Author Topic: Suggestions for the best pirate ship to buy.  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
Suggestions for the best pirate ship to buy.
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:32:27 »
Can I have some opinions about the best type of Pirate ship to buy for my 6 year old please?

I vaguely recall Alex mentioning one that was not good, but can't remember where I read it.

Thanks!
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: Suggestions for the best pirate ship to buy.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:43:30 »
Well, I believe the best one will have to be 3286 - Pirate Flagship

Its big, expandable, ie you can get more cannons for it, has loads of extras and some really nice figures...

I also believe that 4290 - Large Pirate Ship will also be suitable, maybe it will look great for a 6 year old... I know the firing canons have thrilled my collegues 8 year old son....

If accessories worry you and you do not want to have trouble with little pieces this latest 5869 - Red Corsair has so few parts that you will not have to worry about swallong etc...

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:51:36 »
I agree with Wolf Knight, i have 3286 and its really good. Only problem might be trying to find it now.

Abbot Hamilton
O brother where for art thou?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:15:49 »
I'd agree with Wolf Knight and Abbott Hamilton about the 3286.  It's also available as the 3940 which is the same ship but with shooting cannon.  (They shoot a proper cannon ball).  The 3286 was the North American version of the 3940.  This is the most realistic pirate ship and even has room for two cannon in the captain's cabin just as would be the case in real life.

Another good ship would be a 3750, old but a nice uncluttered design.  Spares are probably still available from DS.

All these would be eBay buys unless you were lucky enough to find a 3940 or 3286 new in a shop.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:06:08 »
I agree with the previous posts, the 3940 would be a perfect choice. Its a great ship and it comes with _a lot_ of equipment.
But as playmofire mentioned, it might be difficult to get a new one. On the other hand, you can get a real bargain with pirate ships quite often at eBay.

I also would like to bring your attention to this very nice ship:
4444 - Cannon Boat

Instead of the 3750, I would instead suggest the following ship:
5778 - Pirate Skull Ship
It basically is the 3750 in a new compilation (speaking of the colors).

And finally, all the corsair ships are somewhat nice. I like this the most:
3174 - Red Pirateship

Somehow I have a tendency to red sail...  :hmm:

best,
socrates

P.S.: @Wolf Knight: I pretty much hope that her 6 year old son will not swallow his toys anymore...  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:48:48 by socrates »
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:43:03 »
Thank you for mentioning the 4444, Socrates.  I have been trying to remember what the small sailing boat was.   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:13 »

P.S.: @Wolf Knight: I pretty much hope that her 6 year old girl will not swallow her toys anymore...  :lol:

Good point, but you never know...

Good suggestion on the 4444 socrates!!!

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:22:17 »
I have the 4444 cannon boat and the red corsair that my kids love. The 4444 cannon boat can be upgraded with the underwater motor the red corsair that I have can't. I love the red corsair though.

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 12:42:19 »
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies!

We already own the 4444 and it sits on the edge of the bath awaiting each new adventure. My son loves this but has wanted a bigger one (with nice big sails!).

I will keep on looking at ebay and see if I can locate any of your suggestions.
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 15:10:14 »
I also believe that 4290 - Large Pirate Ship will also be suitable, maybe it will look great for a 6 year old... I know the firing canons have thrilled my collegues 8 year old son....

I'd go with 4290. It's currently available, has lots of fun bits (hidden cannons, raising flag etc), the most realistic looking sails of any pirate ship so far, no complex rigging to sort out, and the only negative is the odd color scheme. The colors look more muted on Playmodb than I've seen elsewhere, so they may not be as bad as all that.

I bought one of these for a nephew for Christmas and he was delighted with it.