 18:16:32 »
Great Ship! Do you have any detailed pics of the making? Any other pics are more than welcome!

hauden_lukas

Later in the customs gallery I will post detailed pics of the pearl.  I've been meaning to but there are a few things I want to finish on her before I show her off completely.  The stock playmo cannons are gold, but I want to paint them darker (more of a dark gunmetal/copper tone).  I want to add pulleys to the cannon port hatches so they can open by pulling a string.  I was also working on installing a true deck on and behind the forecastle (3286 has a big hole there to access the cannons) :(.   And mostly I am still building the aftcastle hanging eves.  I also want to install lighting.  The sails can furl and unfurl, but I want to install ties on each yard so the furled sails can be secured tightly.  I am awaiting a motor (from ebay) which I want to be able to use on the ship on severely windy days, and I want to be able to draw the sails tightly.

However I may break down and take work in progress pics for now and post them as I make the additions/mods.  Maybe I'll just do that, so there'll be something new to read about over a longer period of time, lol.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 19:00:39 »
Following Blackpearl2006 and MacGayver's comments on items falling overboard and disappearing at the bottom of the lake, I must confess my "extreme candour and surprise" when the Mrs Macclesfield's fell off into the river in Chester and went straight to the bottom  :o :'(

You can easily imagine my reaction, but as the river was not too deep, I kindly asked a local fisherman to lend me his paddle saying that the object had a very strong sentimental value which is true and retrieved the hat  :love:

Karim :)
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 21:22:10 »
Following Blackpearl2006 and MacGayver's comments on items falling overboard and disappearing at the bottom of the lake, I must confess my "extreme candour and surprise" when the Mrs Macclesfield's fell off into the river in Chester and went straight to the bottom  :o :'(

You can easily imagine my reaction, but as the river was not too deep, I kindly asked a local fisherman to lend me his paddle saying that the object had a very strong sentimental value which is true and retrieved the hat  :love:

Karim :)

Did Mrs. Macclesfield herself fall overboard?  Or was it her (hat)?  I wish I had brought a fishing net with me to retrieve my cargo.  I miss my chickens and my rooster, and my crate, and my loading pallate, but most of all I miss my admiral's hat.  Though mine are replaceable, unlike something more sentimental as your Mrs. Macclesfield's something or other I gander.  I'm glad I didn't lose my custom Jack Sparrow, though.  Luckily, klickies themselves float.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 17:48:01 »
A great story and excellent photos, very atmospheric and capturing the event beautifully.

Did the Black Pearl capsize maybe because the lines of the rigging were too tight?  I once sailed a red corsair and had the lines too tight so that when the wind blew she just capsized straight away.  With them slack, so the sails could fill up with the wind and disperse its power, the problem was greatly reduced.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 21:27:58 »
A great story and excellent photos, very atmospheric and capturing the event beautifully.

Did the Black Pearl capsize maybe because the lines of the rigging were too tight?  I once sailed a red corsair and had the lines too tight so that when the wind blew she just capsized straight away.  With them slack, so the sails could fill up with the wind and disperse its power, the problem was greatly reduced.

Well, there are a few reasons she capsized, lol.  Being that she never capsized once I lightened her load by removing the gundeck, the cannons, the remaining cargo, AND the crew (save for the captain at the helm), one main reason is that on a full load, she has too deep a draft, causing the gunports to come very close to the waterline.  She'll float, no doubt, but any trifle broadside wave that splashes in will cause her to take on water at the gun ports and then sink.

The other reason, somewhat related to what you suggest, is that any side winds will blow against the staysails (including the jibs) and cause the ship to list, again, submerging the opposite side's gunports that were already precariously close to the waterline due to the deep draft caused by the extreme load.

FYI, my crew and compliment (including additions to the ship that are not stock) include:

14 cannons
13 crew members (some in the ratlines and tops)
1 treasure chest
1 crate
3 chickens
1 sack of grain
3 barrells of rum(?)
1 loading pallate
1 added mizzen mast/yards, sails, ratlines
1 added forecastle
12 sails (versus 4 stock sails)
3 high profile lanterns at the stern
2 HUGE anchors at the bow
1 extra ballast from a 3070 ship, to counter top-end weight

Suprisingly, she CAN float in still waters with this on board, as long as water does not get in at the gunports.  And she won't list in still waters as long as the ship is stocked evenly.

My square sails are not very taught, actually.  The top gallant sails are designed so that even if the clews are pulled tightly, the middle of the sail is still rather "loose" and can still billow in the wind and catch it from multiple angles.  I have the top sails and main sails both rigged by the sheets which dangle, so to speak, so they are far from taught.  The only sails that are taught are the staysails, which DO contribute to the ship listing when encountering crosswinds.  I suppose I COULD give them slack so they aren't so stiff, but it still doesn't take much to make the boat list.

The main problem is that the ship is really "missing" a true bottom and keel, since the Playmobil ships are designed to look like a real ship ABOVE the waterline; it's missing the entire part of the ship BELOW the waterline, causing to have too deep a draft, making the waterline too high and too close to ports and even the main deck.

SOLUTION:  The ship needs its missing lower hull, AND a keel (which would help negate roll).

I'm working on that.

In the meantime, simply emptying the ship of all crew and cargo does nicely, as the empty ship actually floats much higher and is actually VERY shallow on the draft (only about 2 centimetres or so deep).  I wish she'd sail like that on a full load.  :D

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 22:34:43 »
I really like the pics!  :captain:
The extra sails make the ships more realistic. Maybe you could additionally prolong the frontmast? (though that would disturb the balance of the ship when put in water) I've done that with some of my 3940 (US 3286) frigates.

Piccie of the masts of the "Unicorn" (custom 3940-trimaster I once got from & made by another big Playmo-fan/customiser), to give an idea  about the taller masts.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!