Author Topic: THW jeep and trailer  (Read 7979 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
THW jeep and trailer
« on: October 27, 2008, 16:45:13 »
The first THW custom completed - a jeep and small trailer.  Quite straight forward custom as it's basically a repaint job.  However, the windscreen is the one used on the current jeeps (e.g. in set 4189) as this allows the new top to be used.  Also, the front bumper (fender) is a custom as the current design is not a straight replacement for the original and needs some awkward work done on it.  I plan to fit the jerry can with a cap and repaint it in THW blue.

Edit:  I've just realised that I forgot to fit the blue light, so I'll take a photo tomorrow with it on and finish this topic then.  More haste, less speed, as they say.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: THW jeep and trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 19:55:58 »
Excellent custom Gordon! I already enjoyed your other THW theme reviews, & now this additional custom makes it even better!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 23:20:41 »
Great little Jeep, :wow:.
Real neat background.  Great idea!

Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:03:27 »
That is a nice jeep Gordon! I am just curious if THW puts winches on all their vehicles or just certain ones that have specific tasks assigned to them?

Gepetto

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:07:30 »
That is a nice jeep Gordon! I am just curious if THW puts winches on all their vehicles or just certain ones that have specific tasks assigned to them?

Gepetto

From the ones I've looked at on the web, only the GKWs (the 3880 fire engine type in my 4082 mega set review - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=2610.0) have winches. 

Strangely enough, just before you posted I had been thinking maybe add a winch to the jeep, but then thought "No".
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:14:51 »
Hello Gordon,

It just seemed that you would want any vehicle involved in any facet of rescue to be as flexible as possible and a winch offers a lot of versatility for seemingly little overhead. But i speak as an outside observer, not someone who has any experience in this field.

Gepetto

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 10:19:33 »
Hello Gordon,

Excelent custom as allways ! You allways do such a good job on the paint work that you really can't tell that it has been painted. Where do you do your painting Gordon ? I allways do my painting outside but find that the 'atmosphere' has a lot of effect on the paint. I tried varnishing something a while ago and it was either too hot or too cold and in the end the varnish came out looking like it had a very fine layer of mist on the surface :o

Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline noodwachter72

• Playmo Lover
  • Noodwachter Dutch civil defense
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:36:09 »
this jeep has nicely succeeded also Gordon

here at I post my jeep die at the comando group stand.
The is  in civil divens grey the same type.

groet Peter  :wow: :wow: :wow:
the imposable wy do direct
wonders take some time

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 15:23:23 »
Hello Gordon,

It just seemed that you would want any vehicle involved in any facet of rescue to be as flexible as possible and a winch offers a lot of versatility for seemingly little overhead. But i speak as an outside observer, not someone who has any experience in this field.

Gepetto

On the THW I'm no expert, Gepetto, but it seems that THW vehicles always turn out in pre-determined groups and these always have a GKW in the group and, therefore, a winch.  I'm using the jeep as a stand-in for the car custom which I can't do until their is warmer weather for painting it.  As such, the jeep is acting as an ELW, that is a small command and control unit.  When the car is ready, that will act as the command and control unit and the jeep will become an auxiliary vehicle used for whatever purpose is needed.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 15:43:27 »
Thank you for the explanation Gordon, it makes perfect sense. I also agree with Tim in that your paint jobs are impeccable! I am more like Bill and am afraid to try painting for fear I will ruin something.

Gepetto