Author Topic: R/C Ship?  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
R/C Ship?
« on: August 01, 2010, 18:05:37 »
Has anyone converted a Playmobil ship to R/C?

A pirate ship would be my obvious choice for something like this if I was to do this.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: R/C Ship?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 19:55:38 »
I have seen an R/C pirate ship somewhere.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:03:15 »
I bought a cheap remote control boat to try this last year, but the motor and steering assembly was integral to the hull so I couldn't remove them without destroying them.  >:(

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:33:45 »
I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverlit-Flying-Dutchman-Pirate-Electric/dp/B001R1NYBI/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1280734119&sr=1-21

You can get the "Ed Hardy" version of this for 1/3 the price (same boat, different marketing ploy).  But, like what you said Martin, without being able to really sit down with it and experiment how do you know if you can take the stuff of it and use it?!

The reason I wanted to go this route was to get the remote and motors and prop and stuff separately through a hobby shop would end up costing a lot more than buying a whole model and just taking off what you need.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:55:12 »
I have seen an R/C pirate ship somewhere.

There was one on playmoboard many years ago but obviously the thread is now lost.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:46:15 »
There was one on playmoboard many years ago but obviously the thread is now lost.

I remember that one, Gary.  I think playmo1989 posted something on PF in the last few weeks, too.  Maybe if I ask him he'll remember.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:06:55 »
A series of sets (hulls) to convert all PM ships to R/C is one of my lessers dreams (especially since I lost my Boatswain overbaosr when the T/S Queen Of Ranroon capsized in Southside City Park’s duck pond)…
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 14:02:56 »
Hi Friends,

im a big RC Collector and RC Customizer !  :wave:

We talk about Rc the last years here have a look here:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1986.0

world greets

Andi

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 14:39:05 »
Hi Friends,

im a big RC Collector and RC Customizer !  :wave:

We talk about Rc the last years here have a look here:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1986.0

world greets

Andi

Thank you for the link!  When you built your boat, did you use the R/C components from a boat that was already made or did you just buy them separately and install them? 

I have seen some really cheap R/C boats around at various shops for like $30 or so (the toy ones, not the expensive hobby ones).  Would those work to strip out the components and put them in? 

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 14:52:43 »
Thank you for the link!  When you built your boat, did you use the R/C components from a boat that was already made or did you just buy them separately and install them? 

I have seen some really cheap R/C boats around at various shops for like $30 or so (the toy ones, not the expensive hobby ones).  Would those work to strip out the components and put them in? 

Now I have a hot glue giun and access to sufficient workshop space, I think it would be reasonably easy to do. One would only need to drill a couple of holes in the Playmo hull, for the propeller and rudder, possibly only one if these are combined.  Hot glue should provide a watertight seal once you've fed the components through.   

It's not on my list of priorities to create an R/C ship, but I've got open water not too far away for trials, a creek running behind my garden (and on my property), though it needs a bit of clearing of weeds.