Author Topic: Connector pieces for custom vehicle  (Read 2220 times)

Offline mwilbury

• Playmo Enthusiast
Connector pieces for custom vehicle
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:28:46 »
Hi gang, I'm about to try my hand at customizing a vehicle or two, and I'm looking for ways to affix a custom piece to the vehicle body using DS parts.  In this case, I am adding a fuel tank to a helicopter, but it could apply to additional customizations.  I've attached a simple diagram of what i'm trying to accomplish here.

Of course, I can just hot glue it or epoxy it together, but I'd prefer to stick with Playmobil parts and methods as much as possible (also would be nice if the pieces were removeable). 

I'm new to the Playmobil scene and pretty oblivious to Steck and System X stuff.  Any part number suggestions?

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: Connector pieces for custom vehicle
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:31:53 »
The design depends much on what helicopter you want to put this fuel tank on....since playmobil has produuced a variety of helicopters...Once we determine that i think we can proceed with the parts that you might need.... ;)

Offline mwilbury

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:34:34 »
I am using the 7885 Classic Helicopter.  I'll be mounting it just behind the cockpit.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:42 »
One way would be to use a yellow System-X connector, but that would mean drilling a hole in the helicopter.  If you don't want to do that, then glueing a red System-X connector to the helicopter is another possibility.  System-X connectors fix through a hole you would need to drill in the tank and in the helicopter if you used the first option.  It is a circular hole with squared off corners, if you follow.  The diameter is either 7mm or 7.5mm.  You'll need to experiment!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline mwilbury

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 14:37:26 »
I do intend to drill a hole in the body of the helicopter.  I will probably permanently attach (glue) the other end of the connector to the fuel tank.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 14:43:39 »
Here's the piece you want:

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-03-6600

The best thing is to get hold of a few first and study the problem.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 14:54:03 »
Using Gordons recommendation of System X connectors, you can use the red type connector 30096900, then grind it to have a flat rectangular bottom base, next use a craft hot glue gun to adhere it to the helicopter fuselage. It can be removed in the future using a hair dryer, & will leave no trace of the modification, therefore not causing any regrets. Drill the hole as planned in the fuel tank & attach to the fuselage, done!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!