Author Topic: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!  (Read 14917 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2009, 18:52:01 »

Yep.  That was me, alright.  Thanks for the advice about other sources.  I will continue the quest...

Ahhhh .... "The Quest" ...  ;D

Not too many things better that a good quest, KM ... ;)

So, go back, way back to the early days of the Playmobil System.

Almost every Steck medieval construction set included a beautiful brochure (see attachments). The brochure showed how the different Steck System sets could be combined to create new buildings an/or medieval villages and hamlets.

KM, if have not yet seen one of these brochures, my advice would be to never look at one until you have actually have acquired some of these Steck System sets. It would be too cruel to subject yourself to such wonder without your being able to have the sets in your possession. Not only that, it's a bit unseemly for a grown man like you to drool ... :lol:

see attachments 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 19:00:15 by Richard »

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2009, 19:04:04 »
Thanks for the sage advice, Richard, and for the attachments.

Such beauty.  Such elegance.  So many things to buy.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 19:48:49 »
Agh, but the inn was the real masterpiece I think.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 20:04:45 »
For some interesting mediaeval stuff, query "playmobil ritter" on eBay and then for location select European Union.  An example,  six chrome knights currently going for just over 3 euro (£2.65).

For buildings, try "playmobil fachwerk.  There's  bakery and a potter and more, but pricey.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 20:15:17 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2009, 20:27:42 »
For some interesting mediaeval stuff, query "playmobil ritter" on eBay and then for location select European Union.  An example,  six chrome knights currently going for just over 3 euro (£2.65).

For buildings, try "playmobil fachwerk.  There's  bakery and a potter and more, but pricey.

He tempts me!  He tempts me!  Get thee behind me, thou tempter!  I cannot live by bread and pottery alone...

Oh, what am I to do?  So many things to buy, but not enough money to buy them.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2009, 20:31:30 »
He tempts me!  He tempts me!  Get thee behind me, thou tempter!  I cannot live by bread and pottery alone...

Oh, what am I to do?  So many things to buy, but not enough money to buy them.

There's also a smithy and others.

Do you have a wife and children?  Sell them as slaves and use the money on eBay.  ;D

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2009, 22:35:04 »

Do you have a wife and children?  Sell them as slaves and use the money on eBay.  ;D

Don't listen to him, KM ... :no:

I heard of a Playmobil collector who did that very thing. The next day the buyer returned the collector's wife and demanded a refund. Can you imagine what life would be like for you if you got your wife back after you had sold her into slavery? ... :(o):

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2009, 23:07:59 »

Don't listen to him, KM ... :no:

I heard of a Playmobil collector who did that very thing. The next day the buyer returned the collector's wife and demanded a refund. Can you imagine what life would be like for you if you got your wife back after you had sold her into slavery? ... :(o):

That is a great story!  I'm going to have to file that in my memory for possible later use.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2009, 15:52:14 »
Coming back to the quality-question.

I think it all depends on how you define "quality". 
If you mean "production"-quality, then IMHO there isn't really much change, besides some sets produced in China.
In my experience only twice I had bought a set with a production error; once in the early eighties and once a year or so ago. So, in my own experience, there hasn't really been a change.

If it comes to the quality of themes, I guess that's a matter of taste. Fact is that lately the details on the klickies and items are increasing. But I am not sure that that is quality. I think you can just as easily make a point that too much detail is killing part of the playability.

Personally, I think that in general the production-quality is more or less the same as it always has been. Although some "bad apples" have been there as well. All the other points are more or less a question of taste. But then again; that's my own 0.02 cents worth ...

... As regards a "golden age of Playmobil", this will vary from collector to collector not so much on a basis of quality as on items offered and "nature" or "personality".  I know Bogro and many others would say a golden age was the early years of Playmobil with its extensive mediaeval range of buildings and figures. ...

I wouldn't dare saying that that was the golden age; but it definitly was my Golden age of Playmobil  ;D
But more because that was also the period I loved to play with it as a child and had many, many a happy adventure with them ... (a lot of them on the high seas as well  ;) )

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.