Author Topic: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!  (Read 14561 times)

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Super Nice DS service in the UK!!!! i Lovin it!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:10 »
... We may need to have another poll asking how many peoples financial situation will allow them to purchase at least $100.00 or more in Playmobil this year for their children alone, not themselves? ...

Surely, that would mean that the impact of us collectors on Geobra would deminsish and would mean that we're as a lot are even less interesting to them.
Besides, I see a big difference between OEM producing spare parts for old models and Geobra doing so: the amount of money involved! I mean - spending €15,- on a car parts doesn't seem unreasonable to me; €15,- on a Geobra collar does. To make up the difference Geobra would have to sell quite a lot to make ends really meet.

And consider this: I see "Parkfence" sets go for over $200,-; but how many are really being sold for that price? I guess less then 20 a year? And if Geobra would re-release the set could they sell it to us for $100,-? I doubt it.
If the would re-release it for, let's say $50,- a set, would they sell enough to make a return (not even mentioning a profit)? I doubt that as well. But then again; I am definitly NOT an expert.

And then there's this as well: yes, they do still have the old moulds; but moulds only last a certain amount of uses and then they have to be remade. For that, they use master-moulds, which also last a certain amount of uses then they have to be re-made. This alone has a price tag of over € 200,000.- . I doubt they would see a return on that for items produced solely for the collectors ...

All in all, I doubt there's really a profit for Geobra in the collectorsmarket ...
I do hope though they will provide some sort of Fanclub as I do believe we can provide something else then pure profit for the company: a fanbase.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Super Nice DS service in the UK!!!! i Lovin it!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 13:27:21 »
Surely, that would mean that the impact of us collectors on Geobra would deminsish and would mean that we're as a lot are even less interesting to them.
Besides, I see a big difference between OEM producing spare parts for old models and Geobra doing so: the amount of money involved! I mean - spending €15,- on a car parts doesn't seem unreasonable to me; €15,- on a Geobra collar does. To make up the difference Geobra would have to sell quite a lot to make ends really meet.
And consider this: I see "Parkfence" sets go for over $200,-; but how many are really being sold for that price? I guess less then 20 a year? And if Geobra would re-release the set could they sell it to us for $100,-? I doubt it.
If the would re-release it for, let's say $50,- a set, would they sell enough to make a return (not even mentioning a profit)? I doubt that as well. But then again; I am definitly NOT an expert.
And then there's this as well: yes, they do still have the old moulds; but moulds only last a certain amount of uses and then they have to be remade. For that, they use master-moulds, which also last a certain amount of uses then they have to be re-made. This alone has a price tag of over € 200,000.- . I doubt they would see a return on that for items produced solely for the collectors ...
All in all, I doubt there's really a profit for Geobra in the collectorsmarket ...
I do hope though they will provide some sort of Fanclub as I do believe we can provide something else then pure profit for the company: a fanbase.
Bogro

I will finally have to agree with you. It was just an idea, but since the support of an idea is not popular, Playmobil will continue to do as they are already in the process of doing, & maybe they will survive despite the decrease of product sales. I know from my own personal present financial situation, that my collecting will decrease significantly, & eventually will totally stop. Maybe a new wave of collectors will continue to support Playmobil, if not, they may disappear in the dust of financial ruin that is destroying so many other corporations, & believe me when I say no one is immune to this current problem. You may find you have some money if you're lucky, & when you go to your favorite brick & mortar toy shop you find them having a going out of business sale! Eventually, its my opinion that the entire Playmobil product line will only be found on their on line website with only a few independent vender's here. Then the out of sight out of mind issue takes effect, & they disappear altogether. I personally have seen approximately 8 chain, & independent toy stores disappear from my area within the 11 years of collecting Playmobil. It is not considered a popular toy in this country, but there is a following of die hard customers still living here, but our sources will continue to disappear in time. Off the top of my head, here are the names of some of the vender's that quit; Salmagundy Toy Shop, Hammond's x3, Zanie Brainie, The Learning Toy Store, Duck Duck Goose, The Toy Jungle, The Toy Doll shop, or the store still exists, but no longer carries the Playmobil line in my area, not to mention on line toy distributors like ToyMine. If a toy store still has the Playmobil line usually their prices are so high you can't bring yourself to purchase anything, because you are educated about what items prices should actually be! For example one of the few local toy stores here has the 3181 fire department SUV for $55.00, what the......are they thinking!? This is why Playmobil has started a bubble pack design, & made in China line for TRU, Target, Kmart, etc., because they know that their market vender's supplying the entire Playmobil themes are rapidly shrinking, & with their franchise rules, which limits existing independent vender's from being competitive price wise! The thoughts I have conveyed on this topic thread are only my own, & from the comments of others will only be a dream, but remember, "IT'S ONLY A TOY" what the hell were we thinking! I wish to all only the very best....Playmbil!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 13:47:17 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 13:07:06 »
I do see your point, Bill.
However, the story I see here is rather different. As far as I can tell, the brick and mortar toyshops seem to hold their own and aren't disappearing. Most of them do carry Playmobil; even if they don't have everything. Besides that; the "traditional" toyshop are still abundant here. Even the larger villages have one; cities have even more.
A number of store-chains carry the product as well.
As for on-line stores: the number of them seems to be increasing that carry partially, mainly or even only Playmobil.

This is all because Playmobil is one of the main brands of toys here ...

What I am trying to say: it isn't all gloom. Their base is still solid, even though they don't seem to get a grip on the USA...

Bogro

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:55:04 »
The Adult Fans of LEGO (AFOL's) here in the US ran into this problem with its premise that "we make toys for kids".  I have been attending LEGO conventions put on by fans/collectors since 2003.  And I am going to another one in June.  There are now 4 conventions per year here in the US.

Going to these events and talking to the LEGO reps who come over from Denmark to give us a 'heads up' on LEGO and get feedback is remarkable.  As a result of these 'talks' they still advertize that they make LEGO for kids.  BUT, they also have given us Pick-a-Brick where bins of elements are available for the custom builder.  They also have a section at LEGO.com where we can buy the Brick in bulk.

So they get us in different areas, the sets and parts.  As was pointed out to them, when I take 'Junior' into the store to buy LEGO sets, how do they know if the set is for him or me.  We havn't got everything we want, but the company has made an effort for the collector/customizer.

This is not intended to push LEGO above Playmobil, but just to point out that there is one company willing to meet the adult collector - builder.

There are three to 400 hundred participants at each of these cons.  which are held in Chicago, Oregon, California, and Washington, D.C. and another group is trying to start a 5th con in Ohio.

I would love to attend a Playmobil con here in the US.

The US DS here needs to be updated.  There should be a menu to see and order parts online.  This way one could see what parts are there, the price, number in stock and order without spending time asking for parts and waiting for the rep to look up each part and then let you know they are out and then go to the next item on your list and repeat this all over.  This system would spark more business and save Playmobil costly phone time.  The online store should carry both sets and parts.  I would be willing to bet that there are parts at the different Ds's that are setting in bins gathering dust because nobody knows about about and dosen't think to order.

Well, anyway that is my 2¢ worth.

-- Donmobil

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 07:30:05 »
I must say, Donmobil, your response made me think ... what's the difference between Lego and Playmobil?
Somehow Lego seems to be willing to produce specifically for the fan and Geobra seems to be unwilling to do so ... why?
Perhaps there are more Lego-fans as there are Playmoholics?
Since there seems to be much more official Lego-events as there are Playmo-events I guess that's the case and therefore the Lego-fans produce much more income to Lego as the Playmoholics do to Geobra. But that's just a guess. A wild guess.
Besides, on the German DS-site there seems to be a section to do so- even though it isn't complete:

http://www.playmobil.de/on/demandware.store/Sites-DE-Site/de_DE/Search-Show?cgid=SPARE_PARTS

Perhaps they are moving towards us, somehow. Who knows. I sure hope so.

Bogro

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:44:49 »
Maybe if Playmobil fans in Europe and the US wrote to Playmobil asking for an online parts buying system it might get them thinking.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:45 »
Lego fans are just way better organised the playmobil fans. For example each country has a LUG (a Lego User Group), larger countries often have two or more. The most influencial LUG have an Ambassedor with LEGO, who are elected each year. These ambassedors give sugestions and ideas to the people at TLC. The new train system came to life twith the help of adult fans.

These adult oriented sets are expensive but are always in the top 20 sellers on the Lego website.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 14:38:03 »
Lego fans are just way better organised the playmobil fans. For example each country has a LUG (a Lego User Group), larger countries often have two or more. The most influencial LUG have an Ambassedor with LEGO, who are elected each year. These ambassedors give sugestions and ideas to the people at TLC. The new train system came to life twith the help of adult fans.
These adult oriented sets are expensive but are always in the top 20 sellers on the Lego website.

mmm - this sounds to me as if there are many, many more adult Lego - fans as there are adult Playmobil-fans ...

I don't think a Playmobil User Group (PUG) would have enough members to warrant it....

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 17:14:34 »

. . . I don't think a Playmobil User Group (PUG) would have enough members to warrant it....

It's hard work being a "PUG"
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 17:41:38 »
It's hard work being a "PUG"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea', in many ways:

1. geobra isn't that flexible a company

2. it demands much more craftiness to ellaborate an (actually) interesting playmobil set ::) (to me, as I understand .. perhaps they shouldn't count this #2 item: I'm a writer ;D ; writers like people to make characters, rather than bricks with yellow faces :hmm: )

(Well, I AM a playmobil (huge) fan ... :P )
Gus
:blackhair: