Author Topic: Water in scenes  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Feather

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • klicky...klitty... kitty!
Water in scenes
« on: January 28, 2010, 23:59:51 »
Hi everyone! :)

I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place or not, because my question isn't really about playmobil. Rather, it is about landscape and such for klicky stories, scenes and pictures.

I was wondering if anyone out there has ideas on how to make "water". Besides what is found in playmo sets, what would you use to make water surfaces such as creeks, rivers, lake, waterfalls, ocean view...

Currently, I am using "grass carpet" sold in hobby store for train collectors as my "ground" for playmo scenes. As time goes (and photo ideas multiply), I realize I absolutely need to find a way to display water surfaces.

Hope you guys can help and give some ideas. :)

Feather

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Water in scenes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 00:19:25 »
I'm experimenting with clear Plexiglas cut into large patterns overlaying different colors of blue bulk fabric material underneath. The Plexiglas can be scored with sandpaper to cause an opaque view. Just some ideas being currently developed.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:33 »
I got a blue cloth to act as water, but left it in London. I'll be getting more modelling stuff when I have more room.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:00:39 »
Hi Feather

I have been looking into model building water. It looks easy but is quite permanent. I have bought water sheets from a company called Lemax and I was not happy with the look. They have great pebble and brick mats but the water was not good   

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT067_making-water_Geraths/tnt067.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazBiXnUYjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVZVQdETes&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:46:57 by Rasputin »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:21:20 »
We have a chain called TAP Plastics where you can buy different types of plastic sheets in varying thickness, smooth or rippled which can be painted on the reverse side or used as an overlay. The store sells buckets, fiberglas cloth, makes acrylic boxes, signs, etc. so they are not a hobby shop but have a lot of useful material, look up stores under 'Plastic'.

Gepetto

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 14:44:44 »
Hi Feather!   :wave:

For play (like with children, if you actually permit them to have access to your Playmobil  :hmm:  :lol:) we always used a piece of fabric which is some unknown synthetic blend of a slightly stretchy type in a nice blue color.  You can lay it flat on the floor and any wrinkles or bumps add to the "effect" of a watery surface. 

Another nice effect is to use multiple layers of plastic cling wrap - the kind you would put leftovers in.  Some brands come in colors, including blue.  The pieces can be laid out on a flat surface and stacked on top of each other with as little or as much wrinkling or smoothness as you wish and as many layers as you wish.  Then you can cut out the shapes you need, such as for a meandering stream or a pond or lake.  It can look surprisingly good.  There was a wonderful example of this method posted somewhere - I haven't been able to find it yet - maybe someone else remembers it?  Someone had used the cling wrap method to create the ocean surface with a fantastic underwater scene below.   ???

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 14:57:39 »
I found it!  It was from about a year ago and posted by townklicky:  Photos of ocean scene

In this display, Adrian also painted and glued the sheets - gluing was probably necessary since he was supporting a ship and other elements on the ocean surface.   :) 
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 17:53:34 »
You can buy blue plastic sheets for HO/OO rail layouts which are quite effective.  I'm afraid I've forgotten the name, but I think they were made by Faller.  They are in store now so I can't check.  They were about 24 inches by 10 inches (I think).

Here's an example:

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 22:46:58 »
You can buy blue plastic sheets for HO/OO rail layouts which are quite effective.  I'm afraid I've forgotten the name, but I think they were made by Faller.  They are in store now so I can't check.  They were about 24 inches by 10 inches (I think).
Here's an example:

They are very good for small areas, but if you need a larger scale it can get very expensive  :o! I've seen them in model railroad stores for $9.96 per piece 12" x 12".
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Feather

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • klicky...klitty... kitty!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 01:22:22 »
Wow!! Thank you for all of your wonderful ideas! This is going to be really fun to test. :D I'm gonna start with the cheapest and readily available method: plastic wrap!
Perfect project for my 4-day weekend coming up next week. Yay! :) 

Thanks again!!! Keep the ideas coming if you have more...

Feather