Author Topic: What they usually look like when I get them!  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
What they usually look like when I get them!
« on: April 07, 2010, 14:40:48 »
After receiving questions about if I paint my 3526 & 3525 fire trucks because they look so shiney & good, I decided to show what Rescue Unit 27 of the Playmobil City International Airport Fire Department looked like during the disassembly process. This was the only time I have taken pictures during any of my 20 plus 3526 & 3525 fire trucks refurbish projects. This truck came to me in pretty rough condition! On a personal evaluation scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the worst condition possible, literally junk, it was rated as a 5. After many hours of cleaning, sanding, polishing, & detail work it has turned out the way it looks in the recent photo story telling topic PCIAFD takes delivery of the Super Heavy Duty Rescue Unit 27. BTW, the seller that listed this item claimed it was in good used condition!

I hope you like the pictures of this diamond in the rough project!

What PCIAFD Super Heavy Duty Rescue Unit 27 presently looks like after its transition.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 14:54:18 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Re: What they usually look like when I get them!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 16:07:22 »
 :-[ You work wonders Bill! :wow: :wow:
Unfortunately most of my old engines currently look like yours did, and my 3525 not even you could save :(

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 16:20:48 »
:-[ You work wonders Bill! :wow: :wow:
Unfortunately most of my old engines currently look like yours did, and my 3525 not even you could save :(

Thank you flatcat! Don't underestimate your 3525 ladder truck ! I've accumulated enough parts to rebuild several of them! If overseas shipping wasn't so expensive, you could send them to me, & I could refurbish them for you close to the quality of my 3526 fire engines :yup:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 16:29:37 »
Amazing Bill! I think the seller meant 'Good and used!'. Do you wet sand, dry sand or use a liquid abrasive? Your work never ceases to amaze me!  :clap: :)9

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 16:37:02 »
Thank you flatcat! Don't underestimate your 3525 ladder truck ! I've accumulated enough parts to rebuild several of them! If overseas shipping wasn't so expensive, you could send them to me, & I could refurbish them for you close to the quality of my 3526 fire engines :yup:!

Now that you say it, the bodywork would probably be ok scrubbed and polished, but the winch has snapped of the front, the ladder has got a bit snapped off and everything that was grey has discoloured horribly so much that it would all need replacing. Were the 3525 and 3526 engines not available in the UK?, as I have never seen a 3526 in this country for sale or display, and my 3525 is one of only two I have ever seen as well in this country. I wonder if Gordon has either of these ??? I would so much love to get a 3526 if one ever came up for sale in the UK :crossed:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 17:04:52 »
Now that you say it, the bodywork would probably be ok scrubbed and polished, but the winch has snapped of the front, the ladder has got a bit snapped off and everything that was grey has discoloured horribly so much that it would all need replacing. Were the 3525 and 3526 engines not available in the UK?, as I have never seen a 3526 in this country for sale or display, and my 3525 is one of only two I have ever seen as well in this country. I wonder if Gordon has either of these ??? I would so much love to get a 3526 if one ever came up for sale in the UK :crossed:

I would be able to do a complete refurbish job on the ladder, winch, body, & attempt to H2O2 bleach the grey parts for a month or 2, with a back up plan if that didn't work on your 3525 ladder truck complete with repo decals. The 3525 & 3526 were more popular in the European market, but to find one even 75% complete & in 8.5 EUC is a miracle!  If you are serious about buying a 3526, I'll keep an eye out for one from my sources.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 17:34:51 »
Bill how would you classify this 3781 I got a few days ago??

The color is a bit off, the winch is fine, as is the ladder, and its whole system....theres is only a considerable amount of dust...Nice to know how to disassemble the whole think so that i can get it cleaned ;) :)9

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 20:54:50 »

I had each for some time, in fact two of each.  One of the 3526s was pretty well complete an I passed on to a friend in Australia who is a keen Playmobil fire and rescue fan and a fireman.  I now have a box with a fair number of chassis and body bits from both that will shortly need a good home and are clean and shiny.

The 3781 ladder will fit the 3525 and may be still available from DS.  The ladder from the 3879 and 3182 will do, too.  You can see my refurbished 3781 here:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2032.0

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 20:55:48 »
You could set up a refurb shop for Playmobil, Bill.  You could make a fortune. 
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 20:57:38 »
Bill how would you classify this 3781 I got a few days ago??

The color is a bit off, the winch is fine, as is the ladder, and its whole system....theres is only a considerable amount of dust...Nice to know how to disassemble the whole think so that i can get it cleaned ;) :)9

They're great, but loney fire trucks! They only match themselves with no other series to even come close to that day glow orange. From seeing your pictures I would rate your truck a 3 to 3.5 depending on visual inspection of 1. tire wear 2.decals being ripped or torn with proper location or improperly positioned (straight & even) 3. If there is any plastic discoloration/fading 4. Completeness of accessories, figures, equipment, etc. 5. Looseness of components such as black ladder elevation support, 4 grey stabilizer supports, etc.

To disassemble the whole truck, start by pulling the wheels & axles from the chassis. When you put pressure on the axles the black locks will pop out releasing the entire axles. Do this procedure to all 3 assemblies. Next remove the 4 grey stabilizers from the chassis by pulling  them into their "in use" position & giving each a quick jerk to release them from their storage slots. Next slide the 2 grey lower compartment drawers all of the way out to their open position, & get a small flat head type screw driver with masking tape wrapped around the flat bottom so you can slide the screw driver in between the white chassis, & the grey drawer locking tab. Pull on the drawers to release them from the chassis while the small screw driver is in between the chassis & lock slide. Next get a wooden clothes hanging pin, the kind with a spring in the middle & separate it then use it to push the fingers for the ladder turntable base toward the middle of the chassis above where the 2 rear dual tandam axles were located. You should feel the fingers unlock the turn table, then push the assembly clearing the fingers from their locking slots. Next remove the cable winch from its storage compartment by using  one half of the clothes pin to push the locking tab up to slide it out of its compartment similtaneously. Next disable the rear cab locking tabs located inside where you just removed the lower grey storage drawers. Push the tabs toward the out side edge of the chassis. Once they are unlocked through the chassis approx. 1/2 inch, then go to the very front bottom of the chassis on either side of the cable winch mount housing & there should be a LH & RH black interior locking tab. You need to use the small screw driver again & gently pry each tab toward the front of the chassis releasing the entire cab from the chassis. I recommend also using large wooden wedge door shims to keep the components from relocking into their original position until the entire disassembly is complete. Let me know if this helps or you need additional assistance.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 21:19:35 by Bill Blackhurst »