Author Topic: New fire engine for Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade  (Read 7096 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
New fire engine for Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade
« on: August 22, 2009, 21:31:47 »
Here's a new 3880 based custom using the modern ladder from the 3881 set and a new storage system for equipment.  The key to using the different ladder was the discovery of a Playmobil part from the 4096 German mega set thanks to Bill Blackhurst.  This part replaces the roof monitor with a swivel which firmly holds the modern style ladder in place.

The new equipment storage system uses all Playmobil parts except for two ABS I-beams which form the guides for the slide out equipment tray.  I've made slide out systems before, but it is the simplicity and flexibility of this new one which makes it especially useful.  The idea for it came to me afte coming across a yellow crate which I didn't recognise but which turned out to be part number 30 23 1010. I discovered that if the end handles were removed from this, it would fit into the 3880 side compartments width ways.  Further playing about showed that if one end handle was taken off, two of the crates would fit inside the upturned lid (30 22 9320) of the grey crate.

So to some pictures.  First general views of the finished vehicle.  Notice the new livery of white grille and light cover, an idea I adopted from Bill Blackhurst.  Not only does it look very smart but it also is very close to the colour scheme of Cleveland Fire Brigade, a colour scheme I've always thought very attractive.  (Here's a link: http://www.freefoto.com/preview/?ffid=28-02-33)

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: New fire engine for Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 21:35:39 »
Now the new storage system in use.  First, the arrangement I prefer, then alternative patterns.

On the right side, three crates are stored, from the bottom up holding small gear (hand tools basically) spare BA (breathing apparatus cylinders) and, topmost, hose connectors and branches.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 21:43:12 »
The final photo for the right side layout, the small gear.

On the left side, I've chosen not to use the crate system but to have a tool box (containing a large and small torch and a loud hailer) and a petrol can for the portable pump.  With this arrangement there is also room on the slide out for a fire extinguisher but the roller shutter on the left side isn't high enough to accommodate this.  The one on the right will, but then there is only room for two crates on the left.  However, I'm going to experiment with cutting the left roller shutter so it will roll up further to see if this will give the extra room, either for the fire extinguisher or three crates.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 21:51:22 »
To end with, a view of the equipment carried in the rear compartment (fire extinguisher, portable pump, warning triangle, ground monitor, standpipe and hose branch) and two views of the equipment carried on the roof.  The shorter, two piece ladder is a custom and the yellow cans contain foam concentrate.  This view also clearly shows the ladder swivel from the mega 4096 set.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 22:19:00 »
Very nice and detailed pictures  :wow: :wow: !!!

Karim :)
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 00:48:30 »
I wish my work trucks were this organized and equipped . Great job Gordon . Thanks for sharing .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 02:43:49 »
Bravo Gordon,Bravo! Excellent custom  :wow:! I'm glad to see you've been able to incorporate some of my ideas in to your designs making me happy that I'm actually appreciated  :lol:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:18 »
Thank you, Karim, Ras and Bill, your comments are much appreciated, as ever.

With the original photos I took some of the custom ladder and the original, but I missed the fact that the camera had focused between the two ladders, so here are some taken indoors this morning.

The custom ladder, on the left in the first picture, is only slightly longer than one length of the original (on the right)right, but that bit extra length is useful for access and, more important, the custom ladder is much easier when it comes to manoeuvring it in narrow streets.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 10:10:34 »
I hinted there were alternative ways of organising the storage so here are two of them.

Because the left hand roller shutter is lower when open than the right hand one, it's only possible to get two crates in on the left side. However, a small modification to the shutter may remedy this. I plan to see if this is the case shortly.

On the right hand side, the alternative allows the fire extinguisher to be added.

A third option is to have three crates on the right and three on the left side (not shown).

Thank you for taking the time to look through this topic.  If there is an interest I will post some photos in the How To forum on what is involved in altering the crate and setting up the slide out system.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 14:54:26 »
I hinted there were alternative ways of organising the storage so here are two of them.

Because the left hand roller shutter is lower when open than the right hand one, it's only possible to get two crates in on the left side. However, a small modification to the shutter may remedy this. I plan to see if this is the case shortly.

On the right hand side, the alternative allows the fire extinguisher to be added.

A third option is to have three crates on the right and three on the left side (not shown).

Thank you for taking the time to look through this topic.  If there is an interest I will post some photos in the How To forum on what is involved in altering the crate and setting up the slide out system.

To shorten the left roller shutter door by I believe 2 sections or 3 at the most, will definitely help as I did this particular modification to my custom rescue trucks because of the center telelight pole interference! It is a simple change by cutting the sections apart at the top of the door with sharp scissors, & test fitting the doors in between cuttings to make sure of there is not too much space causing a severe gap between the door, & top compartment opening edge. I am interested in this modification procedure that may help in my custom jack storage dilemma!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 15:04:26 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!