Author Topic: Massive lot of castle pieces on sale on ebay!  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Janice

• Playmo Enthusiast
Massive lot of castle pieces on sale on ebay!
« on: May 28, 2009, 18:42:49 »
 :(o): I'm surprised that no one has commented on the latest big eBay sale of "Massive lot Playmobil castle Pieces" 370205029666.  I personally am so sorry to see him sell his collection in this manner.  Someone with that much of the old steck castle should have at least given more of us a chance to bid on it.  He would have made a LOT MORE MONEY...probably thousands if he had broken up the sets and sold them in a manner that would have allowed more of us to bid.  I can't pick up in New York but I would have paid a pretty price for some of the things he had.  I also would not have wanted the whole kit and caboodle!!! 

The person has a very good wit about playmobil collecting.  His writing made me think about myself a little more....kind of scary!! >:D
I'm also surprised that it was such a short time period for his sale.  He really shorted himself in my opinion.  What do you think?
Janice

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: Massive lot of castle pieces on sale on ebay!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 21:58:30 »
Like you I think the seller would have made tons more money by breaking the collection up into separate buildings plus whatever's left over, and making a bit more effort. Sounds more like they've got a bit mental over their collection, and decided to get rid of the lot in one go. Hope they don't regret it later.

With almost everything still in storage bins, it's almost impossible to work out what's actually there and make a reasonable estimate on value.

In the UK a 3666 castle complete set currently fetches around £70-75, though I've seen as low as £50 and as high as £110 depending on presentation of the auction.  If this guy could build six 3666 castles outright and selle them separately, he'd get more for them than the whole caboodle looks like going for now.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 22:08:20 »
I mentioned this auction to Indianna in another thread this past weekend! We were laughing about she was about a days drive away to conform to the pick up only auction rule! She was trying to resist the temptation to buy the lot, & what she could do about dividing it up!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 00:49:01 »
Hi everybody -

I did manage to resist this auction, despite all of Bill's subliminal urgings!   :lol:

Well, it went for $821.00 - quite a bargain, really, for all that stuff.  I agree with Janice that its a shame not to take the time to sell it in smaller lots with a shipping option- I think it could have brought at least 5 times that price.  I was tempted to bid on it just because I did suspect that it would go for significantly less than the actual value but ultimately I just couldn't justify the expense -  especially since I am trying to REDUCE the amount of Playmobil that I have.   ::) 

I also agree with Janice that the write-up accompanying the auction was very charming -  I wonder if this person was ever on one of the Playmo forums?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:11:57 by Bill Blackhurst »
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:19:14 »
12 bids split between four bidders, and the winner only bid once.

I guess if the seller's plan was to shift the lot in on e go it worked, but for a fraction of what they could have realised.

Those double arches would work well for the Roman theme.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:55:07 »
12 bids split between four bidders, and the winner only bid once.
I guess if the seller's plan was to shift the lot in on e go it worked, but for a fraction of what they could have realised.
Those double arches would work well for the Roman theme.

I think this seller knew what the lot was worth from the way he mentioned many of the rare items he so painstakingly added over the years to this collection! The consignment agency should have done a better job of selling this collection, possibly putting a reserve price on the auction, & if it didn't sell for the wanted price for the lot, break the multiple items down into the rare sets that could be shown as the much sought after 3666, & 3667 castles! And as another option, they could have sold the huge lot into groups of multiple parts at a time with shipping options available! This lot should have sold for well over $1200.00 in my opinion.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:11:08 »
Hi everybody -
I did manage to resist this auction, despite all of Bill's subliminal urgings!   :lol:
Well, it went for $821.00 - quite a bargain, really, for all that stuff.  I agree with Janice that its a shame not to take the time to sell it in smaller lots with a shipping option- I think it could have brought at least 5 times that price.  I was tempted to bid on it just because I did suspect that it would go for significantly less than the actual value but ultimately I just couldn't justify the expense -  especially since I am trying to REDUCE the amount of Playmobil that I have.   ::) 
I also agree with Janice that the write-up accompanying the auction was very charming -  I wonder if this person was ever on one of the Playmo forums?

Indianna, what happened  :eh?:? I thought I'd put enough Juju on ya to over power your resistance, my bad  :lol:!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 15:45:50 »

Indianna, what happened  :eh?:? I thought I'd put enough Juju on ya to over power your resistance, my bad  :lol:!

It was an epic struggle between  >:D and  0) but common sense prevailed.  Even though traveling to upstate New York would have been manageable it's still a whole day of driving - if the pick-up point had been a 45 mile roundtrip away instead of 450 we might have had a different outcome.   ;)

. . . 12 bids split between four bidders, and the winner only bid once. . .

Plus, the winning bid was put in 20 minutes before the end of the auction!  I had expected more of a bidding war in the final seconds.   :eh?:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 00:53:52 »
If someone was near the seller this would have been a huge bargain.  I agree that he should have broken this up into a bunch of smaller lots.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 23:50:09 »
this auction was a bargain... i think with the pictures of the add ons is half of the total cost opf the auction, but is a shame, no shipping only pick up....

as everybody said before i should have broke the auction in few ones...

that only makes me feel sad,  steck is the most beloved part of playmobil to me and i found all his explanation with so much sense, even when he talks about crazy a weird stuff like the 4-female conector... that the steck lover want so much...

i could hasve finish my city by far with his oieces, but i will have to comform with what i got, and hopefully one day a guy from san diego sell his steck collection with pick up avalible only (is nice to dream)