Author Topic: PLAYMOLEGO  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
PLAYMOLEGO
« on: July 29, 2010, 00:04:09 »

You read it correctly ... PlaymoLego!

We saw lots of interesting things when we were in Germany.

And, now that I have a moment, I'll share this one with you.
(And, in between reading and answering email, I'll be posting more as time allows.)

We went into the Nürnberg Karstadt store and saw an amazing sight. At first, neither Susan nor I could believe our eyes. But, there it was. And, of all places, in the Playmobil section of Karstadt's toy department.

It was a Playmobil size Lego minifig. And, OMG, was it ugly. I had never thought about Lego minifigs being ugly before. Perhaps it's because they're small. And, I guess being small makes them look sort of cute. But, when they're the size of a Playmobil Klicky, they are absolutely ugly!

The next morning, I showed the attached photo to the folks at Zirndorf. They were not as amused as I was. That afternoon I was told that it was NOT manufactured by Lego. However, it was produced under license from Billund. I suggested that it was actually great advertising for Playmobil, as it would let everyone see how attractive our Playmobil Klickys are compared to those ugly Playmo-size Lego minifigs ... :klickygrin:

I don't know what happened after that.

see attachment

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: PLAYMOLEGO
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 00:18:08 »
Hi

Was this intended as a toy to go with Legos or just a key chain? I am used to the look of legos and do not see it as ugly but more of a toy-ish toy, whereas Playmobil to me always looked like miniature real people. Did you buy one or is this the picture you took in Germany? It is hard to get the size comparison with out the Minifig and Klicky standing together

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 00:40:34 »

Was this intended as a toy to go with Legos or just a key chain?

Did you buy one or is this the picture you took in Germany? It is hard to get the size comparison with out the Minifig and Klicky standing together

Ras, it looks like it may have been intended to be used only as a key chain.

I did not buy one of these large minifigs. And, yes, this is the photo that I took in Germany. The Playmobil Klickys on the box are full size. And, in the full-size photo it's easier to see that the Lego Minifig is about the same size as the Playmobil Klickys.

I've attempted to put the two side by side in picture two. Maybe you can get a better sense of scale from that.

I agree that in a smaller photo the minifig just looks like a regular Lego size minifig.

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 00:48:27 »
You know, I think it’s kinda a cool idea… Not sure if I’d buy one or not, but the concept is kinda cool…
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Arizzo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:10:35 »
hi there,

I may be able to bring some 'light' :lol: into this mystery ....  ;)

if you have a look at the box of the playmo-sized lego-figure you notice the german word 'Mini Taschenlampe' (see attachment) - which translated means 'mini (or baby-sized) electric torch' or 'mini (or baby-sized) flashlight' ...

if you have an even closer look at the picture beside the word you may notice the flash of light coming out of one foot of the minifig ...

so in fact the item is not a lego minifig but a flashlight in the form of a lego minifig - this may also explain why the item is not produced by Lego but by Billund

hth
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:17:51 by Arizzo »
Cheers
Arizzo

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. hehehe

Well I haven't written much lately, you say?
So what! Neither has Shakespeare!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 01:45:51 »
Hi

I was wondering why it was so expensive. 8 euros or $10.40 is a bit steep for a keychain but a flashlight for that price makes more sense.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 02:26:21 »

Very nice detective work, Sven ... :wow:

I just looked at the "maxi" minifig's size and I didn't even think that there might be any reason to look further. I guess that sometimes it might be a good idea to look beyond the obvious ...  :klickygrin:

Regardless, it lets us see what a Playmosize Lego minifig would look like. And, I know that I wouldn't want one.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 03:30:36 »
Lego got a lot of spin-off product using the LEGO FIGURE. They have two size of this legoman torches, one bigger if I can recall well. They also use the yellow lego head as a lot of stationaries, including glue and erasers. I think that is why lego is often viewed as more like collectibles to outsiders than playmobil. Talking about large size figure, playmobil really should open up the market of 2ft tall klickies, instead of keeping them as not for sale items that eventually leak on ebay.

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 04:02:34 »
I agree with you, Richard.  It's ugly.   :(o):
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 04:11:18 »
They could at least give the lego figure some cloths..make it look like a policeman or firefighter...