Author Topic: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!  (Read 14920 times)

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: Expanded DS customising parts system opinions!
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 23:20:16 »
Go to Collectobil and click on their 'catalog'.  There should be around 12 to 15 sets in their 'Old Houses' section.  Or go to PlaymobilDB and look up sets:

3440  Tailor's House
3441  Medieval Bakery
3442  Blacksmith
3444  City Guard Room
3455  Medieval Pottery
7409  Old House Extension Elements

There are more Houses, some with furniture some not, some even had klickies in the sets to go with the Townspeople set.  But well worth looking at.  There was also a couple of sets:

3292  Townspeople
3293  Farmers

and others like set 3567  Musician with Dancing Bear.

Sets like these made a town or city come to life.  and yes, I too started collecting Playmobil when most of these sets were discontinued or I was not aware of them.

-- Donmobil

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 02:40:15 »

Playmobil used to have sets with townspeople and furniture to occupy the houses??  You used to be able to easily assemble a Playmo Medieval town??

Yes!

Here's a picture from a 1978 Playmobil catalog, KM ...
see attachment

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 03:47:50 »
BEWARE!! If you go to Collectobil and look at those old sets it will break your heart and could eventually lead you to .....Ebay >:D (or so I have been told 0)).

Gepetto

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 06:07:03 »
BEWARE!! If you go to Collectobil and look at those old sets it will break your heart and could eventually lead you to .....Ebay >:D (or so I have been told 0)).

Gepetto

I am brought to tears.   :'(  These sets were wonderful!  You're right, my heart is broken!   :'(

How could Playmobil have discontinued these sets and not have replaced them with anything comparable?  I am sad.  Nowadays, we have fantasy knights and System-X castles (or castles that don't require much assembly at all!) and no peasants or townspeople!  I bought a couple of medieval people from Indianna's eBay auction a little while ago.  They are great!  I need more!  More!  More!
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 07:58:03 »
sigh ... those were they days ...  :'(
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2009, 18:54:44 »
sigh ... those were they days ...  :'(

Actually, this brings up a question I have had in the back of my mind as a new collector:  Has Playmobil gone down in quality over the years?  Why do you believe so?  Or why do you believe not?  Assuming it has (for the sake of argument), when was the Golden Age of Playmo?  Was the change gradual or sudden (perhaps with a change in management)?

I have been only collecting since December, so I have no point of reference, but I would like to hear from longtime collectors.

(Hm.  I'm taking this discussion off-topic.  Feel free to move this to a new topic if anyone feels it's appropriate.)
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 20:07:41 »
There have been changes in Playmobil quality, but I wouldn't say that in general the quality has gone down.  The most obvious change (I would say the only change that I've noticed) in it's construction has been in the last 8 years or so as a result of health and safety legislation banning an additive to plastic to make it pliable.  This change has, strangely enough, shown itself in a more pliable plastic and is especially noticeable in larger items such as vehicle bodies.  For example, the 3880 fire engine and the equipment vehicle in the 4082 THW set (see here http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2610.0share the same body but were made some 10 years apart.  To disassemble the 3880 needs screwdrivers to release the body from the chassis but the THW version, while still having the body and chassis securely fixed together, can be separated)  simply by manual pressure (although a fair amount of this).  Overall, though, the quality of the product ha stayed the same.

In other areas such as printing of detail, the quality of Playmobil has increased over the years as more and more sophisticated techniques of printing have been adopted by Playmobil allowing greater and finer detail. The uniforms of the THW personnel are a good example.  Playmobil quality has also improved in their ability to produce not just three but four and even five colour castings in a single operation.  They are the only company with this technology.

There have been some cases of poor quality, usually associated with Playmobil's brief flirtation with production in China.  I know, too, there have been cases of poor printing on some Roman figures and problems with cloaks staying on some figures (e.g. the nun), but I think these have probably been due to problems in developing new techniques and have not led to an overall fall in quality.

As regards a "golden age of Playmobil", this will vary from collector to collector not so much on a basis of quality as on items offered and "nature" or "personality".  I know Bogro and many others would say a golden age was the early years of Playmobil with its extensive mediaeval range of buildings and figures.  Others would also think of the early years as a golden age because Playmobil brought with it a new innocence, charm and imagination to plastic figures.  I would pick the years 1997 to about 2006 in the fire engine range, the 3880 having all the character of a fire engine and just enough detail to leave room for the imagination (and if you wished a bit of custom work) to add the rest.  The new fire engines are much more detailed but, for me, lack the character the 3880 has.  I think others may agree with me that the increasing detailing of Playmobil is a major change over the years, and maybe one which, though it has given greater and more accurate detail, has possibly taken something away in terms of charm and character.

Just a few thoughts.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 23:26:45 »
I will agree with you Gordon, on the fire engine work horse series being the 3880, & 5716 series! There was a lot of character built into them that ignited my obsession with Playmobil, but my experience with the early 3526 fire engines proves a time when the details were also good, but the toys themselves were very fragile, & even delicate. The 3880 series changed the fragile into a more durable reliable toy that earned its place in toy boxes around the world, and lived to be sent on to other assignments later! I'm a little reserved in regards to the new 4821 series fire engines due to appear in the future, because I will miss the roll up shutter doors of the old 3880, & 5716 series, even the 3879, & 3182 ladder trucks had those realistic doors! That option alone gave those fire trucks the realism that proved worthy of collector status. The new style only looks like they roll up, but they don't, a design that will be truly missed by collectors.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2009, 15:01:41 »
I am brought to tears.   :'(  These sets were wonderful!  You're right, my heart is broken!   :'(

How could Playmobil have discontinued these sets and not have replaced them with anything comparable?  I am sad.  Nowadays, we have fantasy knights and System-X castles (or castles that don't require much assembly at all!) and no peasants or townspeople!  I bought a couple of medieval people from Indianna's eBay auction a little while ago.  They are great!  I need more!  More!  More!

:wave:  Hi KM!  I wondered if that was you! 

I agree with you that the medieval sets are (were) wonderful.  Those are the ones that really got me going on Playmobil about 12 years ago when my kids were young.  Don't despair, though:  there is still a lot of Steck around if you are patient.  Besides ebay, try craigslist, yard sales (especially in the "nice" neighborhoods  ;) ) thrift stores, etc.  Even on ebay, the prices for MISB Steck sets are often no more expensive than their original retail price (a 3666 large castle originally had a MSRP of around $200.00) 

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2009, 17:27:59 »
:wave:  Hi KM!  I wondered if that was you! 

I agree with you that the medieval sets are (were) wonderful.  Those are the ones that really got me going on Playmobil about 12 years ago when my kids were young.  Don't despair, though:  there is still a lot of Steck around if you are patient.  Besides ebay, try craigslist, yard sales (especially in the "nice" neighborhoods  ;) ) thrift stores, etc.  Even on ebay, the prices for MISB Steck sets are often no more expensive than their original retail price (a 3666 large castle originally had a MSRP of around $200.00) 

Yep.  That was me, allright.  Thanks for the advice about other sources.  I will continue the quest...
CARPE KLICKY!