Author Topic: 5840 new Target set  (Read 7919 times)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: 5840 new Target set
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 13:50:35 »
One thing interesting about the set, though, is the subtitle "Chevaliers et dragon" in the lower left of the box.

It's odd that Playmobil would use "et" (Mississippi slang, past tense of "to eat") but the fact these new knights are dragon eaters is sort of a cool twist.

Luckily, with the dragon being cheap, soft plastic, les chevaliers ne casseront pas leurs dents.

-Tim

It's not Mississipi slang, it's French: 'et' in French = 'and' in English ;) The set is probably also destined for the Canadian market.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 13:57:29 »
It's not Mississipi slang, it's French: 'et' in French = 'and' in English ;) The set is probably also destined for the Canadian market.

Hook, line and sinker, Tim, another one for your keep net.

Offline Kelly

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 22:30:22 »

It's odd that Playmobil would use "et" (Mississippi slang, past tense of "to eat") but the fact these new knights are dragon eaters is sort of a cool twist.

-Tim

I ain't never heard nobody say "et" like that - everyone knows it's eat. Fer example: "I eat the rest of them dragon chops yesterday."  Besides, it's them Louisiana folks who eats everythin' . . .

The language here can be slow and painful, as can the shipments of new toys to Target - mine still hasn't gotten anything new.

Kelly (from Mississippi)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 22:39:12 by Kelly »

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 20:09:21 »
Picked one up myself (new animal after all). I have one of almost every animal Playmobil has ever produced and this dragon is by far the worst. The real problem here is the plastic that the wings are made out of. It's that same soft plastic that the nun's habit was made of and like the habit it doesn't want to hold tightly to the harder plastic of the joint. This plastic type is fine when used as part of a molding - like in the new Marlin - but it just does not work when used as part of a joint. There's really no structural reason or aesthetic why the wings should be made of the soft stuff, and every reason to make them of the harder plastics. I'm surprised this made it past play testing (if it was).

Offline seawarrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 19:08:03 »
i saw this at a normal toy store
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings!

Offline Jahme88

• Klicky Hick
  • Playmo Enthusiast
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 07:27:14 »
i saw this at a normal toy store

Could you define "Normal Toystore"?  I don't know of any left in my neck of the woods.  All the big box mega marts ate all the mom and pop shops up......

....like dragons et the chevaliers.   >:D
------------
Jamie Jo

"Peace, Love and Little Plastic People"

Offline seawarrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 23:20:48 »
like a toystore that sells just toys
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 07:20:28 »
Unfortunately as Jamie Jo says, they're a dying breed.

I have TRU, Hamleys, and one small independent that fall into this category, and only TRU can compete on price. Hamleys trade on their name, but I rarely buy there as they mark everything up about 25%.

The other toy stores are all single departments in department stores.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 08:33:13 »
mmm - it seems as if I am the lucky one here. There's a toy-shops in nearly every village. Some may be part of a chain or franchise; but they are dedicated toyshops none the less.
So, in my direct area, I have a choice of 6 dedicated toyshops and 3 or 4 other stores who carry toys. All of the have quite some Playmobil ...

The prices can vary though - shopping around is definitly recommended.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 09:40:00 »
Here I have a toyshop in Ripon, about 2 miles away, another in Wetherby, about 18 miles, and another in Northallerton, again about 18 miles, all of whom stock Playmobil.  In Helmsley, I suppose about 18 miles again, there is another fantastic toyshop, all nooks and crannies, but no PM.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”