Author Topic: WINTER OLYMPICS  (Read 7616 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
WINTER OLYMPICS
« on: February 20, 2010, 21:55:30 »

2010 - THE WINTER OLYMPICS - VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA

As everyone probably knows, the Winter Olympics are only held once every four years.

So where's Playmobil?

Are Geobra's marketing people absolutely daft?

Take a look, and then ask yourself why any company (with their product already available) would NOT want to sell it and make money? Especially, when they have said over and over again that they want to be in the Canadian and American toy markets ?

I may be wrong ... but, it seems like insanity to me ...  8}

see attachment for available Winter Olympics Playmobil sets

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Re: WINTER OLYMPICS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 22:08:45 »
I quite agree with you Richard - they had a ready market there.
I did notice that on ebay uk for a week or two before the Olympics started, anything connected with winter sports seemed to be getting higher bids than usual.  :hmm:

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 22:10:15 »
Yes where is Playmobil?!?!?! :hmm:
I have only been watching parts of the olympics... (to be honest, sports boar me...)
I would rather make my own Olympics display and show it too my family who are all huge olympic fans.
At least it would connect my playmobil to them someway...
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 00:34:32 »
I have given up trying to understand their methods! They hired a marketing firm to promote sales increases in the USA, & Canada, but when they could break out their retired molds, & do some custom country team sets, they just miss out on the entire thing  :(!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:05:49 »

I quite agree - they had a ready market there.

Yes where is Playmobil?!?!?! :hmm:

I have given up trying to understand their methods! They hired a marketing firm to promote sales increases in the USA, & Canada, but when they could break out their retired molds, & do some custom country team sets, they just miss out on the entire thing  :( !

Thanks for your comments, Elaine, WoT and Bill!

Let's hope that Playmobil's CEO is reading this topic. And, let's hope that Geobra's major decision makers quickly realize how inept their marketing people really are.

The 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver are not a surprise. Good grief ... they had FOUR years to get ready for it!

Hudson's Bay Company is the premier player in Vancouver for Winter Olympics related gifts, mementos, keepsakes, souvenirs, etc. They have had coverage on CNN, Oprah and the major networks internationally during the Winter Olympics. And, the Hudson's Bay Company is no stranger to Playmobil. They stocked Playmobil in their Victoria store on Vancouver Island after they moved into Eaton's Centre.

If Geobra can make an exclusive Victorian truck (4083) for Karstadt, they could have just as easily made an exclusive Winter Olympics snowboarder for the Hudson's Bay Company.

The more I think about it, the more frustrated and the more angry I get!

How could such a fantastic opportunity have just slipped through their fingers? Who was asleep? ...  >:(

I'm really sorry that I didn't write an email to Zirndorf four years ago. But, I wonder if they would have even read it? And, if they did read it, wonder if they'd have just passed it on to their brilliant marketing department ...  :P

All the best,
Richard

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:04:09 »
richard
you forgot the mounties, standing at attention below the flags during the awards ceremonies.  plus, they could have made the awards podiums
kaethe

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:10:28 »
They already have the award podium mold from the bike and racecar sets.

They've been doing the sets related to the World Cup so it shouldn't bee too much of a stretch for them. I bet the halfpipe in the recent bike series could be done in white for a snowboard set.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 03:45:39 »
You're quite right Richard, as you say the sets and all the sporting paraphernalia are already there, and they had four years warning. I wonder if the 2012 Summer Olympics will equally take them by surprise (hint: the answer is PROBABLY).

Oddly they did manage to take note of the UEFA World Cup, maybe because Germany take part. Wait... Germany take part in the Winter Olympics too!  ::)

Any of us would love the job of Playmobil's Marketing Director, and could do a better job in our sleep, because whomever they currently employ is frankly not cutting the mustard.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 03:59:05 »

you forgot the mounties, standing at attention below the flags during the awards ceremonies.  plus, they could have made the awards podiums

I would never forget the "Mounties", Kaethe ...  :klickygrin:
(bottom row, second from left) ... ;)

They already have the award podium mold from the bike and racecar sets.

They've been doing the sets related to the World Cup so it shouldn't been too much of a stretch for them. I bet the halfpipe in the recent bike series could be done in white for a snowboard set.

Kaethe and Tim, I think that you're both probably correct about how easy it would have been to use the existing podiums. And, Tim, using the accessories from the "World Cup" doesn't seem like it would have been (as you said) much of a stretch at all!

I'm about to join Bill in giving up trying to make any sense out of Geobra's direction.
I just don't understand what's wrong with Geobra's marketing people ...  8}

You're quite right Richard, as you say the sets and all the sporting paraphernalia are already there, and they had four years warning. I wonder if the 2012 Summer Olympics will equally take them by surprise (hint: the answer is PROBABLY).

Oddly they did manage to take note of the UEFA World Cup, maybe because Germany take part. Wait... Germany take part in the Winter Olympics too!
  ::)

Any of us would love the job of Playmobil's Marketing Director, and could do a better job in our sleep, because whomever they currently employ is frankly not cutting the mustard.

AMEN, Martin! You are spot on my friend!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 04:16:02 »
I think they may have a toboggan and rider coming out in May to capitalize on the Olympics!  :lol: :lol: