Author Topic: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!  (Read 14556 times)

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
Re: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 04:55:53 »
I have to respectfully disagree with some members on this board.  I think Playmobil is grossly underestimating the devotion and number of adult collectors.  While their numbers may not be huge, I bet they spend a fair amount of money on items.  I have a hard time believing parents and children are buying Playmobil on ebay or through the parts department.

As far as independent toy stores, they've virtually disappeared from my area of the U.S.  Even in very affluent communities, they barely exist.  Most here buy cheap toys made in China from big box stores.  $105 plus sales tax for a big Playmobil set is a lot of money to families with children these days.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 06:09:45 »
disagreements create discussion and respectfull disagreements make wonderfull discussions  :love:

Anyway, when I said in my original post that the brick-and-mortar shops are holding their own, I should have added `where I live`. Here in the Netherlands, in the coastal region people still buy quality toys for the kids and rather large sets as well.

And I agree Justindo, that we collectors do buy a fair amount - I see that each time on my bankaccount  :-[ - question is though: is that a substantial amount against their regular sales? I just don't know. I do know that if it is then Geobra would be very foolish not to invest in the collectors.
But if we don't then it would commercially foolish to do so. Unless we're rather close to the break-even point.
But I just don't know. I bet that no one does.

But that's just my 0.02 worth.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 18:45:43 »

It gives me great "pain and consternation" to have to admit that Gordon might be correct ...  :wow:

I must say, Donmobil, your response made me think ... what's the difference between Lego and Playmobil?
Somehow Lego seems to be willing to produce specifically for the fan and Geobra seems to be unwilling to do so ... why?
Perhaps there are more Lego-fans as there are Playmoholics?
Since there seems to be much more official Lego-events as there are Playmo-events I guess that's the case and therefore the Lego-fans produce much more income to Lego as the Playmoholics do to Geobra. But that's just a guess. A wild guess.
Besides, on the German DS-site there seems to be a section to do so- even though it isn't complete:

http://www.playmobil.de/on/demandware.store/Sites-DE-Site/de_DE/Search-Show?cgid=SPARE_PARTS

Perhaps they are moving towards us, somehow. Who knows. I sure hope so.

Bogro

Donmobil and Bogro seem to have provided us with some very good thoughts about the difference between Playmobil and Lego. However, Gordon probably hit the nail on the head when he said, "Playmobil is NOT a construction toy!"

Because Lego is a construction toy, it might be safe to say that most Lego fans enjoy building things out of Lego. Maybe at Lego conventions, Lego fans share their various creations that they've made using their Lego bricks. This would no doubt be great advertising for Lego, because that's how Lego was designed to be used.

What would Playmobil fans do at a Playmobil convention? Woud they show all the various sets that they have hoarded over the years? Would they show their "customized" Playmobil? Would they set up gigantic scenes that no one can afford? Is this good advertising for Playmobil?

Hmmm ... If the above descriptions are even close to the truth, it might be easy to see why Lego seems to be more interested in their fans.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 21:06:14 »

It gives me great "pain and consternation" to have to admit that Gordon might be correct ...  :wow:

When Richard agrees with me, though he's right to do so, it always worries me!  But the construction aspect of Lego is the key.  If you're wanting to build a replica of, say, your own town, then you will want to buy thousands of red bricks and it is profitable for someone to set up the structure to sell you them.  That's what Lego does.  But though you get the occasional case of someone wanting to buy thousands of Playmobil figures, they're the exception and exceptions are rarely profitable.

What would Playmobil fans do at a Playmobil convention? Would they show their "customized" Playmobil? Would they set up gigantic scenes that no one can afford? Is this good advertising for Playmobil?

Yes and Yes.  I've just been looking at the latest German convention photos on klickywelt, and that's exactly what they do.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 21:34:19 »

Donmobil and Bogro seem to have provided us with some very good thoughts about the difference between Playmobil and Lego. However, Gordon probably hit the nail on the head when he said, "Playmobil is NOT a construction toy!" 

:o   Playmobil is a construction toy, but it is not merely a construction toy. 

Because Lego is a construction toy, it might be safe to say that most Lego fans enjoy building things out of Lego. Maybe at Lego conventions, Lego fans share their various creations that they've made using their Lego bricks. This would no doubt be great advertising for Lego, because that's how Lego was designed to be used.

What would Playmobil fans do at a Playmobil convention? Woud they show all the various sets that they have hoarded over the years? Would they show their "customized" Playmobil? Would they set up gigantic scenes that no one can afford? Is this good advertising for Playmobil?

The LEGO people do exactly the same!  But one example:

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Arizzo

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 01:46:07 »

well, I suggest to have a look at the pics of the Wolfsburg Convention that took place just the weekend before ...

lots of hoarded sets :yup: - lots of customized playmobil :D - lots of "gigantic" scenes 8} (as well as some small ones) - and lots of good advertising for playmobil (they even sent some official visitors - for the very first time)

btw:
like Indianna already mentioned: playmobil IS a construction toy - but it is also a play-toy - there have been lots of "constructions" at the WOB Convention ... though the aspect of "real" customizing might be more suitable for adults then for kids
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:51:23 by Arizzo »
Cheers
Arizzo

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. hehehe

Well I haven't written much lately, you say?
So what! Neither has Shakespeare!

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:33 »
 [/quote] Donmobil and Bogro seem to have provided us with some very good thoughts about the difference between Playmobil and Lego. However, Gordon probably hit the nail on the head when he said, "Playmobil is NOT a construction toy!"

What would Playmobil fans do at a Playmobil convention? Woud they show all the various sets that they have hoarded over the years? Would they show their "customized" Playmobil? Would they set up gigantic scenes that no one can afford? Is this good advertising for Playmobil?[/quote]

This is what we do at the LEGO cons.  It is good to see sets one was thinking about buying but could not decide.  To see the many custom sets as at Wolfsburg really sparks the mind and encourages people to buy multiple sets of Playmobil to do the large dioramas or games.  Sometimes the biggest part of the con is to meet the people who make the products we love to collect and play with.  I also find that going to one of these and meeting others who like the same things, whether it be LEGO or Playmobil is super.  There are quite a few here on the list I would like to meet. 

Good advertizement, of course it is.  When the public is let in on Saturday and Sunday, they are amazed at what is out there or what can be done.  I have seen this at the Train shows our club attends.  Our last train layout was 14' x 22.5', 4' to 5' deep in a large 'u' shape.  It is like the pic's I have seen from Wolfsburg.  Maybe a couple of events by Playmobil in the US would allow the public to be aware of Playmobil.  But trust me, cons are worth it.

-- Donmobil

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:54 »
I would like to notice that THE LEGO COMPANY wasn't always as flexible as it is now. It is largely due to the fact that they where losing money in the early 2000 that they reformed a bit. One man is  especially to thank for the openness of TLC view his story here :
http://blip.tv/file/697965

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 19:55:48 »
I agree, I have met Jake in the past when he worked for LEGO, he came to many of the cons.  He is also a trainhead, really envolved with LEGO trains.

-- Donmobil

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 02:57:27 »
Very interesting video, thank you for sharing this with us.

Gepetto