Author Topic: Giant Steps are what you take...  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Giant Steps are what you take...
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:30:58 »

Heading home...

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Giant Steps are what you take...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:41:02 »

BRILLIANT PHOTOS !!!

Fantastic pictures, Martin!

I have never seen a "poem" written without words. However, your images could easily be the first "wordless" poem that I have ever seen.

This is wonderful, Martin!

Thank you very much,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:53:08 »

BRILLIANT PHOTOS !!!

Fantastic pictures, Martin!

I have never seen a "poem" written without words. However, your images could easily be the first "wordless" poem that I have ever seen.

This is wonderful, Martin!

Thank you very much,
Richard

Richard says it all, Martin.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 13:14:22 »
Nicely done.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 13:15:11 »

:love: :love: :love:

L :heart: V E  the little footprints your explorer left in the sand and all the wavy patterns left by the water.

These photos are very peaceful and inspiring. :wow:

Thanks for reminding me what a beautiful place a beach can be. :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 15:13:28 »
Great photo series, thanks for posting them

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 16:12:57 »
Thanks Guys!

I took these pictures mostly on the beach at Glencolmcille in Co Donegal, Ireland, plus a couple (the cave and the third from last) at The Silver Strand, about 10 miles further west along the coast. All the footprints were genuinely made by someone else, except the explorer's own which I made - after the first 3 where I forgot and just plonked him down.

I was struck by the variety of patterns and textures of the sand, depending on where on the beach it occurs, and of course the transience of the prints - none wold remain beyond the next tide or rain shower.

Apart from the 2 human and dog prints, I was delighted by the 2 different bird prints and a set of sheep tracks. The circular dip is a burrowing creature of some sort, waiting for the next tide.

The deep diver is an excellent companion for a beach adventure - I got a few nice shots of him diving rockpools:

The Flaggy shore. I dumped him in this pool (watched by 4 bemused friends) just before a big wave broke. He genuinely is just a yard from the sea. He had moved in the pool and I took the shot before hurriedly retrieving him. You see the curvature of the Earth on the horizon.

I discovered that if you drop the diver from a height, he'll bob to the surface again before sinking gently to the bottom. This was a great pool for him to explore, but not so great for pictures.

Pool life. There's seasnails, limpits, an anemone, several plants obviously, and a couple of shrimp if you look closely. The crab I confess was planted by me, it was sadly dead (or a discarded shell) but too good to waste. This tiny pool was nestled on the rocks near Doolin, and basking in hot sunshine.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 16:44:45 »
Wonderful photos Martin!! Thank you for sharing them, Sylvia is right about the tranquility the series can induce.

Gepetto

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 23:44:37 »
Hi Martin!

Wonderful indeed! & Amusing. & VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!

The first series made me (actually the two first footprints), for no particular reason that I can say, remember the end of (the classic one) Planet of the Apes ... Maybe because of some sort of feeling of solitude, in a place that looks like another planet and, well, it's our own earth.

Pretty corageous explorer, walking (and diving) around all alone ...

Beautiful again, and poetic indeed.
And quite Sci-fi.

& You're having a lot of fun with him aye? :lol: This is the best part!

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 20:14:03 »

I think it was Bogro who said that he looks like (/can be converted into) an astronaut ... Indeed, the last picture looks like an astronaut in a distant planet. (Not Mars, because Mars is red, but whatever we can imagine ...)

(All of them on the sand, actually, including the ones with footprints: an inhabited planet ...)

Gus
Gus