Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean: H.M.S. Interceptor VS. The BLACK PEARL at dusk  (Read 21037 times)

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: H.M.S. Interceptor VS. The BLACK PEARL at dusk
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 23:25:40 »
I really like the pics!  :captain:
The extra sails make the ships more realistic. Maybe you could additionally prolong the frontmast? (though that would disturb the balance of the ship when put in water) I've done that with some of my 3940 (US 3286) frigates.

Piccie of the masts of the "Unicorn" (custom 3940-trimaster I once got from & made by another big Playmo-fan/customiser), to give an idea  about the taller masts.

Aye, I thought about adding additional masting atop the existing ones ala macgayver style.  Certainly it would make for better on-land play/display, but not practical for sailing.

Originally I added topsails using stock playmobil sails, but I found they were too heavy.  So I divided the lower main sails into two sails and added a top gallant all using a light-weight material instead of the playmosails so that it would give the appearence of a 3-tiered sail layout without having to add additional masting atop the existing ones.

As it is, Playmobil ships are far from being in scale to themselves, so techincally the tops are suppossed to be above the main sails, and each additonal tier would most likely have additonal masting (and shrouds) per set of sails, like your Unicorn.  But then the ship is too stubby compared to the added height, so the ship has to be extended, again, like your Unicorn, in order to remain proportional looking.  Had I the money before I started this project, I would have joined 2 3286 ships together like your ship.  In the end, however, Im glad I didn't, because taller masts I doubt would have let her sail at all;  as it is, I struggle to get her to sail and remain upright in her current form.

But your Unicorn is lovely, and I wish I had one.  :)

Btw, Hadoque, I can't remember, are you the one on the old playmoboards that had a black 3050 style ship (I think called the Punisher) that had below-deck cannons?  Or was that DeadEye Dick?  I dunno if anyone remembers me from the old boards.  I had two I.D.'s there because I completely forgot my password and couldn't log back in at one point, so I went by Attomobil2006, and then again as BlackPearl2006.  I had pics of this very 3286 ship (stock) in blue swimming pool setting, along with my "Interceptor" aka "HMS Sentinel".  I remember a lot of familiar names I see here from that old board.  I haven't been able to do playo since 2006, pretty much.  -Atto
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 23:37:35 by BlackPearl2006 »
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 00:22:11 »
Aha, so it's you matey!  :arrr:

I remember your pictures on Playmoboard from the swimming-pool very well.  :)
But the "Punisher" was not by me, I too think it was DeadeyeDick's ship as you suggest.

When the masts are prolonged as much as on the Unicorn, they would become too tall on a regular 3940/3286 'frigate' and certainly on the earlier 'galleons' like the 3750, even for display.

On 2 of my 3940's I did prolong the frontmast a bit using the old knifethrower's disc as a platform. I added only a short piece of mast and rigging, so that it doesn't disturb the proportions of the ship.
The idea was to approach the look of the pirate-vessel of "Rackham Le Rouge", who attacks the"'Unicorn" in the comic "The Secret of the Unicorn" (The Adventures of Tintin, by Hergé)
I'll try to make time to take some pics later this week or next week.

Of course, If you mostly intend to let your ships actually in the water regularly, your method for adding sails is much better for stabilisation.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 04:16:53 »
I really like how your ships are in the water.  The Black Pearl on the blue water looks amazing too. :)9
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline grangel

• Playmo Master
  • Medieval military designer
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 22:12:08 »
Great Story!!!!!!
Beautifull pictures!!!!!
Magnificent job!!

Thank you for sharing with us!!

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
:-[ i don't know how but i completely missed this thread.
 :wow: fantastic work bp2006.
 :love: i love the way the atmosphere evolves from afternoon to evening.
... and you have "moved" playmovictorian too (maybe he will finally try a "sea-worthy" series of dioramas) ;) .
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
I'm feeling piratey lately....  anyone see the last movie?  I saw it twice, in garb, but for some reason it didn't do anything for me :(.  I'm also mad that the Black Pearl ship (in real life) was hacked up to be reused as the Queen Anne's Revenge.  Using the same ship base and redressing it to appear to look like a different ship for the movie grrrrr.   The entire stern castle, galleries, and stern ornaments are gone and replaced with completely different stuff.

The only plus about it is I now have an excuse to make a new custom....but I never finished the original Black Pearl yet.

I so want to re-write the last two pirates films (3rd and recent 4th movie).  My version would have been so much better.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline customklick

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 16:07:56 »
Who won?

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 19:14:23 »
Who won?

Pirates... ::) ;)
Though in reality the navy eventually conquers all! >:D
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 19:15:50 »
I'm feeling piratey lately....  anyone see the last movie?  I saw it twice, in garb, but for some reason it didn't do anything for me :(. ...

Maybe what will relieve your pirateiness is a small naval battle? ;)

If only we could find a way to fight with our ships online... :!:
Steck is BACK! <:>