Author Topic: Stickers safely removed!  (Read 4134 times)

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Stickers safely removed!
« on: April 28, 2010, 14:53:41 »
I said I would let you know how I got on after following Bill's instructions to remove the sticker from the back of my old schooner.  Because of the raised plastic around the sticker I thought I would have trouble but in no time at all the sticker was safely removed and in a jar.
I'm now left with the problem of bleaching the plastic and unfortunately when the schooner came out of storage it had a small piece broken off, but I think I can replace that.
The photo shows how badly discoloured the hull is, but I'll persevere with the bleach and see what happens.
So thank you Bill for the instructions.  :wow:

The sticker is safely in the jar!

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
Re: Stickers safely removed!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 16:15:10 »
Congratulations skypurr, that really seems to have worked well!  :wave:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 16:42:17 »
If the hull is uniformly that colour, I think it looks quite nice, in the photo certainly, and you certainly made a successful job of removing the stickers; there's no sign that they've ever been there.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 19:26:47 »
Congratulation Elaine!!! A job well done!!! The hull seems ok though....

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 20:40:19 »
Great job Elaine! I recommend that you do not store the decal in any liquid at all, even water :no:! I advise that you leave it dry in a sealed jar. If it sticks to itself, that can be easily resolved when placing it in the soapy water solution & detaching it from itself while submersed before reapplying to the part. Sometimes the reaction to even water can cause the decals adhesive to suffer irreversible damage :0! I am experimenting with hobby decal adhesives presently to see if  there is a coating that is safe & effective for decals suffering from non sticky conditions.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 20:46:40 »
A large container & H2O2 would be great for this project :)9!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 21:51:52 »
If the hull is uniformly that colour, I think it looks quite nice, .

Unfortanately Gordon it is quite patchy, I'm not necessarily aiming to get it back to be as light as the place where the stickers were, if I can get it to where it looks OK overall that will be fine.

Great job Elaine! I recommend that you do not store the decal in any liquid at all, even water .
Thanks Bill, I have the decal sealed in an empty dry jamjar, so hope it will be OK

Elaine

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 22:50:51 »
Thanks Bill, I have the decal sealed in an empty dry jamjar, so hope it will be OK

Elaine

Well done Elaine :)9! It sounds like you have it taken care of quite nicely!

I wish you lived closer to be able to ship that hull to me :-\! I have a lot of H2O2 & this part would be the best demonstration to work with, hopefully to show favorable results ;)!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:36:40 »
Looks like you are doing an excellent restoration job :)9

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 13:31:58 »

I wish you lived closer to be able to ship that hull to me :-\! I have a lot of H2O2 & this part would be the best demonstration to work with, hopefully to show favorable results ;)!

I might take you up on that offer Bill,  8-) - I'm sure you'd do a better job than I would. I'll check what postage would be.

Elaine