Author Topic: Something of interest to mediaeval fans  (Read 2967 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Something of interest to mediaeval fans
« on: July 28, 2010, 15:35:45 »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: Something of interest to mediaeval fans
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 16:51:10 »
Very interesting Gordon thanks!

I don't know if ALL castles were plastered and painted, or just ones on the continent of Europe. "Living" archaeology is certainly a fascinating way to learn abotu the ancient techniques - I used to enjoy the BBC series "Secrets of the Ancients" - but this project is thousands of times more complex, time-consuming and downright daunting.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 17:03:26 »
Very interesting Gordon thanks!

I don't know if ALL castles were plastered and painted, or just ones on the continent of Europe. "Living" archaeology is certainly a fascinating way to learn abotu the ancient techniques - I used to enjoy the BBC series "Secrets of the Ancients" - but this project is thousands of times more complex, time-consuming and downright daunting.

Plastering and painting were also common in England.  Remember, in mediaeval times large parts of France were ruled by "English" kings who would spend part of the year in France so there would have been a great similarity in decoration etc between the two countries. 
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 17:22:36 »
Sounds funny,
And looks really neat.
I will read more soon,
Thanks Gordon! :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 21:02:56 »
A most interesting article Gordon!! Thanks for the link! Literary, history on the making!

Archaeology is the search for facts, as a good friend of mine has put it... But anthropologists would argue otherwise... we may have the fact, material, blueprints etc etc, but the actual process of building is unknown to us...we can mostly speculate and interpret in our ways how things were done... This endevour in Château de Guédelon , and I envy such efforts are not taking place to reconstruct monuments in modern Greece (or should I say postmodern?), is a great mixture of both facts and interpretation actually, and I like that!!!

Offline Arizzo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 21:18:25 »
We (my wife and me) have been there 5 years ago during vacation in France - Guedelon is located just about one, maybe 1 and 1/2 hour (with the car) to the south from Paris.

It was a real interesting tour through medieval handcraft. They build nearly everything they need on their own and the visitors are allowed to have a closer look on their doings nearly everywhere on the area. They also do guided tours explaining what exactly they are doing (and why) around the site and offer medieval food and drinks at their resting area. You can also have a look at their architectural plans etc.

If you are ever around there in France I strongly recommend a visit at Guedelon.  :)9
Cheers
Arizzo

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. hehehe

Well I haven't written much lately, you say?
So what! Neither has Shakespeare!

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 21:27:07 »

Archaeology is the search for facts............

Hmmm, that statement is riddled with a lot of assumptions that are not scientific. For what is a fact, exactly? And who makes a fact a fact? There are a lot of matters about which scientists amongst themselves do not agree.

The science of archeology studies the relation between cultures and the material deposits they leave behind.

Or am I making things too heavy now?

Great article. I'll put this on my list of places to visit.

But............do I need to plaster my steck castle now???????????????
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Arizzo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 21:32:58 »
But............do I need to plaster my steck castle now???????????????

the answer is: yessssssssssssss

but only if you are a perfectionist & medieval aficionado, of course  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Arizzo

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. hehehe

Well I haven't written much lately, you say?
So what! Neither has Shakespeare!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 22:07:35 »
Hmmm, that statement is riddled with a lot of assumptions that are not scientific. For what is a fact, exactly? And who makes a fact a fact? There are a lot of matters about which scientists amongst themselves do not agree.

The science of archeology studies the relation between cultures and the material deposits they leave behind.

Or am I making things too heavy now?

No, not at all... It makes the anthropologist argument even stronger actually. Assumptions of course are not scientific...we can only speculate and an argument can be made if a person, or persons, have dealed, relived or experienced, what they consider to be, a fact!

What is a fact exactly? Well, that depends on the individual's, or group of people dealing with the fact, interpretation! Universal truths exist, but we give them the meaning we want to give them....

Unless you have an argument in mathematics, physics, or chemistry...and even there scientists are not always coherent.

But here is another question for you: Is archaeology a science? (Now I've gone too heavy...) Sorry, I miss those good old academic days... 8} 8} 8} 8} 8} They used to drive me mad!!!

Anyways, back to playmobil!!! Yes, If you want a proper medieval castle you'll have to plaster it!!!  :D :D :D I'll get my plaster first thing in the morning!!!

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:20 »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Playmofire! :)  I had no idea this existed and now I must see it someday!
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy: